• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

There is a patch of fur missing on my bun

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So every Feb., my 2 buns shed their fur. So what I do is dry comb them, I also use the exotic pet clipper to trim off their top coat, I do all these to prevent Gi stasis of my 2 buns licking their fur in their stomach. As I dry comb my bun Bobby, a patch of fur is pull off his skin, in the past many years, this has happened to 3 different buns. And they always grow back the fur off the skin, as well as the trimmed top coat.

This time, the patch of fur that I pull off, about the size of 2 x $1 coin, didn't grow back, as it's now May, and their fur shedding season is over. What could be happening?

Oh dear! I don't know. Does it look sore i.e. red? Is it swollen, or anything untoward other than simply a bald patch? Does it look irritated? Does the rabbit "favour" this area, as in does he/she scratch it or lick it a lot? Have you had a look with a magnifying glass to see if you can see little white flecks which could be mites?

If the answer to any of the above is "yes" then you need a vet to check it over.

If the answer is no, then I don't know. What I would suggest though is if your bunny likes the sun, the bald area is now susceptible to sunburn so be very, very careful. Do not, however, apply human suncream as this could very well be toxic to rabbits.

Give it another few weeks and if there is no sign of the fur growing back, then maybe pop and see your vet for a check-up, make sure the fur follicles/roots haven't been damaged by you pulling it out. Fur should really grow back unless the roots have been damaged beyond repair. Did you see blood when the fur came away? If you did, then the damage could very well be permanent and you may have to change your method of combing them as it seems you may be being a little heavy-handed (sorry, no offence meant) if it always happens - but only if there was blood.

That said, if the fur is ready to come out, it will - I gently pluck our rabbits and plucked a small bald patch on Coco's shoulder last year; I was horrified :lol:! However, it grew back within about 6 weeks. But it was obviously ready to come away and she never batted an eyelid as I was doing it.

It could be that Bobby's fur is taking a little longer to come back, might be age related? I have no idea, I'm just guessing :) x

Last edited:
I'll take a photo under the sun and post it. It's not swollen or irritated. I have seen him licked it once and I have also seen his girlfriend licked it once.

I have given Aloe Vera 98% pure/natural/organic gel w/ the brand name Jason on the spot for the past 3 days. No mites. They are indoor bun, although there is sun that shine thru the windows. We don't have much sun in the past few weeks.

No blood come out a few mth. ago when I pull the fur.

It could be age related, as he's about 10 yr. old

So there is some bad news. Since I wrote the above, some small part of the skin did grow back some fur. But the other bun keep licking that spot in the past few months, I don't know if that affects the healing process or not. Today, there is an accident. As I try to grab him for a nail trim, that part of his body without the fur scratched the bunny castle. There is a cut about 1 cm x 1 mm. I can see the inside thru that gap.

The vet appointment is set for 7 hr. from now.

Last edited:
So there is some bad news. Since I wrote the above, some small part of the skin did grow back some fur. But the other bun keep licking that spot in the past few months, I don't know if that affects the healing process or not. Today, there is an accident. As I try to grab him for a nail trim, that part of his body without the fur scratched the bunny castle. There is a cut about 1 cm x 1 mm. I can see the inside thru that gap.

The vet appointment is set for 7 hr. from now.

Sorry not to see this sooner.

I'm really sorry for your little guy.

Good luck at the vet. I hope it goes OK x

Back