• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gurgling tummy and sloshing sound

Lumi is a 1 year old mini lop who I've had since she was 8 weeks. She has never had any health related issues before. I've noticed very loud tummy noises that sound like when somebody is hungry. Also when she hops I can hear sloshing sounds sometimes. She is eating, but not as much as usual (she usually runs around and grunts when I'm putting food down and now she'll eat a little bit after it's been down for a while). She's very tired and is sleeping a lot and while she's usually independent she is being very cuddly with my other rabbit. She seems to be sleeping curled up or with her upper body on my other rabbit which is unlike her.

I can take her to the vets tomorrow if that's recommended but is there anything I can do to help her now? Any ideas what could be upsetting her?

Lumi is a 1 year old mini lop who I've had since she was 8 weeks. She has never had any health related issues before. I've noticed very loud tummy noises that sound like when somebody is hungry. Also when she hops I can hear sloshing sounds sometimes. She is eating, but not as much as usual (she usually runs around and grunts when I'm putting food down and now she'll eat a little bit after it's been down for a while). She's very tired and is sleeping a lot and while she's usually independent she is being very cuddly with my other rabbit. She seems to be sleeping curled up or with her upper body on my other rabbit which is unlike her.

I can take her to the vets tomorrow if that's recommended but is there anything I can do to help her now? Any ideas what could be upsetting her?

The symptoms you describe are concerning and they may relate to a gastrointestinal problem. She certainly needs to be examined by a Vet ASAP. If she is not producing any poo or only producing a tiny amount of poo then she really needs to see a Vet this evening.

In baby Rabbits gurgling/sloshing abdominal sounds are indicative of a condition called mucoid eneteritis. In adult Rabbits this is less likely, but not impossible

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Mucoid_EnteropathyRabbits.htm

When a Rabbit has a reduced food intake for whatever reason this can lead to gastrointestinal stasis

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I can't tell how much she is pooing as she lives with my other rabbit Snoopy and I can't tell who's is who's. I'm staying with her all night, is there any sign I should look out for that signals I need to call the emergency vet? It's bank holiday so no vets are open today apart from the emergency ones. Will tomorrow be okay or is this an emergency already?

Hi there Kerry

I am sorry to hear about your bunny.

What I would suggest, and I understand the difficulty re vets and the Bank Holiday, is to get some Infacol and give her 1 ml every hour for three doses. You can find it in the baby section of a chemist, it's a med to encourage babies to burp up gas. It will help your bunny to expel gas, as that will be built up and causing her to not want to eat. Gas also causes pain.

This is what I mean:

http://www.infacol.co.uk

You can also do some gentle tummy rubs.

It's impossible for anyone to advise you whether you need to see the emergency vet or whether it can wait until first thing in the morning ...

There's more info here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

I hope she feels better soon xx

Without wishing to panic you, rabbits go downhill extremely quickly and if it were me I would take to the emergency vet this evening.

ETA Cross posted with MightyMax

I can't tell how much she is pooing as she lives with my other rabbit Snoopy and I can't tell who's is who's. I'm staying with her all night, is there any sign I should look out for that signals I need to call the emergency vet? It's bank holiday so no vets are open today apart from the emergency ones. Will tomorrow be okay or is this an emergency already?

How is your Bunny doing today ?

Hi Kerry

Vibes for you and her - I hope all is well? x

Back