• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations - long term health issue bunnies, what would you do?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I am really stressing over my bunnies vacs right now and am wondering what you guys would do. Their regular Myxi/RHD1 vaccinations are now overdue by a month (While I watched and waited for symptoms with their flare ups).

They are both 6, spayed and indoor bunnies. (Cookie is in the conservatory, Lola the dining room) The route of Cookies problems seems to be Pasteurella flare ups. This has been ongoing for I'm guessing nearly a year, affecting her breathing. It seems to respond to Sulfatrim so she goes on a course of that when the symptom starts. Then she is well again for a few months then it returns. Back on Sulfatrim etc. She has not been on a course for almost a couple of months now. She is starting to look a little frailer now. Only a little bit that only I would notice, but eating etc is all ok. Today she seems she may be starting with the fast breathing increase again and her eye is runny but she has got a blob of fur in it so that may be why. She has never had runny eyes with it before so I inclined to think its the fur. I am spying on her to see if her respiration is faster when resting or if she's just been moving around prior to me seeing her.

Lola has an undiagnosed super sensitive stomach condition. She has real trouble with mushy ceacals and is on such a limited diet, any deviation and it looks like shes eaten a vindaloo the night before :shock: I'm wondering if it is ceacal dysbiosis. Her eating is fine. A couple of weeks ago she was off and went out of her routine, but seems back on track now although passed a load of mush a couple of days ago. Today she seems to be making correct ceacals. She is also very grunty/snuffly at times which makes me wonder if Pasteurella troubles her too. When she has her combi vacs it makes round her eyes go redder and a little swollen but otherwise ok with them.

Now I am stressing that neither are healthy enough for their regular vacs, let alone Filavac. I am terrified of the new strain of the disease and it is getting closer all the time. I know my vet is usually very much of the just vaccinate anyway thought (and they still have to get Filavac in last time I asked) But I am frankly terrified of them having them, but even more terrified of them not having them. I'm getting really paranoid at us bringing it in the house. I don't know what to do, but I need to get a move on! Lola potentially is the most stable. But Cookie, I really don't know. Do any of you have experience vaccinating unhealthy rabbits, especially ones troubled with Pasteurella?

(Sorry for the long post)

I am really stressing over my bunnies vacs right now and am wondering what you guys would do. Their regular Myxi/RHD1 vaccinations are now overdue by a month (While I watched and waited for symptoms with their flare ups).

They are both 6, spayed and indoor bunnies. (Cookie is in the conservatory, Lola the dining room) The route of Cookies problems seems to be Pasteurella flare ups. This has been ongoing for I'm guessing nearly a year, affecting her breathing. It seems to respond to Sulfatrim so she goes on a course of that when the symptom starts. Then she is well again for a few months then it returns. Back on Sulfatrim etc. She has not been on a course for almost a couple of months now. She is starting to look a little frailer now. Only a little bit that only I would notice, but eating etc is all ok. Today she seems she may be starting with the fast breathing increase again and her eye is runny but she has got a blob of fur in it so that may be why. She has never had runny eyes with it before so I inclined to think its the fur. I am spying on her to see if her respiration is faster when resting or if she's just been moving around prior to me seeing her.

Lola has an undiagnosed super sensitive stomach condition. She has real trouble with mushy ceacals and is on such a limited diet, any deviation and it looks like shes eaten a vindaloo the night before :shock: I'm wondering if it is ceacal dysbiosis. Her eating is fine. A couple of weeks ago she was off and went out of her routine, but seems back on track now although passed a load of mush a couple of days ago. Today she seems to be making correct ceacals. She is also very grunty/snuffly at times which makes me wonder if Pasteurella troubles her too. When she has her combi vacs it makes round her eyes go redder and a little swollen but otherwise ok with them.

Now I am stressing that neither are healthy enough for their regular vacs, let alone Filavac. I am terrified of the new strain of the disease and it is getting closer all the time. I know my vet is usually very much of the just vaccinate anyway thought (and they still have to get Filavac in last time I asked) But I am frankly terrified of them having them, but even more terrified of them not having them. I'm getting really paranoid at us bringing it in the house. I don't know what to do, but I need to get a move on! Lola potentially is the most stable. But Cookie, I really don't know. Do any of you have experience vaccinating unhealthy rabbits, especially ones troubled with Pasteurella?

(Sorry for the long post)

I understand your dilemma. If its of any help I have 2 'health compromised' Rabbits and they have both had their Nobivac Myxo-RHD and Filivac. Lord Herbert has been the biggest concern as his health problems are very complex and very unpredictable. He did have a relapse after his Nobivac last year and I had decided not to vaccinate him again. Then RHD2 became a MAJOR problem. After much discussion with my Vet, who also contacted Richard Saunders (RWAF Vet) for advice, Lord H has received both the Filivac and another Nobivac. This time he had no adverse reaction at all, to either vaccine.

Given the serious nature of the RHD2 situation I would say that in most cases the risks of not vaccinating by far out-weigh the any potential risk of vaccinating. But of course the decision has to be made by the Rabbit's owner and the Vet.

Filavac (RHD2 vaccine) also gives protection against RHD1. But it does not give any protection against Myxomatosis.

Thank you Jane. It really is a huge worry isnt it. Like Lord H, it is just very unpredictable how they will respond to it. I am glad your bunnies are all vaccinated now and the peace of mind it brings. This new strain is especially terrifying, and I am seeing far far too many reports of deaths to ignore the chance mine will not get it now. Like you say the risks of not going for it are outweighing anything else now. That is my thought too.

I think while Lola is stable ish I will book her in early next week for Nobivac, see how she goes and at the same time speak to the vet (again!) about stocking Filavac. I will know by then if Cookie is mid flare up or not to aid the decision about her. Maybe with Cookie if anything the greater risk is the RHD, and Filavac would be best to try her with first if she gets protection from 1&2 from it and then if no issue go for Nobivac a month after. Maybe she carries a little myxi immunity from her previous Nobivacs that can tie her over.

It's going to be a worrying time for sure :(

Thank you Jane. It really is a huge worry isnt it. Like Lord H, it is just very unpredictable how they will respond to it. I am glad your bunnies are all vaccinated now and the peace of mind it brings. This new strain is especially terrifying, and I am seeing far far too many reports of deaths to ignore the chance mine will not get it now. Like you say the risks of not going for it are outweighing anything else now. That is my thought too.

I think while Lola is stable ish I will book her in early next week for Nobivac, see how she goes and at the same time speak to the vet (again!) about stocking Filavac. I will know by then if Cookie is mid flare up or not to aid the decision about her. Maybe with Cookie if anything the greater risk is the RHD, and Filavac would be best to try her with first if she gets protection from 1&2 from it and then if no issue go for Nobivac a month after. Maybe she carries a little myxi immunity from her previous Nobivacs that can tie her over.

It's going to be a worrying time for sure :(

This is just my personal opinion, but I'd try to locate a Vet who has the Filivac in stock and get both girls vaccinated with it ASAP. Full immune response to Filivac takes just 7 days. So 2+ weeks after that the Nobivac can be given. A full immune response to Nobivac takes 21 days.

Again just my personal opinion, but at the moment I think RHD2 is a much bigger threat than Myxo. And as I said in my previous post, the Filivac covers for both RHD1 + RHD2.

Just booked Lola for Wednesday, I asked and they still don't have the Filavac in as the last they heard was that they needed a license but said to have a chat with the vet and see what she says about getting it as I told her there have been confirmed deaths closer and closer to us from the new strain and I'll go armed with info of the (3 is it?) suppliers.

At least as there will be a delay in me getting hold of it here then Lola has Nobivac in the meantime while waiting (and fingers crossed no adverse reaction) and it gives them 3 weeks to locate Filavac (or me find another vet here with it) and the situation with Cookie will be clearer if she can have anything at all with the priority being giving Filavac first. If we can get it sooner and she is stable as she can be :/ then I will go for it. That is really good the immunity is in 7 days for that one. I think if Cookie does have it and is ok, I might give her longer than the 7 days to have Nobivac after as she is immune system compromised. In the meantime I will keep up with the no windows open, no shoes/coats anywhere other than the furthest room away, washed hands before touching the rabbits etc. I haven't even dared put the bins on the ground outside incase it picks anything up and I bring it in with me.

Thank you for the info. I feel much better being able to give facts to the vet and hopefully prompt them into action for all the bunnies registered at the surgery aswell as my own. If they know I am willing to go to another surgery for it, it may make them think about getting it in quicker xxx

Just booked Lola for Wednesday, I asked and they still don't have the Filavac in as the last they heard was that they needed a license but said to have a chat with the vet and see what she says about getting it as I told her there have been confirmed deaths closer and closer to us from the new strain and I'll go armed with info of the (3 is it?) suppliers.

At least as there will be a delay in me getting hold of it here then Lola has Nobivac in the meantime while waiting (and fingers crossed no adverse reaction) and it gives them 3 weeks to locate Filavac (or me find another vet here with it) and the situation with Cookie will be clearer if she can have anything at all with the priority being giving Filavac first. If we can get it sooner and she is stable as she can be :/ then I will go for it. That is really good the immunity is in 7 days for that one. I think if Cookie does have it and is ok, I might give her longer than the 7 days to have Nobivac after as she is immune system compromised. In the meantime I will keep up with the no windows open, no shoes/coats anywhere other than the furthest room away, washed hands before touching the rabbits etc. I haven't even dared put the bins on the ground outside incase it picks anything up and I bring it in with me.

Thank you for the info. I feel much better being able to give facts to the vet and hopefully prompt them into action for all the bunnies registered at the surgery aswell as my own. If they know I am willing to go to another surgery for it, it may make them think about getting it in quicker xxx

Please pass on this info to your Vet ASAP

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rvhd2/

Thank you Jane, that was the one I read this morning, I had been looking up so many things I lost the link where I'd seen it. Probably something shared by someone on Facebook now hidden by the millions of pointless posts by some of my FB 'friends'. I will print off a hard copy to give them as the situation really is serious. Hopefully over the next few days my two will show no more signs of anything with their current conditions and they can be deemed fit enough for it. I can't live with the worry of them being unvaccinated.

Back