• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding is scary

luvabun

Warren Veteran
About a year ago I tried to bond my neutered male and female buns - I thought it was going to be OK but then the fur flew and it was horrible. Since then, they have the run of the garden seperately and go and sniff the other through the bars. Initally when this happened Totti (the normally extremely placid male) would scratch at the bars but he doesn't do this now. Also, when one is having a run, I cuddle the other one so the free one can explore the hutch beonging to the other. My question, gulp, should I risk an attempt at bonding again on neutral territory or admit that they will have solitary lives (albeit with loads of cuddles from their surrogate Mum).

Thanks

Jill

If I were you I would try again.

with my first two bunnies we were really unsure what to do as fur was flying (and we did not know about the forums for help).

It took us about 10 months of hard work to get them togethor and we finally did the job in an unusual way.

My OH drove around in the car with me in the back sit next two the two bunnies in an open top box. They were quite scared (as rabbits are traveling) but it was not for long and I made sure they did not get too stressed.

They cuddles togethor in the box and have lived happily ever after since. their quality of life is so much better not that they have each other. About 10 minutes of discomfort in the car was worth while as they nw have really happy lives togethor.

Good Luck

Thanks Jules,

Your story reminded me of another 2 bunnies that were bonded in the boot of the car, the reasoning being that they would bond because they were stressed and it worked. I think I'll be brave and try them in the bath - without water of course. Brody goes in there occasionally as she is not so clean round the bum but it would be a totally new experience for Totti as he hasn't been there before. He's a white albino and was originally sold to me at a discount as the pet shop thought he was blind. Ha! If they could see him run round the garden now. However, I wonder if his sight is weak and that may have an eefect on him bonding.

Gulp, here goes. Tray at the ready.

Jill

it took me a month to bond my two but a twenty minute car journey each day for two weeks helped no end. I moved on from car journeys to putting them together in the run and when they tried to fight I would break it up but keep them together, then i put them in the bathroom for a bit each day....and they are now in love.

Oh me Oh My!!!!!!

Decided to try them together in the kitchen. Held onto Totti (the male) initially and inched closer to Brody (female). Few sniffs at each others nose and no attempts to scratch so, with water spray at the ready, let him go. I was so nervous - he had a sniff round then, er, mounted Brody and did what rabbits are famous for :lol: !! He then laid down for a snooze and after a while, she mounted him and did exactly the same :? They are both neutered but that obviously does not take away the urge...... I kept a very watchful eye on them for another half an hour then have put them back in their respective cages again. They did do a bit of grooming on each other, so with that.. and the other.... does this mean they will get on now and are officially "bonded" or could fur still fly?

Jill

I didnt put mine in the same house until they had happily been together for hours at a time without fighting, even then I watched the hutch for a while. I tried the water spray but it never made any difference when mine began to fight, dont worry though it takes time for them to get used to idea that they are from the same warren.

So I'll continue with the little bit at a time process. Its my dream to see them frolicking round the garden together but I guess that will be another giant leap as they will both view that as their territory.

Jill

Mounting is usual in bonding sessions, it about whose boss rather than "I fancy you". It sounds like it went really well, lying down and grooming each other are great signs. The next step is to have them together for longer period of time and after that introduce Brody into Totti's hutch/cage.

It looks like they are going to be fine on neutral territory but there is a possibility they could scrabble when introduced to the others 'home' so keep a close eye when you do that for the first time. If they are fine then don't seperate them and they are officially 'bonded'.

Tam

Thanks Tam,

Awh, I thought Totti had finally woken up and fallen for Brod'ys charms the way I did! Anyway, once I've been through the neutral territory bit a few times, do I put Brody in totti's cage with him in there? And once they're bonded, do they have to stay together in the same huthc then forever/ shame that, i guess that means I'll have a spare hutch that will need filling......

Jill

Yep, put the female in the males cage (as female tend to be more territorial) with him there. If they get along then leave them in together. Once bonded rabbits don't have to be seperated for night times or anything so yes you'll have a spare hutch :lol:

Tam

Back