• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating paper/cardboard when never been a problem before....

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
... any ideas why?

Dinky has never shown any interest in my post or any bits of paper or cardboard before but she's eaten a fair bit of election leaflets (!!) in the last few days and I've just caught her eating a cardboard box which she's had access to for a long time and never damaged before. Is she craving fibre? Dental problems? Should I come to any conclusion re this change in behaviour?

Thanks.

(She ate quite a bit of the Liberal Democrat leaflet but didn't have much more than a corner of the Conservative one :p)

Last edited:
... any ideas why?

Dinky has never shown any interest in my post or any bits of paper or cardboard before but she's eaten a fair bit of election leaflets (!!) in the last few days and I've just caught her eating a cardboard box which she's had access to for a long time and never damaged before. Is she craving fibre? Dental problems? Should I come to any conclusion re this change in behaviour?

Thanks.

(She ate quite a bit of the Liberal Democrat leaflet but didn't have much more than a corner of the Conservative one :p)

Perhaps it was too "strong and stable" for her :lol:

My rabbits hardly ever actually eat cardboard, rather than randomly tearing it, unless they have a digestive issue. None of them have had dental issues, so I have put it down to craving fibre and tried to address it in their food.

... any ideas why?

Thanks.

I dont blame her !!

A sluggish cecum can cause a Rabbit to crave the 'wrong' type of fibre. But she may just be feeling the effects of Spring Fever. Some Rabbits can morph into DestructaBun as a result of Spring Fever !

Perhaps it was too "strong and stable" for her :lol:

My rabbits hardly ever actually eat cardboard, rather than randomly tearing it, unless they have a digestive issue. None of them have had dental issues, so I have put it down to craving fibre and tried to address it in their food.
I dont blame her !!

A sluggish cecum can cause a Rabbit to crave the 'wrong' type of fibre. But she may just be feeling the effects of Spring Fever. Some Rabbits can morph into DestructaBun as a result of Spring Fever !

Thanks both.

She isn't being particularly disruptive, in fact seems to be showing her age (nearly ten) and often sleeps through when the younger bunnies (particularly Scally) see me entering the room and come begging. She does a lot of sunbathing by the door :love: I'll feed her a lot of raspberry leaves in the meantime while I work out if it is 'anything'.

PS yeah, I was a bit worried about her being poisoned from eating the Tory leaflet but she seems to have known not to eat it. :lol:

Last edited:
Persi and Pomme eat paper and cardboard all the time (including anything that has just come through the door, polling cards, matchboxes, newspaper, books, record sleeves (!!) etc), despite also eating plenty of hay, fresh greens AND pellets.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back