• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bianca this time...

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
She needs a dental :( She went off her food this afternoon and she's got an ulcer on her tongue.
I hate this so much. Wish my bunnies could catch a break!

Tomorrow :( She has been fine all morning, even ate her pellets and was munching on hay this afternoon too. I put down her greens at about 2pm and she wasn't interested at all, put down some pellets and she wasn't interested. The same with some green oat hay. So very unlike her :(

We are both working tonight so didn't want to wait and see so we took her straight in and they had a good look at her teeth and that's when they saw the ulcer on her tongue. Poor baby :( I hate taking them in but I guess it must be sore for her :(

She's sitting in her litter tray eating hay now which makes me wonder how bad it can actually be :( She was definitely uncomfortable though, she was hiding and was very quiet :( Trying to make me feel guilty I guess...

Tomorrow :( She has been fine all morning, even ate her pellets and was munching on hay this afternoon too. I put down her greens at about 2pm and she wasn't interested at all, put down some pellets and she wasn't interested. The same with some green oat hay. So very unlike her :(

We are both working tonight so didn't want to wait and see so we took her straight in and they had a good look at her teeth and that's when they saw the ulcer on her tongue. Poor baby :( I hate taking them in but I guess it must be sore for her :(

Lots of vibes being sent for her for tomorrow xx

Can a tongue ulcer get better on it's own?
She's really perked up now (we have given her some metacam though) so we really don't want to take her tomorrow :(

She's really perked up now (we have given her some metacam though) so we really don't want to take her tomorrow :(

The ulcer is unlikely to heal if a dental spur is causing it. The Metacam will have taken the edge off the soreness. It'll be better to get the Dental done before she stops eating and pooing altogether xx

She's sitting in her litter tray eating hay now which makes me wonder how bad it can actually be :( She was definitely uncomfortable though, she was hiding and was very quiet :( Trying to make me feel guilty I guess...

I think your bunnies have been schooled in the art of making you feel guilty! :roll:

Well it's a different vet in tomorrow and he's an exotic vet so I think that I'm going to get a second opinion before going ahead. I do trust them but I don't want to do it if not necessary :/

Oh, also she walks funny at times and the vet noticed it too today so we were thinking of getting her pelvis/legs xray'd too whilst she's under. She walks with her back legs a lot and she's a bit hunched. She still hops and jumps ok though but maybe worth checking if she is under anyway.

My late Iris had a tongue ulcer amongst her many issues whilst with me. We never did put her through a dental because she firstly had an infection and secondly was too skinny and frail for a GA. Her vet did note that whilst she had her Depocillin treatment, her ulcer did show some improvement from a Hay/SS diet only. I can't say if the ulcer entirely went away or if a dental would have helped further as sadly her health deteriorated and we took the decision to have her PTS.

I'm sending vibes for tomorrow. xxx

Sending lots of vibes for Bianca today. I hope the decision about a dental becomes clear cut for you.

I chickened out :(
I spent hours watching her after work and she was (and still is) happily munching away on hay, pellets and fenugreek crunchies. Didn't feel right!

I chickened out :(
I spent hours watching her after work and she was (and still is) happily munching away on hay, pellets and fenugreek crunchies. Didn't feel right!

I think you're absolutely right to do that, and pleased you followed your instinct :)

(ps. You are still giving fenugreek crunchies?)

Back