• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Brad is ill!

emilou

Warren Scout
I went to feed my bunnies this morning and found Brad hunched in a corner, soaked to the skin with urine, cold with shallow breathing and would not eat. I was nearly sick with worry and rushed him to the vets. They gave him vitbee, rimadyl and metoclopramide injections and when the vet examined his teeth she said his lips were white (anemia).

Does anyone have experience of this or can help me understand whats going on?

I understand the wee came from Myrtle my girl bunny who knew he was ill and started dominating him by weeing on him, the vet said this was normal. I have him inside now and im trying to tempt him with pellets and hay and warm him up a bit to maybe help the anemia. The vet said he may need blood tests tomorrow.....any ideas?

Sorry to hear he is poorly - no ideas I'm afraid just wishing you well. My only idea would be to try him with some iron rich veg - like spinach or brocolli - did your vets give you any ideas?

Brad is prone to gut stasis and he gets it once a year, but not now and not with anemia. The vet said not to use veggies because they arent god for gut mobility????but in the past I have had success with pineapple juice to get him eating. I havent tried this yet cos the vet didnt mention it. He still hasnt eaten.

I would try the pineapple juice as when Totti was "bunged up" as well as having the injections, the vet recommended pineapple juice. Does he moult a lot? Totti does and since his bout of gut statis, I stroke his fur in the opposite direction every day and pull out loose clumps of fur, in case it was a fur ball that caused the blockage. Touch wood, but he hasn't had it since. good luck with Brad.

Jill

I think the vets fear is the gut stasis may be a result of the reason for his anemia,something liver or kidney related.

emilou said:
I think the vets fear is the gut stasis may be a result of the reason for his anemia,something liver or kidney related.

Hi there,

I would only guess the same as your vet re;liver/kidneys.

emilou said:

Hi there,

I would only guess the same as your vet re;liver/kidneys.

He still hasnt eaten or drank, ive just been to the vets again and picked up some science recovery liquid food. I am so worried

I hope he gets well soon , I,ve never experienced this with any of my rabbits , I know that he will be happier at home but if he doesn,t eat or drink then the vet may admit him and put him on a drip , that happened to a friend of mine with one of her rabbits . let us know how he gets on .

Oh Emma, I am so sorry to hear this.

I really hope Brad feels better soon.

Bunny rubs to Brad from me, Mr Bump, Tigs and Whisks

Thanks for all the kind words. Heres an update before I visit the vets again. As soon as I got the science recovery I fed Brad with some every half an hour or so, trying to get him to wee. In the evening I found his bum covered in black smelly poo which I though must be a good thing 'better out than in', I continued the feeding every hour at night time much to Brad's distaste and around 3 he did a wee!
A small wee but still a wee and all the black sticky poo bacame pellets. I resumed the every 15 minute feed at 6 and im still doing that until the vets at 10. He still has no interest in food or water but he seems brighter.

Hiya Emma

Oh dear sound like your little bunny is going through the mill abit at the mo - but its good that there are some signs of encouragement if bunny seems a little brighter.

I'll keep my paws crossed your boy feels better soon.

Over and Out

Ive been to the vet's this morning and he was pleased about the pellets+wee but apparently Brad is still very anemic looking and I asked for him to be admitted. They are giving him antibiotics as they think the black squidgy poo from last night may be stomach blood and painkillers and will continue with the syringe feeding they are blood testing too. I feel better knowing he is getting expert care around the clock.
I had a good look at Brad's girlfriend when I got home and for the first time realised she has teeth marks in her (how guilty do I feel?) she is fine but now I suspect a fight took place between them.

Back