• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it normal for girl bunnies to try to hump each other??

kazza378

New Kit
I know this may be a silly question, but do they??? I've had to separate Tilly and Dilly because Dilly kept chasing Tilly round, getting on her back and, well thrusting...!!

I've been told it may be a dominance thing... They're about 4 months old now. If it is, are they ok to be left together?

Please help, I'm so worried :(

Karen xxx

Hi Karen

I saw your two buns when they were on rabbit rehome - they looked so gorgeous, just like my Mr Bump!

With regards to your "problem" I also have been told it is a dominance thing and from my experience as long as they are not fighting then they may be okay.

I was confused when I first bonded my two as the female buns keep doing this to the male :?

Karen,

It is all about heirarchy and territory. Now that they are 4 months old it might be an idea to have them spayed. They will calm down and lose that urge to compete. It will be very hard, almost impossible to keep tham together and bond them if they have a bad fight. The best thing you can do is be vigilant. They may sort themselves out. IMO the long term solution is spaying.

Thanks!!! I was always going to get them spayed, but was recommended I wait until they're six months old... Maybe not :shock:

They aren't fighting, Tilly just tolerates so much then runs off... But she looks so dishevelled!!

Miffy my female bunny humps claude my boy bunny its usually in the breeding season she gets a bit frisky!!!!!

My boy and girl buns (both neutered) do this to each other all the time. I've heard it's a dominance thing too, it just seems to be a bit of a power struggle. They never fight though. So don't be surprised if they still (ahem) "bounce" each other even when they've been done!!

As has been said if there not fighting they leave them be, they are coming up to breeding age and they are being rabbits. Some rabbits develope sooner then others the other doe will start soon as well, nothing to worry about, but if you can afford it get them done

Back