• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

some questions from a novice!

helen

New Kit
am in the process of adopting two buns which i found on the rabbit rehome site....the last bunny i had was a "hand me down"!! he was a friends daughters who had grown out of him (aaawwww) unfortunatley he died a few months ago as he wasnt a young bunny to start with...so we are trying again...but with babies ....the lady that has them isnt sure what sex they are....so i wondered, if the are boy and girl
A) how old before they start breeding?
B) i have read that females cant be spayed till 6 months old ,
how old for boys?
what im bascically asking is how long can i keep them together safely before the want to do what bunnies do!!!?
C) any easy way of sexing the rabbits?
thanks

Helen

I think it can be about two months old when they can get pregnant but im very probably wrong, the best way to check sex is to go to a vet. Pet shops are reknown for getting it wrong. I think its preferable to wait about 6 months for both sexes before they are neutured or spayed, give them time to grow and mature through puberty. Congratulations on new bunnies

I think boys can be done earlier than 6 months.

Somebody on here should be able to tell you.

Boys can be done from 4 months I think. Providing they're big enough, healthy enough and that they're actually ready to be done. I also got Cassidy spayed before 6 months as she matured early. She was fully grown and making everyone's life an absolute misery. Poor little Chips was living in fear, and so was my furniture. Took her in to see the vet who said she'd be fine for the op, so we went ahead and there were no problems at all. I think she was about 5 months old.

Bucks can be done as soon as their testicals have droped, he will be trying to mount the doe before this you must keep turning him over to check. Idealyi would seperate them because it could happen over night and you would end up will babys. You can reunite them once he has been done. val

2 new bunnies!!

just a quick update...i now have my two bunnies....now officially called Smudge and Fudge....needed to be "unisex" names as i havent a clue what they are right now....although i did read the "sexing rabbits" thread and have been put off for life!!! :shock:
they are very cute!!
thanks for that great link Lynda! :wink:

lol....they are white fluffy things!! :D ....possibly lionhead cross! and as soon as i figure out how to get pics on here...i'll do it! :rabbit2:

Awwwwwwwwwww they sound lovely!!! My little lionhead crosses are 9wks old and yes it can be worrying not knowing for sure what sex they are! I keep checking and my hubby says I'm going to give them a complex lol.
Sexing buns is difficult when you are inexperienced. You look at one and then the other and you're still not sure what's what :shock:
I'm fairy sure that mine are both males, well I hope so anyway!
Best of luck sexing yours :)

Back