• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Tumor on foreleg - how much should she endure?

Wiserabbit

Young Bun
Long time since I've posted!

I've got a 7 year old dutch type doe called Verity. A week ago she started favouring her left foreleg and holding herself strangely. Our vet x-rayed the leg and found no break and prescribed painkillers. When we went back for a check up four days later, the vet said she could feel a hard mass, very tightly attached to the bone. She is going in next week for a biopsy to find out what this lump is. The vet has already raised the possibility of amputation of the leg.

She's no longer using this leg at all, but other than that is still ok. She's asking us to groom her face and ears for her as she can no longer reach (through repeated nudges until us stupid humans figure out where she wants to be scritched) but is still bouncing around perkily. She fights us at medicine time, although so far no one has been bitten, due to judicious application of banana.

I suppose this is the question - if this turns out to be a benign lump and the vet recommends and amputation and then she can lollop off happily for another x umber of years, then all well and good. What if it comes back saying its malignant? Am I right in thinking that if it's growing fast there may be others already in her body? Under those circumstances, would it be fair to put her through a limb amputation just for her to suffer further? When do we say "Enough?"

I'd really appreciate some input!

It's a decision that needs more info. I would wait for the results of the biopsy and discus the options with a trusted vet.

She may be able to live with the leg as it is - if it is 'just' a lump and not bothering her too much. Having both front legs enables them to groom and will help with balance and mobility, even if it's not fully functional. It depends on how the rabbit is coping and on the effectiveness of eg pain relief, and how much handling she will cope with.

Amputation isn't usually too big a deal. I have a tripod bun (front leg / accident). He managed so well that even the vet nurses forgot he had a leg missing - being black and fluffy makes it difficult to spot. They do need their ears checking more regularly as they can't groom properly with a missing leg.

If the mass is cancerous, I would want to know how fast it going to grow, if it has / may spread. Do the xrays you have already had done show the rest of her body? The lungs are often a secondary site. If it has spread, your options are more limited and you may be looking at quality of life. If it hasn't spread, you can discuss whether or not to amputate, or other alternatives. Part of the decision is a medical one based on test results (ie what is possible medically), the rest is on how you, your rabbit and your vet can manage the options you have. The decision may be different if the rabbit copes with a lot of handling, and you can provide appropriate care - versus a rabbit that hates people or you can't medicate / get to the vet / afford treatment, etc. Only you can make the decision, you have some time and expert backup (your vet and vet nurses) and you know your rabbit best. There is no absolute right or wrong answer. There are people on here who will have gone through similar. Keep us up to date when you have the results.

Long time since I've posted!

I've got a 7 year old dutch type doe called Verity. A week ago she started favouring her left foreleg and holding herself strangely. Our vet x-rayed the leg and found no break and prescribed painkillers. When we went back for a check up four days later, the vet said she could feel a hard mass, very tightly attached to the bone. She is going in next week for a biopsy to find out what this lump is. The vet has already raised the possibility of amputation of the leg.

She's no longer using this leg at all, but other than that is still ok. She's asking us to groom her face and ears for her as she can no longer reach (through repeated nudges until us stupid humans figure out where she wants to be scritched) but is still bouncing around perkily. She fights us at medicine time, although so far no one has been bitten, due to judicious application of banana.

I suppose this is the question - if this turns out to be a benign lump and the vet recommends and amputation and then she can lollop off happily for another x umber of years, then all well and good. What if it comes back saying its malignant? Am I right in thinking that if it's growing fast there may be others already in her body? Under those circumstances, would it be fair to put her through a limb amputation just for her to suffer further? When do we say "Enough?"

I'd really appreciate some input!

It's so difficult to give any advice until you know what's what, Wiserabbit :)

You seem to be jumping ahead and wondering about 'what if', which will only scare you! I am not going to scare you by suggesting what may happen. Yes I have cared for rabbits with cancer. But it may not be that in the end.

When you have the results of the biopsy you can always yourself seek out a second opinion before making any decision.

It sounds like you have faith in your vet?

Back