• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis after spay

Miss-holly

New Kit
Long story short I took my girl in to get spayed last Friday and there was an incident during the surgery and the vet cut into her gut too.

She seems to be herself in terms of personality and activeness, but she refuses to eat her pellets, only very little hay and kale, she's not drinking much, although I did seem to improve that today by giving her a bowl of water instead of her bottle.

The thing that is worrying me the most is the fact she is hardly pooing, we seemed to be getting somewhere yesterday where there was a fair bit, although still really small, but today I've only seen several small bits

I've been giving her Metacam and Baytril once daily, and Ranatidine 3x daily since Friday, been hand feeding her curly kale that is dripping in water, and today gave her some garden time in hopes that the bit of exercise would get her bowel moving, was wondering if anyone had any advice for anything else I could try, or is it just a waiting game at this point?

F8138C84-CC2A-4555-A1B9-FB3E3F017021_zpsiohxzzme.jpg

Long story short I took my girl in to get spayed last Friday and there was an incident during the surgery and the vet cut into her gut too.

She seems to be herself in terms of personality and activeness, but she refuses to eat her pellets, only very little hay and kale, she's not drinking much, although I did seem to improve that today by giving her a bowl of water instead of her bottle.

The thing that is worrying me the most is the fact she is hardly pooing, we seemed to be getting somewhere yesterday where there was a fair bit, although still really small, but today I've only seen several small bits

I've been giving her Metacam and Baytril once daily, and Ranatidine 3x daily since Friday, been hand feeding her curly kale that is dripping in water, and today gave her some garden time in hopes that the bit of exercise would get her bowel moving, was wondering if anyone had any advice for anything else I could try, or is it just a waiting game at this point?

I am sorry that her spay did not go too well. Personally I would want a Rabbit savvy Vet to examine her again asap as it sounds as though her gut motility is still significantly reduced. This could be due to the fact that her intestines were accidentally damaged.

Are you giving her syringe feeds ? This may be necessary as if she is hardly eating her GI tract will not function well. But it is necessary for a Vet to examine her to determine whether syringe feeding is appropriate.

I really hope that she will show more signs of improvement soon.

I'm not syringe feeding her because she will eat, I've seen her in her hutch eating hay, and I've also hand fed her some kale so I know is going in, just seems to be reluctant to come out the other end, she does have an appointment tomorrow for another checkup, but if I don't like what I hear I may have to go to another vet, they are doing their best for her, I'm just worried cos it seems to be such a slow process. She seemed to be really happy to get to hop around the garden earlier so I'm hoping it perks her up a bit.

I usually give Infacol (infant baby gas meds) to try and get things moving down there.

http://www.infacol.co.uk

One ml per hour for the first three doses, then three times daily.

There are other things to try, but best to call the vet, and take it stage by stage. Given they seem to have (inadvertently) caused a problem I hope they will be very helpful?

I usually give Infacol (infant baby gas meds) to try and get things moving down there.

http://www.infacol.co.uk

One ml per hour for the first three doses, then three times daily.

There are other things to try, but best to call the vet, and take it stage by stage. Given they seem to have (inadvertently) caused a problem I hope they will be very helpful?

They are being very helpful I think, the vet even said he's been having sleepless nights as he's never messed up like that before.

She's got an appointment tomorrow morning so hopefully they can help me more then, she seems to be improving just at a very slow rate, and I was worried it was me just being impatient, the first couple of days she hardly moved and ate a few bites, no poo at all, now she's quite active, eating more (not as much as usual of course)

They are being very helpful I think, the vet even said he's been having sleepless nights as he's never messed up like that before.

She's got an appointment tomorrow morning so hopefully they can help me more then, she seems to be improving just at a very slow rate, and I was worried it was me just being impatient, the first couple of days she hardly moved and ate a few bites, no poo at all, now she's quite active, eating more (not as much as usual of course)

Your vet sounds very compassionate :love:

It often takes a few days after a spay for normal eating and pooping to return, but depending on where the 'accident' happened, it may take a bit of laxative to get the contents of the gut through. That's why I was reluctant to make suggestions, but you could ask your vet if that sort of thing would be appropriate.

The Infacol would cause no problems at all, whether pooping or not :)

Back