• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In a complete mess, re River

catherine09

Mama Doe
A year ago I rescued (private rescue) a lovely girl, River. She was spayed / vaccinated and last autumn after her hormones had completely gone I set about finding her a friend in rescue.

Fast forward 6 months, today her 6th bond has failed and the rescue (the third one she has been to, after exhausting the boys at 2 others) are going to attempt a final try tomorrow, which I know deep down won't work. I think after tomorrow I am going to have to call it a day trying to find her a friend, only one of the bonds lasted longer than 10 minutes before it got so bad they separated. She clearly just hates other rabbits :(

I won't keep a single bunny outside on their own all their life. I can't bring her indoors as OH is allergic. I feel so helpless about the whole situation and I'm so scared of the reality that I either keep her outside all her life, which I don't think is fair, or re-home her to someone who can keep her indoors. I'm just distraught at the thought of it but what else can I do, she needs company :cry::cry::cry::cry:

:( What a sad situation. I know you've been trying to match her up for ages. Not usually anything like an easy bond I know but have you tried her with any does?

In the meantime loads of lets have a miracle tomorrow vibes, c'mon River, for your mum & you

I was going to suggest another doe too.... Sometimes difficult to bond females will take to another doe.
Maybe the rescue could try sitting her next to a doe and see how she reacts (separated by mesh).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I would normally agree with you about not having single rabbits outside, but maybe she just prefers being alone:? She clearly prefers being alone to being with any of the rabbits that she has been tried with. Has she always lived alone?

I presume she is outside at the moment. Can she see your other rabbits? Maybe that's enough for her if she appears to be happy.

Thank you both. I'm really struggling with this tonight.

Both boys she has been tried with this week, she has spent a good few hours next to them seperated by mesh to get her used to them before they met. This last one they were next to each other for over 12 hours. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the outcome

I will suggest the doe idea to the rescue, really it's up to them whether they think it's worth it.

I would normally agree with you about not having single rabbits outside, but maybe she just prefers being alone:? She clearly prefers being alone to being with any of the rabbits that she has been tried with. Has she always lived alone?

I presume she is outside at the moment. Can she see your other rabbits? Maybe that's enough for her if she appears to be happy.

She hates it. She adores human company and is always desperate for you to give her some fuss - up until now I've been feeling guilty having her outside on her own but always knew it was only a temporary thing.

When she was rescued she was with 3 entire boys in a small hamster cage. I guess they probably all terrrorised her

No, she can't see my other rabbits at the moment. I had them living with a mesh divide and she was so terrioetieal and aggressive at the divider she set my two off with referred aggression constantly. She was also so wound up at them being there, she would literally launch herself at the mesh constantly. Clearly from this I knew she wasn't going to be easy to bond but I thought that we would eventually find the right boy for her :(

I agree. She was probably terrorised by the Bucks especially being in such close quarters.
A doe may be a better chance, but maybe she's a bun that will need any bonding done incredibly slowly and all on her terms, so she doesn't feel she needs to defend herself.

Well. All the bonds failed, but as a last ditch attempt we are trying a long bond with the boy that was the least phased by her. I'm picking them up tomorrow. My biggest fear now is getting attached to little Billy and the bond not working :( :?

Over the years I've had several bunnies who just don't like other bunnies. They've all lived very happy, long, single lives. I don't believe in forcing them to bond. Some buns, just love people but get very stressed if forced to try and bond with a prospective mate. Maybe you should just let her be.

Well. All the bonds failed, but as a last ditch attempt we are trying a long bond with the boy that was the least phased by her. I'm picking them up tomorrow. My biggest fear now is getting attached to little Billy and the bond not working :( :?

All the best for the bonding :)

Over the years I've had several bunnies who just don't like other bunnies. They've all lived very happy, long, single lives. I don't believe in forcing them to bond. Some buns, just love people but get very stressed if forced to try and bond with a prospective mate. Maybe you should just let her be.

I have had a couple of Rabbits like that. After Sir Victor died leaving Lady Lydia bereft she refused to bond with any other Rabbit. I tried numerous Rabbits over several years. But every time she went straight for the jugular as soon as the other Rabbit came within reach of her. Lydia was fine living in an enclosure next to other Rabbits. She would even interact with some through the enclosure panels. But that was as close to 'bonding' she would tolerate. I dont know if you could arrange your outdoor set-up to make something similar possible. Assuming that it would not cause 'referred aggression' issues amongst your other Rabbits.

I really hope things work out this time. I know you have agonised over what is best for River. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help xxx

catherine, your situation is much like mine. I got Leroy at 4 mos. He was an outdoor bunny and I kept him out till the weather changed and then brought him in as a house bunny. Major allergic reactions!! I had to move him to the basement and then worried about him being lonely so I got a female bun, had her spayed and tried bonding. The fighting was immediate and vicious. So they lived in cages next to each other for a few months where they could see and smell each other. Then I started putting them outside in the big yard together and eventually, they tolerated each other and were able to move in together. Now there is grooming and no more fighting.

Point being that it took time, patience and perseverance on my part. I thought for a long time that they would never bond and I would have to make other arrangements for her and start with a new bun. I'm glad I didn't.

Don't give up. Maybe give one of these attempts a bit longer. Yep, you do run the risk of getting attached.

I hope it works out well for you and River.

Not sure this is any help for you, but my friend took 9 months to bond her two buns. Worth taking it completely on their terms xx

Thanks everyone for your wonderful support.

I point blank refuse to keep a single bunny like River outside - imo it is cruel. If she won't bond with another bunny she will have to become a free range house rabbit so she has human company

I've spent most of the day deep cleaning the kennel and getting it ready and picking them up in the morning. Fingers crossed it works!!

I point blank refuse to keep a single bunny like River outside - imo it is cruel. If she won't bond with another bunny she will have to become a free range house rabbit so she has human company

I've spent most of the day deep cleaning the kennel and getting it ready and picking them up in the morning. Fingers crossed it works!!

I really hope it does - you both deserve it

Fingers crossed for you:thumb:

Back