• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post op rabbit care

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Ginny was been spayed on wednesday and we done what the vet said and kept her in for 24 hours.

She is now moving around and do her business up against the hutch door again! :roll: and she is eating a little.

She has totally gone off super excel pellets..... any suggestions regarding to get her to eat them again also any suggestion regarding the post op care of her.

Hi there, I would not be too concerned that Ginny is not eating the pellets, just as long as she is eating hay, and a handful of veg..have you tried a few pieces of fresh herb?.
Hay is the main diet for rabbits, so as long as she is tucking into that and producing droppings you know something is being injested!.
Many of our sanctuary bunnies never have dried food, and live off hay and herbs only.

If she is lively and eating hay, I would not be concerned.
Eating lightly for a few days to a week post surgery is normal, so dont panic just yet, but perhaps you should contact your vet re painkillers for a fe wdays, if Ginny has not been given some already.
I would tempt Ginny with little bits of fresh food as her guts have probably slowed down a bit after the Op, so she is doing the right thing and not eating dried food just yet..she will do when shes ready though :D

I had a bit of a set to with my vet when my lops went into be spayed. They wouldn't give them back because they hadn't eaten yet. They kept them overnight, still no eating. I demanded them back, got them home, sat them down in front of some kale and away they went.

As Adele said, don't worry about the pellets. Try tempting her with her favourite veggies, but if she's eaten some hay then all is well. She's just a bit tender still and feeling sorry for herself. Just keep an eye on her poos and give her tummy a check every day for infection or pulled stitches.

Keep putting the pellets out for her and eventually she'll get hungry again.

thanks for the replies.... I checked on her this morning and she has moving around etc . I try and check her bun as much as I can during the day, becuase she is struggling to keep clean.... bless her.

It is abit hard to get to her and her partner Ron is standing guard over her. AWWWWW bless and if you are not careful he does go for your hand. I know this is because of her op, he was never like that before.

Back