• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food question

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Hi

Sorry I know I've read someone on the forum about a good type of food to give bunnies to avoid selective eating and sloppy poos but I can't seem to find the post anywhere (always the way when you're looking for one :lol: !)

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I know as soon as I see the name I'll know it! :)

Thanks

Amelia

Thanks Tamsin, think it was Supreme science selective.

Sorry another question, where can I buy this? :)

Their website states this:

Science – Selective is available from your local pet shop or veterinary surgery. If you would like us to locate a stockist near you, send an email to russel@suppet.co.uk, stating Selective stockists and your address.

They'll be able to tell you. :D

Thanks very much for the email.

Sorry one more question (last one I promise :lol: )

Is this feed generally popular with rabbits?

It all depends on the rabbit. If a rabbit is used to eating other things which it likes better ie. treats, junk food etc. or even a pet shop 'rabbit mix', then they will probably put up a protest! :lol: However, I have never had any problems with any of my buns eating it, but maybe others on the forum have.

Some ill-informed owners feed their rabbits things like pizza, ice cream, chips, crisps, biscuits :shock: , this is just asking for trouble with regards to health problems and the bun also develops a taste for the wrong things. Providing the rabbit is getting good quality 'rabbit' food then there shouldn't be a problem changing over gradually. After all, if they don't eat the pellet food, then there's always the hay, veggies and grass. A rabbit won't starve itself.

When I swapped from russel rabbit carrot & leek to the supreme science my buns liked it better. They'd pick the pellets out and eat those first (I mixed the two together to switch them over)!

You can get it from www.petplanet.co.uk too.

Tam

bunnyhuggger said:
Some ill-informed owners feed their rabbits things like pizza, ice cream, chips, crisps, biscuits .

:shock:

Can't believe people feed their rabbits these! And there was me feeling a bit bad feeding my bunnies rabbit treats!

Mine are currently on the food with the big green bits in (i think it's called Excel but not 100% - gosh just realised that makes me sound really bad (I'm not honest!!) but I get it from a massive pet warehouse - will check next time I go)

I've just noticed that they seem to be leaving out certain types and also doing a few sloppy poos and I'd read positive things about the Supreme science)

Thanks very much for the help :)

the pet shop where I gotmy buns advisedme to use russell rabbit which they had been weened onto at the shop. I fed them supreme excel and have now got them onto science selective following advice from this site. They seemed to prefer the pellets to the mix and I've had no problems changing their diet.

All mine were canged over to clarck and butcher pellits a few years ago and its great, no waste no picking the best bits out. Its also lower in protine whitch cuts out most of the night poos as i call them. The rabbits dont tend to get overweight ethier. You might find they wont like the change but dont give in, they get used to it quicly if you dont mix your regular food in. The complete pellits means you dont have to introduce it slowly as you would to another diet because its so bland it wont upset their tummys. Mine has the added bonus of being poisonous to rodents, so no mice. I have a lot of rabbits and before i changed i had a mouse problem. val

I've just changed my bunny over to science selective. He likes it.
If you go to their website www.russelrabbit.com there is information about their products. Here is the science selective page:
http://www.fswebpages.co.uk/pv.exe?p=suk118
you can email them with your town and they will tell you the nearest stockist, also you can email them for a free sample. there is a map on there that u can click on to see your nearest stockist. http://www.russelrabbit.com/maps/index.html
I go to a petshop in Fleet who sell the pellets.
Chris

Thanks very much for the website. i've just had a look and the nearest supplier is about an hours car ride away.

Think I might see if I can buy it online as, as much as I love my bunnies, I don't fancy driving an hour everytime I want to buy them so more food :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
Some ill-informed owners feed their rabbits things like pizza, ice cream, chips, crisps, biscuits :shock: ,

:shock: :shock: :shock:
its a Rabbit!!! not a dustbin!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :lol:

Still pondering over which food to get.... would people reccommend the Allen & Page or the Science Selective?

Thanks

Amelia

I pick up my first 10Kg bag od Allen and Page from my farm shop tomorrow. £7.00! Not bad :eek:

I'll let you know what my buns think of it. They are currently on a 1/2 Burgess Excel Pellets and 1/2 Burgess Deluxe Mixed food.

It will be a gradual transition but I'll post on here if they prefer the Allen and Page.

I liked the look of it because it has no additives or "fake" products. Even the Brugess Supa-Fruiti is "sprayed" with a peach flavouring.

My guess is the Allen and Page is more natural and A LOT cheaper.

Thanks very much, mine are also on half burgess excel and half something else (I can never remember the name of it) with big green things in, but I'd like to get them on to something that doesn't encourage them to selective eat amongst other things.

Allen & Page seems a lot easier to track down than science selective!

I think it depends where in the UK you are, round here a couple of shops & my vet stocks SS but I haven't seen A&P :) You can buy it online from www.petplanet.co.uk

Its made by the same people the do russel rabbit which is quite common so if you find a shop selling that they can probably order you a bag.

Tam

Back