• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

housing suggestions?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
(hoping this can go here)

so, I feel very stuck and very unhappy. before I had two bunnies living in a massive dog crate with mostly, free run of my room 12 hours ish a day. bun since february they've been fighting so I've now got two bunnies with 100cm x 50cm of space to themselves. i feel like a terrible owner, and there really is nowhere else that i can place them.

i was possibly wondering for a space of 200cm x 80cm, what are my options for housing that can give them space? this would need to be for two bunnies to be kept separate during the day when i can not keep an eye on them.

one thing i was thinking about would be a breeders hutch. so basically two separate hutches on top of one another of maybe the entire space i can offer. most of the time im in my bedroom so they'd just have more space of the night/morning to hop around in, until i can let them out to play. or possibly a hutch where the bottom can be blocked from the top, so they can live together if they ever get along.

im not entirely sure, and i need some ideas as to what could work in this sticky situation.

i cant keep them together due to aggression, so only when I'm watching can they interact. its difficult as they mostly ignore one another, until they have a little spat which i need to stop, and then they're okay again.

If they used to live together, it should be possible to rebond them, but it would have to be totally away from your room. I'm sure people have suggested this before, but is there no one local who could take them away, bond them and you totally neutralise your room? Then they could be free range in your room? I'm sorry, I don't have any other advice, I've read the threads and it's a tricky situation but I'm too far away to offer any help.
Otherwise it's just splitting the space as you currently do.

Have you considered buying some NIC (or C&C) grids? You could build upwards so it wouldn't take up as much floorspace to provide more room. Compared to a hutch I think they would be more cost-effective too, I managed to get mine relatively inexpensively from eBay. The grids can be rearranged so would be good if you manage to bond them.
Maybe something similar to the 9th photo down on this thread? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing&p=4899624&viewfull=1#post4899624

If they used to live together, it should be possible to rebond them, but it would have to be totally away from your room. I'm sure people have suggested this before, but is there no one local who could take them away, bond them and you totally neutralise your room? Then they could be free range in your room? I'm sorry, I don't have any other advice, I've read the threads and it's a tricky situation but I'm too far away to offer any help.
Otherwise it's just splitting the space as you currently do.

I created a post in behavior and bonding, that i'm guessing you saw. I have quite literally exhausted all of my options with no luck for either of them :/ they still hate one another, and I really can't let them live together without supervision 24/7. so far i've found nothing close by that could try to rebond them or somebody who would do it. i'm not a big one for taking either of these guys on long car journeys. the closest lady i've found who does anything is a good 3 hour car drive away.. really not something I can go ahead and do. nor would my parents agree too.

Have you considered buying some NIC (or C&C) grids? You could build upwards so it wouldn't take up as much floorspace to provide more room. Compared to a hutch I think they would be more cost-effective too, I managed to get mine relatively inexpensively from eBay. The grids can be rearranged so would be good if you manage to bond them.
Maybe something similar to the 9th photo down on this thread? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing&p=4899624&viewfull=1#post4899624

i've been looking all over for them and, i'm actually having serious issues. of all of the ones i find, it would be less expensive to purchase a hutch which is a pain. and also my parents aren't very DIY either, even if its just a simple thing, they refuse. i think it took me more than a year to make my hamster a bin cage. its something i can try and suggest.

i've been looking all over for them and, i'm actually having serious issues. of all of the ones i find, it would be less expensive to purchase a hutch which is a pain. and also my parents aren't very DIY either, even if its just a simple thing, they refuse. i think it took me more than a year to make my hamster a bin cage. its something i can try and suggest.

It took me a long time to find reasonably priced grids too! I've found the seller I got mine from, they sell them as already built cages but come flat packed: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-C-C-GUINEA-PIG-CAVY-LARGE-INDOOR-PLAY-PEN-CAGE-METAL-GRID-MESH-CUBE-/251327947983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a845024cf

I didn't use them so can't give an opinion but they also sell supports so you can make a 'loft'. If you got a few of them you might not actually need to use wood for the base - you would need something though (i.e., fleece, lino, carpet) - maybe this might make it more appealing to your parents as not as much DIY is required?:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-C-C-WHITE-CAGE-ROOF-LOFT-SUPPORT/290931264637

There are lots of tutorials on youtube for 'NIC rabbit condos' - might be worth having a look at them too?

Back