• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deep cleaning re. Ec

cara

Alpha Buck
Teddy is peeing inappropriately again :cry: So assuming EC might have flared up again.

Still waiting to hear back on the dosing for Panacur (already had a course) but want meanwhile turn my attention to cleaning.

Teddy lives in, essentially, a shed. I find it daunting in how I can tackle the entire thing. Would I have to clean every inch? Or just the litter trays and floor?

What do you use? And what method?

Any suggestions really appreciated!

Teddy is peeing inappropriately again :cry: So assuming EC might have flared up again.

Still waiting to hear back on the dosing for Panacur (already had a course) but want meanwhile turn my attention to cleaning.

Teddy lives in, essentially, a shed. I find it daunting in how I can tackle the entire thing. Would I have to clean every inch? Or just the litter trays and floor?

Cleaning all areas which have come into contact with urine is necessary. A 10% bleach solution (and rinse well) can be used as this will kill EC spores.

Details of environmental control of EC can be found by scrolling down to near to the bottom of this page

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Hiya Cara :wave:

Sorry to hear about Teddy. Poor lad!

I should try and clean the litter tray and floor with a 1% solution of bleach. 1% has been shown to be as effective in killing E.C. spores as anything else you might use.

Rinse well and try not to be paranoid. He's had a course of Panacur, so hopefully not shedding too many spores.
You can only do your best :)

Thank you both, once again :wave:

So, I have steam cleaned litter trays and a platform the sits on.

I am going to bleach the concrete floor. Being totally scatty with weights, measures etc. I have no idea how to measure out the solution :oops: (Slight difference in opinion between you both on the concentration!).

Whichever amount of bleach I go with, does the concentration of the bleach itself enter the equation? For instance, I have had cheap and cheerful stuff, but just happen to have the thicker domestos bleach at the moment. And then, assuming all things equal - how do you measure up a decent quantity? I will be scrubbing the floor with the outside brush, dipped in the solution.

I don't want to poison Teddy :shock:

Not yet started the Panacur as only have a couple of doses of the paste form left, but my vet is checking out Jacks-Jane liquid formulation, which I would prefer to go with. So, I don't want to start the paste, and then run out it as need to know which one I am going with, if you see what I mean!

And strangely perhaps, after yesterdays piddles all over the show, Teddy is dry today :?

Thank you both, once again :wave:

So, I have steam cleaned litter trays and a platform the sits on.

I am going to bleach the concrete floor. Being totally scatty with weights, measures etc. I have no idea how to measure out the solution :oops: (Slight difference in opinion between you both on the concentration!).

Whichever amount of bleach I go with, does the concentration of the bleach itself enter the equation? For instance, I have had cheap and cheerful stuff, but just happen to have the thicker domestos bleach at the moment. And then, assuming all things equal - how do you measure up a decent quantity? I will be scrubbing the floor with the outside brush, dipped in the solution.

I don't want to poison Teddy :shock:

Not yet started the Panacur as only have a couple of doses of the paste form left, but my vet is checking out Jacks-Jane liquid formulation, which I would prefer to go with. So, I don't want to start the paste, and then run out it as need to know which one I am going with, if you see what I mean!

And strangely perhaps, after yesterdays piddles all over the show, Teddy is dry today :?

I tend to use the Intervet liquid formulation of Panacur for my rabbits ;)

I could be wrong, but I think thick bleach is just regular bleach with a thickener in it. When I was using bleach to clean for EC, I bought the thin kind.

When using it with a mop, I'd use a measuring jug for the bleach first, then add the appropriate amount of water (via the measuring jug).

I could be wrong, but I think thick bleach is just regular bleach with a thickener in it. When I was using bleach to clean for EC, I bought the thin kind.

When using it with a mop, I'd use a measuring jug for the bleach first, then add the appropriate amount of water (via the measuring jug).

:thumb:

Makes it cling to the bowl!

Ah, thickener, that makes sense!

So, for instance, if I was to make up a litre, how much bleach do I add :oops:

It's not just the concentration of bleach that matters - the contact time is just as important. So the weaker the solution, the longer you will have to leave it for it to be effective.

It's not just the concentration of bleach that matters - the contact time is just as important. So the weaker the solution, the longer you will have to leave it for it to be effective.

1% bleach left on for a minimum of 30 seconds does the job :thumb:

Back