• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits nail torn off.

edward

Young Bun
I don't know how but my rabbit ripped its toe nail how somehow. He was neutered 1 day ago if this is has anything to do with it. My vet told me not to let him outside for 2 days, I opened the door to the garden to check some things and he rushed out like crazy to go outside maybe he caught his nail on something while running to the door. By the time i got him inside i noticed blood marks all over the floor so the injury didn't happen outside. It didn't seem like it hurt him, he is still running like crazy but i put some hydrogen peroxide on his foot to disinfect it and didn't put any flour or corn starch on it as the bleeding stopped by its self. I did manage to get a quick glance at and i couldn't see a nail but i may be wrong, i put him back into his cage with news paper over his current bedding.
Should i be worried about this, he doesn't seem like it hurt him at all. If it has torn off, will it grow back?
There was no way i could call up my vet as they are closed now, this was my 2nd choice.
And i clipped his nails around a month ago.
Also I tried putting a bandage on it but he just doesn't stay still.

Last edited:
I don't know how but my rabbit ripped its toe nail how somehow. He was neutered 1 day ago if this is has anything to do with it. My vet told me not to let him outside for 2 days, I opened the door to the garden to check some things and he rushed out like crazy to go outside maybe he caught his nail on something while running to the door. By the time i got him inside i noticed blood marks all over the floor so the injury didn't happen outside. It didn't seem like it hurt him, he is still running like crazy but i put some hydrogen peroxide on his foot to disinfect it and didn't put any flour or corn starch on it as the bleeding stopped by its self. I did manage to get a quick glance at and i couldn't see a nail but i may be wrong, i put him back into his cage with news paper over his current bedding.
Should i be worried about this, he doesn't seem like it hurt him at all. If it has torn off, will it grow back?
There was no way i could call up my vet as they are closed now, this was my 2nd choice.
And i clipped his nails around a month ago.
Also I tried putting a bandage on it but he just doesn't stay still.

It will be absolutely fine edward :D

You look after him well - he's lucky you noticed it :)

Oh what a relief! I thought it was going to be something serious but I guess this must happen to them all the time in the wild :D

I agree- no intervention needed except keeping an eye on it. i can't imagine what a vet would do outside of that

Happened to one of mine twice unfortunately. But it's grown back . It looks so bad when there's blood everywhere but it will be fine.

Back