• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible stye on lower lid?

Jasperello

Warren Scout
Morning :wave:

I've spotted what looks like a stye on Poppy's lower right eyelid. After Millie's eyes I'm a bit hyper-sensitive to worrying about illnesses so does anyone have any experience with this? I've found a little bit of info on the internet about styes in rabbits but I'm still unsure if she needs a vet visit or if it will clear up in a few days with just a warm water compress?
It doesn't seem to be bothering her, there's no discharge or watery eyes or excessive redness. It's been there maybe 4 or 5 days now I think and isn't looking any obviously worse or better, she's a timid little thing and very anti-picked up, so I've not really had a good look at it until yesterday when I realised what it might be :(
Picture isn't the best but that's all I could get!
Any advice appreciated as always, thanks!
Laura
17952552_204232430086721_2455634853456334038_n.jpg

I've spotted what looks like a stye on Poppy's lower right eyelid. After Millie's eyes I'm a bit hyper-sensitive to worrying about illnesses so does anyone have any experience with this? I've found a little bit of info on the internet about styes in rabbits but I'm still unsure if she needs a vet visit or if it will clear up in a few days with just a warm water compress?
It doesn't seem to be bothering her, there's no discharge or watery eyes or excessive redness. It's been there maybe 4 or 5 days now I think and isn't looking any obviously worse or better, she's a timid little thing and very anti-picked up, so I've not really had a good look at it until yesterday when I realised what it might be :(
Laura

Hi Jasparello

With eye conditions such as you describe, a warm compress with cooled boiled water is often a good idea. Several times a day preferably to see whether it make a difference.

It could be a meibomian cyst which will hopefully disappear itself without any treatment:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Meib/Meib_en.htm

If a compress achieves nothing in a day or two, I would pop along to the vet as there may be some antibiotic eye drops needed.

Laura

It looks as though there is a bit of a blockage in a meibomian gland (a sebaceous gland) and thus an accumulation of thickened secretions. Usually these are pretty harmless and resolve without treatment. However, I would advise that you make a routine appointment with your Vet as on rare occasions blockages of a meibomian gland can be indicative of another problem.

Still the same, going to give it a few more days. But now Charlie has started to seem a bit off because he has had a sticky bum 2 days in a row, including the day after stopping pellets, and when I cleaned him up he looks like he may have the beginnings of sore hocks as his are much redder than everyone else's and were quite obvious to see whereas it's not something I've ever noticed with any of the others before but I'm not sure if his are more obvious because he's a white rabbit.. anyway what I'm getting at is I might make a double trip for a general check up for them both?

Still the same, going to give it a few more days. But now Charlie has started to seem a bit off because he has had a sticky bum 2 days in a row, including the day after stopping pellets, and when I cleaned him up he looks like he may have the beginnings of sore hocks as his are much redder than everyone else's and were quite obvious to see whereas it's not something I've ever noticed with any of the others before but I'm not sure if his are more obvious because he's a white rabbit.. anyway what I'm getting at is I might make a double trip for a general check up for them both?

Yes, it does rather sound like a double check up coming on .... Hope it goes OK :)

Topping up the vibes for your bunnies! In regards to Poppy's stye... My bunny Bailey had a stye which we managed to treat at home, here is the thread if it helps. But we did send photos to the vet throughout, and after warm compresses it cleared up complelty on its own xxx

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-develop-on-his-eye-lid&highlight=Bailey+eye

Thanks for the link :thumb: she's a right nightmare to catch and keep still but I'm trying! Still there but isn't any worse or bothering her so will keep trying and now it's the weekend I've got plenty of time to spend pinning her down for warm compresses :lol:

How is your bunny doing?

my bailey has now developed another one.. on the same eye but in a different place and this one is in the eye lid rarther than on the edge! :cry:

so we're off to the vets on Saturday, just wondering how your bunny's is looking? xxx

How is your bunny doing?

my bailey has now developed another one.. on the same eye but in a different place and this one is in the eye lid rarther than on the edge! :cry:

so we're off to the vets on Saturday, just wondering how your bunny's is looking? xxx

Sorry to hear this Ruth.

Are you all OK apart from this? xx

Hey,

Aww thank you, I'm a little gutted but hey it could be a lot worse. I just don't understand what can be causing them, he is still winking his eye a lot more than usual, but had the optic test and no ulcer or no dry eyes so I'm stumped!! But as jasperello's is on the Lower eye too just wondering how she got on?

To be fair he's started itching his ears a little more recently, nothing excessive but could do with them being checked too! I know it could be just that were only cleaning them once a week, but still would rather be safe and have him checked to be sure!

Pufftt bunnies.. Who'd have them! :lol: :lol:

Hey,

Aww thank you, I'm a little gutted but hey it could be a lot worse. I just don't understand what can be causing them, he is still winking his eye a lot more than usual, but had the optic test and no ulcer or no dry eyes so I'm stumped!! But as jasperello's is on the Lower eye too just wondering how she got on?

To be fair he's started itching his ears a little more recently, nothing excessive but could do with them being checked too! I know it could be just that were only cleaning them once a week, but still would rather be safe and have him checked to be sure!

Pufftt bunnies.. Who'd have them! :lol: :lol:

I can understand you being a bit gutted. Jeez with everything you've been through, something could just go your way for once?

When are you going to the vet?

Hugs xx

I can understand you being a bit gutted. Jeez with everything you've been through, something could just go your way for once?

When are you going to the vet?

Hugs xx

Thank you so much, yeah I know.. well Bella has been an angel to be fair apart from destroying the house.. but suppose it's that or illness with us! should be grateful really. I know poor bailey is having no luck at the moment, but he is so crafty.. he knows when i'm looking at him, and he'll close his eyes so I think hes sleeping, or stop scratching his ears instantly and start grooming himself instead! honestly.. he's too clever for his own good! :lol:

I have spoken to the vet today, and they are happy for me to monitor it for a week or so and then take him in next weekend, I have some viscotears at home which they have asked me to use as the lubricant may help. It does't actually look like his previous one. You know when we have ulcers in our mouths, well it looks exactly like this on the inside of his eye lid. it's not raised on the inside, just a little on the outer lid and red.

I'll stop hijacking this thread and find our old one out xx

Thank you so much, yeah I know.. well Bella has been an angel to be fair apart from destroying the house.. but suppose it's that or illness with us! should be grateful really. I know poor bailey is having no luck at the moment, but he is so crafty.. he knows when i'm looking at him, and he'll close his eyes so I think hes sleeping, or stop scratching his ears instantly and start grooming himself instead! honestly.. he's too clever for his own good! :lol:

I have spoken to the vet today, and they are happy for me to monitor it for a week or so and then take him in next weekend, I have some viscotears at home which they have asked me to use as the lubricant may help. It does't actually look like his previous one. You know when we have ulcers in our mouths, well it looks exactly like this on the inside of his eye lid. it's not raised on the inside, just a little on the outer lid and red.

I'll stop hijacking this thread and find our old one out xx

:thumb:

How is your bunny doing?

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that! Yesterday Poppy's started leaking and I managed to delicately get some pus or whatever it is out of it, so it's looking a lot better. I'm relieved because my vet said we should consider getting it surgically sorted if it was still there in a few weeks! She's had it quite a while now so hopefully it will improve now.
How's your bunny?!

Ah okay, yeah it's always best to get the pus out, baileys looked so much better after it was all out! But that's great news! :)

I know what you mean, my vets also say if it doesn't go within a couple of weeks otherwise they'll remove it surgically.. Now that is a last resort!!

Bailey is absolutely fine in himself like your bunny, but as this is his second one, I can't help but think something is going on. His literally looks like a little ulcer on the inside of his eye lid at the moment. I'll try and get some pics later. Does your bun keep blinking?

I think we'll monitor it and see how it goes, but fear we may have to do some investigating if it doesn't go quickly! :cry:

Back