• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks aren't improving

Hello

My two house rabbits are suffering with sore hocks. I discovered them about two weeks ago and took them to the vets straight away. The vet gave me some Flamazine and recommended I get memory foam dog beds to put on the floor to help cushion their feet. This sounded a little impractical as they have an entire room to themselves and they would need a lot of dog beds! So I did some research and ordered some vet bed. Now half the room is covered in vet bed, and the other half in a duvet. I have also cushioned out all their hideaouts with blankets and pillows.

However, despite applying the cream daily and replacing the rugs with softer materials, their feet do not look any better :( I have also cut their nails incase that could have been contributing and I have always cleaned their litter tray out regularly. They are healthy other than the sore hocks.

I'm really at a loss at what could be causing it and what I can do to make it better.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Please let me know if it sounds as though I am doing anything wrong.

Thanks

Hello

My two house rabbits are suffering with sore hocks. I discovered them about two weeks ago and took them to the vets straight away. The vet gave me some Flamazine and recommended I get memory foam dog beds to put on the floor to help cushion their feet. This sounded a little impractical as they have an entire room to themselves and they would need a lot of dog beds! So I did some research and ordered some vet bed. Now half the room is covered in vet bed, and the other half in a duvet. I have also cushioned out all their hideaouts with blankets and pillows.

However, despite applying the cream daily and replacing the rugs with softer materials, their feet do not look any better :( I have also cut their nails incase that could have been contributing and I have always cleaned their litter tray out regularly. They are healthy other than the sore hocks.

I'm really at a loss at what could be causing it and what I can do to make it better.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Please let me know if it sounds as though I am doing anything wrong.

Thanks

Hi Rebecca

I'm really sorry to hear about your rabbits. Sore hocks occur in so many rabbits, and carpets can be particularly harsh on the delicate skin of the foot.

If the hocks aren't bad, it could well be that they will just take a little time to get better. Regards flooring, covering the area with a cotton sheet or duvet cover seems to work best. Vet bed, although very soft, can sometimes exacerbate the problem. Perhaps put the vet bed inside old duvet covers to make a soft and springy surface?

Are the rabbits overweight at all? Has the vet examined them for any signs of spinal or mobility issues?

There may be something in one of these links to help you, though it sounds like you've done a lot of research yourself already :)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

***may have graphic images in these links***

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/sore_hocks_pododermatitis_in_rabbits.pdf

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/sore-hocks.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

If the Flamazine doesn't work, and you really feel you need to apply a cream, you could try this one which might help if the problem shows signs of being bacterial or fungal:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

Sometimes it's not necessary to apply a cream, but to allow the hair to grow naturally - your vet may have an opinion on this :)

What litter are you using? I found some can contribute to my rabbits as it can be 'gravely', wood litter pellets were a touch too hard for them. Tumblefresh bedding is great as really soft, one of my vets recommends it for sore hocks; I use compressed paper stuff called back to nature with a layer of hay over it now. If they got sore hocks again I would use tumblefresh while they were healing.

Hello

Thanks

I posted this on another 'Sore Hocks' thread a few weeks ago

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another mobility problem such as arthritis. So it really depends on the exact situation for the individual Rabbit. Some cases of Sore Hocks can fully resolve with treatment/appropriate changes in husbandry. But some cases are chronic and can have periods of relapse and then some remission.

I expect you have already read a lot of the information available re Sore Hocks. But incase you have not or if anyone else is interested these links may be useful:

WARNING- graphic images on some links

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

http://www.vetcareltd.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.shtml

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

http://www.cunivetservice.com/docs/SoreHocks.2013.pdf

What litter are you using? I found some can contribute to my rabbits as it can be 'gravely', wood litter pellets were a touch too hard for them. Tumblefresh bedding is great as really soft, one of my vets recommends it for sore hocks; I use compressed paper stuff called back to nature with a layer of hay over it now. If they got sore hocks again I would use tumblefresh while they were healing.

Yeah, good advice from Rabbitches :D

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sorehocks.htm

There are some ideas on wrapping sore hocks here - don't attempt without vet's advice first! :wave:

http://rabbit.org/treating-sore-hocks/

Thanks for the replies guys.

The vet said that because both rabbit have it is unlikely to be due to a medical problem, and more likely due to their environment.

I have had an idea to buy a memory foam mattress topper as I have a big area to cover, and then cover that in towels and blankets? Does this sound like a good idea?

The vet said that because both rabbit have it is unlikely to be due to a medical problem, and more likely due to their environment.

I have had an idea to buy a memory foam mattress topper as I have a big area to cover, and then cover that in towels and blankets? Does this sound like a good idea?

Hi Rebecca

Memory foam mattress topper ..... eek - what if they wee on it?

Are your Rabbits Rexes ? Are they related ?

No they are not rex's. I have a netherland dwarf and a lop.

They are very good at using their litterbox and never wee anywhere else. If not I might try loads of layers of towels and fleece over their carpeted rug?

No they are not rex's. I have a netherland dwarf and a lop.

They are very good at using their litterbox and never wee anywhere else. If not I might try loads of layers of towels and fleece over their carpeted rug?

Yes, I think that sounds good :D

Are the hocks really bad at the moment?

Thank you!

Lily's are worse. She has obvious red lumps and the fur has worn away.
Benji's aren't too bad, I never noticed them until the vet checked, he still has lots of fur and just some redness but no lumps.

I will try to get a photo of Lilys tomorrow. It is just worrying me that they aren't going down. I was applying the cream everyday but after it hasn't made any difference I don't know whether to stop applying it because I have read online to keep the area dry? She hates me doing it everyday too!!

Thank you!

Lily's are worse. She has obvious red lumps and the fur has worn away.
Benji's aren't too bad, I never noticed them until the vet checked, he still has lots of fur and just some redness but no lumps.

I will try to get a photo of Lilys tomorrow. It is just worrying me that they aren't going down. I was applying the cream everyday but after it hasn't made any difference I don't know whether to stop applying it because I have read online to keep the area dry? She hates me doing it everyday too!!

:D

You could enquire with your vet about bandaging them up until they heal a bit more?

I gave a link about wrapping a sore hock - it would have to be done by your vet and inspected regularly. For myself, I make little socks and elasticated boots for rabbits with sore hocks, so I can take them off and wash them twice daily and the feet can still breathe. I have yet to market them to the general public :D

I did consider that. The vet suggested baby socks if no improvement. I think if I don't see any improvement soon I will consider either bandaging or trying baby socks!

I did consider that. The vet suggested baby socks if no improvement. I think if I don't see any improvement soon I will consider either bandaging or trying baby socks!

Yes, the only drawback with baby socks is that babies have thicker ankles and shorter hocks than rabbits! The last pair of boots I made were for a 5 inch hock - long thin hock and thin ankle.

Back