• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible new additions and worries-Update 25/4 Head won.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been on those darn selling pages again ;).

Ive spotted two rabbits who are in need of a new home and some tlc and have contacted the seller. Even my dh felt sorry for them and we do have room in the garden in our newly erected playhouse.

Have since discovered they are male and female and apparently 3 months old. So lots of challenges to consider. I'm not so naive to think that there's not the possibility of them being older and possibly sexually mature - hmm not sure I'm prepared for that. Plus the fact that they will need to be spayed / neutered, separated / rebonded. I'm starting to think the current owner realises that now wouldn't be a bad time to 'off load' them.

I can do all those things, but man I know how to make life difficult lol.

Any thoughts? I'm crazy right? x

Last edited:
Hi all,

Ive spotted two rabbits who are in need of a new home and some tlc and have contacted the seller. Even my dh felt sorry for them and we do have room in the garden in our newly erected playhouse.

Have since discovered they are male and female and apparently 3 months old. So lots of challenges to consider. I'm not so naive to think that there's not the possibility of them being older and possibly sexually mature - hmm not sure I'm prepared for that. Plus the fact that they will need to be spayed / neutered, separated / rebonded. I'm starting to think the current owner realises that now wouldn't be a bad time to 'off load' them.

Yes, you big-hearted person, you are crazy :love:

It sounds like the owners may well have babies on the way very soon, if not already. Would you be able to cope?

Hi all,

Yes, but very nicely so :love:

My only concern would be that maybe they are slightly older and the female is already pregnant. Other than that, I'm sure you are perfectly able to cope with all the rest. I'm sure actually you would be able to cope with a pregnancy, but I don't know whether you'd have the room to cope with that.

No crazier than I used to be many years ago, when my situation was different - cats, rabbits, g/pigs, hedgehogs ... I think you'll find quite a lot of so-called crazy people here!:lol:

Thanks guys ;)

Honestly, the thought of babies scares me, but I would cope somehow, I have an amazing family and we would figure it out together. Of course I hope it's not the case, but it's obviously a possibility given the situation x

Could the female go straight to vets for spaying if you did rehome them? This would mean no babies ? xx

You're an absolute nutter but in the best possible way. We wouldn't change you for the world xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Could the female go straight to vets for spaying if you did rehome them? This would mean no babies ? xx

You're an absolute nutter but in the best possible way. We wouldn't change you for the world xx

Aw, thanks dp, that's so sweet of you to say :)

Assuming she is 3 months would most vets want to wait till she's a bit older to spay? Also if she's expecting already, im thinking there must be a cut of point at which it's too late? I am worried though because the seller says they don't know the breed and bought them from gumtree themselves (no idea why they didn't tell them / ask) and my dd says giants have up to 12 babies :shock:

I have a picture, but don't really want to put the person's photo on here, as it's not mine. All I can tell is they are both fully white with I think red eyes and uppy ears, but Google comes up with more than one suggestion x

Assuming she is 3 months would most vets want to wait till she's a bit older to spay? Also if she's expecting already, im thinking there must be a cut of point at which it's too late? I am worried though because the seller says they don't know the breed and bought them from gumtree themselves (no idea why they didn't tell them / ask) and my dd says giants have up to 12 babies :shock:

I have a picture, but don't really want to put the person's photo on here, as it's not mine. All I can tell is they are both fully white with I think red eyes and uppy ears, but Google comes up with more than one suggestion x
Most vets would wait, but at the possibility of being pregnant most would also perform a spay.
It's worth keeping in mind, but if giant breeds I wouldn't expect the male to be sexually mature yet. (Famous last words).

I've had females spayed at 14 weeks due to behavioural problems, so there are some vets out there.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Are you able to 100% quarantine them from all of your current Rabbits and are all of your Rabbits fully vaccinated (including RHD2 Vaccine) ?

Both of those would be a must before I took in any more Rabbits, especially from an 'unknown' source.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do :)

We come across this issue in Rescue quite a lot. The vet sometimes has to spay and they know by palpating (and seeing how mature the female is) whether they can risk the op at that time. But of course if you took them that would be your decision. In Rescue it's a matter of trying not to bring more unwanted rabbits into the world.

Are you able to 100% quarantine them from all of your current Rabbits and are all of your Rabbits fully vaccinated (including RHD2 Vaccine) ?

Both of those would be a must before I took in any more Rabbits, especially from an 'unknown' source.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Yes, all of our current rabbits are fully vaccinated including the rhdv2. I wouldn't want to put them at any risk, they would be housed in the garden but away from the others, we could operate a change clothes / wash hands policy between groups. Would this be ok?

Yes MM, we would have to cross that controversial bridge if we came to it, but my hope would of course be that as we would separate immediately, it would be in time.

As it is the person has gone quiet on me :roll: we arranged a day, but I've had no response to my request for their address. If it's not to be then I hope they find a good home. They are currently in a tiny indoor cage with no bedding and the person says they are sick of them and will take them to the rspca if no home is found. Perhaps that would be for the best? The thing is, if they genuinely are 3 months and left their mum at 2 months that's a very short space of time for the novelty to wear off.

They did try to get more money out of us which I thought was a bit cheeky, but I'll only pay the original amount, given the money we will need to spend on them.

Our worst situation would be a pregnancy and their giants :roll:. In a situation such as this, would we be very much on our own or could we approach the rspca ourselves for help?

Thanks everyone x

Yes, all of our current rabbits are fully vaccinated including the rhdv2. I wouldn't want to put them at any risk, they would be housed in the garden but away from the others, we could operate a change clothes / wash hands policy between groups. Would this be ok?

Yes MM, we would have to cross that controversial bridge if we came to it, but my hope would of course be that as we would separate immediately, it would be in time.

As it is the person has gone quiet on me :roll: we arranged a day, but I've had no response to my request for their address. If it's not to be then I hope they find a good home. They are currently in a tiny indoor cage with no bedding and the person says they are sick of them and will take them to the rspca if no home is found. Perhaps that would be for the best? The thing is, if they genuinely are 3 months and left their mum at 2 months that's a very short space of time for the novelty to wear off.

They did try to get more money out of us which I thought was a bit cheeky, but I'll only pay the original amount, given the money we will need to spend on them.

Our worst situation would be a pregnancy and their giants :roll:. In a situation such as this, would we be very much on our own or could we approach the rspca ourselves for help?

Thanks everyone x

I think you would have to accept that if you take them on they become 100% your financial responsibility. Not only for neutering but also vaccinating. This could mean a huge financial outlay should the Doe be pregnant.

I think you would have to accept that if you take them on they become 100% your financial responsibility. Not only for neutering but also vaccinating. This could mean a huge financial outlay should the Doe be pregnant.

Yeah I mean I'm perfectly happy to pay for the two to be neutered and vaccinated. If there were babies, I would, of course, look after them, but ultimately I'd have to rehome, so then the new owners would have to vaccinate / neuter themselves. But then I'd feel like some kind of backyard breeder, when all I want to do is give these two a better life.

I don't think I'll chase the current owner, maybe they should sort this issue out themselves :roll: Worried what I've got myself into!

How easy is it to tell between one white rabbit and another? If I PM'd you a link Jane would you be able to have a look? No pressure, I know you have things going on x

Yeah I mean I'm perfectly happy to pay for the two to be neutered and vaccinated. If there were babies, I would, of course, look after them, but ultimately I'd have to rehome, so then the new owners would have to vaccinate / neuter themselves. But then I'd feel like some kind of backyard breeder, when all I want to do is give these two a better life.

I don't think I'll chase the current owner, maybe they should sort this issue out themselves :roll: Worried what I've got myself into!

How easy is it to tell between one white rabbit and another? If I PM'd you a link Jane would you be able to have a look? No pressure, I know you have things going on x

Of course :)

Thanks everyone x

You can surely tell from the photo whether they are giants or not?

Head won!

Unfortunately the risk of pregnancy was just too great and I have to be real about the the possibility of ending up with 14 plus rabbits, rather than 9!

I have recommended that they separate the two of them immediately and if no home can be found I would be open to taking the two of them in a months time, when pregnancy can be ruled out. Have also suggested they might want to speak to their vet for advice. Of course, if there were babies we would still be open to taking the parents later down the line.

The likelihood though is that another buyer will come forward and maybe not realise what they could be taking on.

Thanks for all the advice, it was much appreciated x

Head won!

Unfortunately the risk of pregnancy was just too great and I have to be real about the the possibility of ending up with 14 plus rabbits, rather than 9!

I have recommended that they separate the two of them immediately and if no home can be found I would be open to taking the two of them in a months time, when pregnancy can be ruled out. Have also suggested they might want to speak to their vet for advice. Of course, if there were babies we would still be open to taking the parents later down the line.

The likelihood though is that another buyer will come forward and maybe not realise what they could be taking on.

Thanks for all the advice, it was much appreciated x

That's a sensible decision and one which I hope you feel OK with. Maybe someone else will come along to take them, maybe not. She may also not be pregnant.

To be honest you would have had my support and best wishes whatever you had decided. I am terribly impulsive by nature and realise that I have made some very illogical decisions in my time, but the truth is I've not regretted any of them. So, I do understand.

Thanks Omi, that's kind of you.

Tbh I'm not entirely happy with my decision and I think I will always wonder what if. I've been Googling the odds of something having happened already. I could have taken them away from the situation they are in :( x

Back