• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder Probs

Thumps

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,
Had to take Monty into the vets today as he didn't seem to be able to pee. While at the vets he produced a nice sample of thick sludge for us. So the vet decided to take him in and give him some fluids etc make sure he is in best conditions for sedation and tomorrow will xray and flush his bladder or remove stones depending on what the xray shows. So I am Montyless for tonight at least. Jessie hasn't noticed, she's happily pottering about by herself.
Well shall find out whats happening tomorrow and he will be home again soon.

Angela

Hi Angela - hope he's feeling better soon. Looks like you'll need to give Jessie extra cuddles, until she gets her man back again. I'm sure the cuddles will help you too - it's alway so worrying when they're not well.

Nah think I'll pass on the cuddles with Jessie :lol: for as sweet as a dutch looks she turns into a savage, mad, growling, killing thing when cuddles are being dished out :lol:
Monty at the vets was totally different, he wanted a cuddle after being man handled by the vet. Very sweet of him, he's normally very shy of me.

Angela

Thumps said:
Nah think I'll pass on the cuddles with Jessie :lol: for as sweet as a dutch looks she turns into a savage, mad, growling, killing thing when cuddles are being dished out :lol:

Ah, I see, OK, I'd pass on the cuddles as well - maybe cuddle vibes across the room would work better with Jessie :wink:.

Actually, that was a fairly good description of me when Chris wants a cuddle (only joking, honest!! :lol: ).

Fingers crossed for Monty, Angie.
3.gif

Thank you everyone, Monty is home and doing well. Was a bit scared when he came home as he was wobbly but also not using one of his back legs and was dragging it about and falling over alot and his breathing was a bit funny. Im guessing it was all because he's so fat he took longer to come round. His xrays showed his whole bladder was just full of sludge which was too thick for him to pass. Thankfully he is now flushed out and has what the vet thinks is a stone left, she said it was too big to block anything so she wants to leave it. He is now on a diet, well he was anyway but he is now on Burgess Lite so we will see if that helps as he is a very fat boy, always has been. We also have to keep him on the low calcium veggies as expected, so I will definatley have to split him and Jessie up at feeding time, Jessie is the opposite she needs to gain weight.
Lucky call this time, if there is a next time at the first sign of sludgy pee we're off to the vets, touch wood there won't be a next time.
Angela

Back