• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly Strike

Lynda did that rabbit that you took in with Flystrike recover?

I took my first ever case in today and I must say that I'm shocked by the state of him.
Poor little thing hadn't been checked from saturday until wednesday morning. They then let the vets spend all day working on him to then ask for a Pts last night.

Never mind he is here safe with me and I'll make sure that he gets all the nursing he needs.

Tracy - Misty died as her system was too toxic, Snowball is fine and healthy now and is the apple of Jim's eye. She spent so much time indoors being nursed that she is now a houserabbit. Her problem was she was immensely fat and couldn't reach her bum, however she has lost weight now and is managing to keep herself very clean. We have since dicovered she has what looks like bridging of the spine, xrays have been taken and she is monitored daily. She doesn't hop along quite as she should but she has regained the use of her back legs, so much so, she managed to jump out through the open top of her cage when we weren't looking. So yes I certainly think her has recovered :lol:

Providing the wee man you took in wasn't too toxic, and he's eating well, he should be fine. He's very lucky to be in your hands now. Please keep us up to date with his progress.

I would like to say that if your rabbit gets fly strike there is a good chance of them getting over it providing the maggots have not broken the skin. If there is any breaks in the skin then they have already gone inside and you have no chance. val

A friend of a friend's children had rabbits which got flystrike and both died (the second was going to be put down but beat them to it) which is really sad.

So we always check our rabbits (if only so they don't make a mess on the carpet) and they have been fine.

I left my rabbit fluffy with my parents whilst I moved house and build a rabbit run earlier in the year. I popped round one evening to see how she was and my mother said she had been looking a bit poorly. I was so cross that no one had contacted me earlier when I saw the state of my bun, she had a very messy bottom and stank. I knew as soon as I saw her that there was a problem, she was absolutely riddled with maggots all I could do was to get her to the vets and have her put to sleep as quickly as possible! It was one of the worst sights I'd ever seen and it's really shocking how quickly it happens! Fluffy had been fine when I had seen her 48 hours earlier.

I now keep my buns as house bunnies, I'm too scared to let them out!!!

When I was a child my rabbit died of what I now know was flystrike, but at the time there wasn't much (if any) info about rabbit welfare.

I have put rearguard and on hot days put fly repellant on both of mine (poor things aren't keen on the repellant) and check them both reguarly.

Lynda
He's eating like a horse. Almost like he hasn't had food on a regular basis.
He isn't keen on being checked and his little legs go all shaky.
The vets that brought him to me had put cream on his wounds but didn't bring any for me to apply. Any ideas what I should be using. Or should it just be left.

Any help appreciated.

Tracy - in Snowball's case I was advised to use Sudocrem (the stuff used on babies bums). It seemed very soothing for her and she didn't lick at it. That stuff is like magic! It acts as a barrier as well as a soother/healer. When it dried, it just either flaked off taking any crud along with it, or it came off with a baby wet wipe. She was kept on soft fresh towels although I expect vetbed would be fine too, wood shavings or megazorb wouldn't have been practical and would have irritated anyway. Occasionally, if the fur surrounding the wound was mucky, I used a little of the gentlest 'plain' baby shampoo I could find to wash it off, and gently dabbed dry as best I could, using a hairdryer to dry it would have caused the skin to become dry and sensitive again. I also gave her metacam. And at the end of all her 'treatment sessions', she got a treat for being a good girl!

Thank you so much for that advise I shall get some sudocream from Tescos when I go later.
Should I let him out in the runs or leave it a feew days until he doesn't look quite so uncomfortable.
I'll give him some metacam as well and they have put him on baytril.

I think maybe it would be best not to let him outdoors just yet. His wound may pick up dirt. If you have an indoor run that should be ok. You'll probably find that as soon as the cream starts to work, he'll be less uncomfortable though. Snowball hated getting it put on as the first bit always seems to be a bit 'nippy', but as the redness of his skin dies down, it should get easier and after that, I'd only put it on the actual 'red bits'. Snowball was kept in an indoor cage in our living room with a net curtain draped over it to keep out any flies while she recovered.

A good idea is to get some zentex next year i think its better than rear guard and use it weekly next summer. Top priority is dont let your rabbits get overweight.There are lots of naturel things you can do to detere flys, if they are outside rabbits garlic in with their bedding [ powdered] hang lavender on their cage plant some lavender near the cage, the flys hate this. If yours is an indoor rabbit then you could use lavender sawdut in their bed ,try putting a few drops of lavender oil on their rear or cloves. All these things will help. val

Thought I'd let you know Lynda, that the little fly strike bunny has come on in leaps and bounds.
Every thing has now healed and he is continuing to eat like a horse.

He does however have a collagen deficiency.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can help him.

I have got a bonded pair and have recently heard alot about flystirke and although my bunnies are healthy I am concerned because I know that if a bunny is overweight they can have problems cleaning themselves. One of the pair is a tiny bit overweight (very little) and the other is just right, but how would you put one bunny from a bonded pair on a diet without letting the other lose weight, if that makes sense? They live together, eat together and are very attached to eachother... I couldn't seperate them.

You could try rather than giving them all the food in one go to break it into two feedings. I tend to give very litte food at night (but he always has some left anyhow) then he eats hay.

Have you got a good quality hay they like? That really should be the basis for a bunnies diet.

About 50g per day per bunnie is enough for most bunnies (dending on their weight) but they can live off hay - infact its better for them anyhow. I feed most food in the morning and then some other things during the day. If you feed twice a day at least they will get some pellets twice a day even if one woofs it down. Also if you put two bowls down they cannot eat from two bowls at once so again they will be getting some pellets at those times. What pellets do you feed? The 'all in one' ones are considered better as they stop selective feeding.

Back