• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emmy seems really skinny

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
Hi

I want to start by saying that I will be calling the vets first thing on Tuesday morning for an appointment.

In the meantime are there any suggestions of things that I can feed her to fatten her up a bit? She had her teeth checked a few weeks ago and there is no history of dental problems with her.

Hi

I want to start by saying that I will be calling the vets first thing on Tuesday morning for an appointment.

In the meantime are there any suggestions of things that I can feed her to fatten her up a bit? She had her teeth checked a few weeks ago and there is no history of dental problems with her.

A pinch or two of porridge oats twice a day. A pinch of sunflower seeds.

Change the pellets to one for baby rabbits/growers.

Alfalfa hay

So took Emmy to the vets on Saturday an in 6 weeks she had gone from 1.3kgs to just under a 1kg :(

He suggested a urine and blood test. He wants to test for EC. She is still so lively and hoovering food up that I really don't want to upset her again but isolating her for a urine sample and then dragging her to the vets again to have blood taken. I have called and left a message for the vets today as I am wondering if a course on panacur would do her any harm before making her have these horrible tests? Does anyone have any experience with this?

So took Emmy to the vets on Saturday an in 6 weeks she had gone from 1.3kgs to just under a 1kg :(

He suggested a urine and blood test. He wants to test for EC. She is still so lively and hoovering food up that I really don't want to upset her again but isolating her for a urine sample and then dragging her to the vets again to have blood taken. I have called and left a message for the vets today as I am wondering if a course on panacur would do her any harm before making her have these horrible tests? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Personally I would opt for following the Vet's advice. Panacur is generally a safe treatment when used in appropriate situations, although like all medication it is not without the potential for side effects. In Emmy's case it may not address what the actual problem is as at the moment the problem is not known.

Hi there

Sorry to hear about Emmy's weight loss.

You wouldn't have to isolate her for a urine test, as the vet can express urine from her bladder. I agree it's often difficult for a vet to get blood from a rabbit and that can cause stress.

I would want to know whether there was any decrease of kidney function if she were my rabbit, or change in liver enzymes. You would need a blood test for those results.

Panacur is usually well tolerated, though I have experience of rabbits having bad reactions. As with all meds, nothing is 100% safe.

Back