• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits stopped using tunnel (not my setp)

Den

Mama Doe
Wasn't sure where to post this so starting here.

One of my Facebook friends messaged me last night to see if I had any ideas why her (grownup) daughters two rabbits have gradually stopped using the tunnel linking hutch to run.

They used it last year when it was first attached but now stay in the hutch.

Pictures below. I've suggested she puts a hidey house in it and water and am waiting to hear back what happens if she actually puts the rabbits in the run - whether they go straight back to the hutch.

I wonder if they've been spooked - possibly when the trampolines in use?

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Hmm...the bunny in the bottom hutch looks pretty big! Maybe he/she has put weight on and the tunnel is a bit tight?

Yours are good suggestions :thumb: I would wonder if they have been spooked in the run or whilst in the tunnel? Or if they have sore hocks or any mobility problems? Or if they find the run uninviting? It looks like they must be going in the run as the grass is nibbled short, unless it's an old photo?

It looks like that rabbit on the bottom might struggle a bit, maybe it got stuck and now doesn't want to try again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a set up from run around, consisting of a pipe into a hay hutch, then another pipe leading into a large pen. My bridge bun Toffee absolutely loved it, and would spend hours sitting in the dark in the hay hutch. His sister Treacle, on the other hand, was and is still terrified. She would get as far as the hay hutch, then sit thumping, wouldn't go backwards or forwards. I had to take the lid off and pick her up and put her back in the shed ! I still don't know why, maybe they do get spooked and remember ! It could be the vibrations maybe from the trampoline ?

It's a mystery.

I've found out the trampoline has only been there since Thursday and the rabbits stopped using the run before that.

If they are put in the run they go straight up the tunnel back to the hutch so I guess they don't feel safe.

I've suggested she puts a ' bolthole' in there and some stuff from the hutch which is familiar to them.

I think they'll keep trying as they asked my advice before they got 'a rabbit' and got 2 with hutch and run connected.

Maybe it's too sunny, too wet, too open? Maybe a (new) cat's turned up (although in our case Lopsy just hid in the tunnel)? Maybe they've decided they CBA to move as there's so much food indoors? Just a few suggestions :)

Back