• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Candle at the vets

Glingle

Warren Veteran
I noticed at the vets this afternoon that they had a large artificial candle in the reception counter. From what I could read from where I was sat, the notice next to it said something along the lines when the candle is lit, someone is having to say goodbye to their beloved pet, please be respectful of them.
I couldn't read it properly as it set me off blubbing and it wasn't even lit! I managed to hide my leaky eyes as a dog fur allergy...

I noticed at the vets this afternoon that they had a large artificial candle in the reception counter. From what I could read from where I was sat, the notice next to it said something along the lines when the candle is lit, someone is having to say goodbye to their beloved pet, please be respectful of them.
I couldn't read it properly as it set me off blubbing and it wasn't even lit! I managed to hide my leaky eyes as a dog fur allergy...

My Vet has that in the Waiting Room too xx

When I took Doughnut for her injection last month a couple came out of the vets with just a dog lead and they were crying and the candle was lit. They were paying the bill and I nearly started crying before I went in, I hadn't even seen the dog. Apparently they really weren't expecting it.

My vet has that too - it's a lovely touch :love:

That's a lovely gesture.I use the PDSA,they allow me to leave through the back door,so I don't have to walk through the always very busy waiting room.This is usually my wee hammies time.I blub like a drain.I did take my wee budgie Jinks to a private vet to be PTS (horrible tumour,he was 12) because it was quieter and quicker.PDSA is usually 90% dogs waiting to be seen.

That's lovely but I couldn't deal with it, myself. When I have an upset, I always leave without paying (can't get out fast enough). I usually ring up a couple of days later and pay by card.

My vets used to have that, but recently I noticed it had disappeared :( I thought it was a nice idea, there's nothing worse than hearing people laughing etc at such a sad time :(

That's lovely but I couldn't deal with it, myself. When I have an upset, I always leave without paying (can't get out fast enough). I usually ring up a couple of days later and pay by card.

In the unhurried and gentle process of having three of my bunnehs pts last year, the staff brought in the card machine so I could pay up the £300 without going to the desk, which was kind but also ensured I didn't leave without paying!

I do as well.

I hadn't noticed the candle when I was last at Trinity, although I might've missed it. With Mini Mark asked us to come at the end of morning surgery so it was quiet anyway.

We didn't have this when I worked in practice but I love the idea.
We used to book clients in for the quieter time, before or after consults so it'd just be staff and the clients saying goodbye in the practice.
Any unknown / untrusted clients were asked to pay before going in as we had to fill out paperwork anyway.
Trusted clients could either pay after before leaving, a few days later, or when they came in to collect ashes.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I hate to see upset people in the waiting room. It feels so intrusive. :( When we said goodbye to Amber this week the vet said we should just leave without paying and phone it in. That's the first time I've ever been told to do that, and it was much appreciated.

I hate to see upset people in the waiting room. It feels so intrusive. :( When we said goodbye to Amber this week the vet said we should just leave without paying and phone it in. That's the first time I've ever been told to do that, and it was much appreciated.

Yeah Sam does that to me too. At her previous practice she used to take me through the back and let me out the back door so I didn't have to walk back out through the store, but that's a bit harder to do at the current one - although she has still offered it to me!

Yeah Sam does that to me too. At her previous practice she used to take me through the back and let me out the back door so I didn't have to walk back out through the store, but that's a bit harder to do at the current one - although she has still offered it to me!

As you know, I have seen a lot of vets! Hard to believe this was the first time really

Interesting to see that it's quite common. When I had to say goodbye to my beautiful Flop, I was so flustered that I forgot my handbag and just sat blubbing in the waiting room. Fortunately, one of the receptionists took pity on me and let me wait in an empty consulting room until the vet came and joined me. Hubby went later that day and paid for me. I still think that I'll have to sit with my back to it, especially if it's lit!

My local vets have one. I commented how lovely it was.

I could actually hear someone shouting in the waiting room being shushed yesterday when saying goodbye to Rudy, to be honest it was just background noise.. laughter and mirth might have been upsetting though. :(

My local vets have one. I commented how lovely it was.

I could actually hear someone shouting in the waiting room being shushed yesterday when saying goodbye to Rudy, to be honest it was just background noise.. laughter and mirth might have been upsetting though. :(
I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to Rudy x

Back