• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely guinea piggie

CometLucy195

Alpha Buck
I know this is the rabbit forum, but I have a piggie issue.
My guinea pig Teddy lost his brother Vanilla 3 weeks ago. They are about 6 and had been together all their lives. After Vanilla died, Teddy didn't come out of his bed for a week, it was awful, felt so sorry for him. He wasn't even coming out for treats. He's come out a bit now and comes squeaking over to see me when I go and see him. I've moved him into a single storey hutch which sits inside a run as I noticed he was struggling with the ramp down into the run.
Anyway, I've decided not to get more guineas going forward, but I feel so bad for him on his own. I did look for another elderly male but there are only young ones in the local rescues. I don't want to get one which would be on his own if Teddy went earlier. Its a real dilemma. Do you think a cuddly toy would help? Should I move him closer to the rabbits? Are guineas ok on their own? Ill put him in the bunny shed over winter but his hutch has always been on the lawn even over winter and he had Vanilla to snuggle with. I can't bring him inside, there's nowhere to put him in our new house. Any ideas?

I'm sorry you lost Vanilla. Guineas can be such sweet things. In the past, when my mum lost a piggie, she put a cuddly in with the remaining one. I don't know how much it helped him though. He ended up passing away shortly afterwards too. :( Is it possible you could maybe foster a youngster until Teddy passes on, if a local rescue to you would allow it maybe?

Fostering might work. If he is neutered, you could foster a couple of girls, then they could stay together afterwards as well. If he isn't neutered, then a young boar might be an option. Otherwise, he might appreciate more attention from his people.

Hmm fostering may work, but he's not neutered so it'd have to be a boy. Don't know anything about bonding guineas though. I do worry about giving up the fostered one though, I get so worried about where they'd end up but I guess the rescue would sort that. Ill call the rescue and talk it through.
I do give him as much attention as I can, but I've got 5 bunnies at various stages of bonding/setting up their set ups etc, it's not the same as another guinea though. I've put him nearer the house but there's a large patio and he prefers the grass so he's on the lawn.
Ill try the soft toy too, maybe that will help.
Thanks

Bonding piggies is a lot easier than rabbits - ie. hours rather than weeks. Girls usually accept other girls without any issues. I settle the newbie in for a few days so they know their way round and the new routine, then leave them together and watch them a bit that day. Boys may take a bit more attention as they may not get on as easily. Might be best to sort it out with the rescue you are fostering for and let him pick a new (boy) friend so you know they like each other. Some matches may not work, and a trio of boys will probably be unstable.

Back