• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't believe some vets still unaware of RVHD2

Den

Mama Doe
I just feel so upset. I've read a really sad thread on a Facebook group where someone has lost 2 rabbits since Friday to RVHD2. The first one passed away at home and the second was taken to the vets today but sadly passed away a little while ago.

The vet has now ordered the vaccine as they have seen a lot of deaths in the past couple of weeks.

The saddest thing was the owner had them as 2 single buns but sent them away to be bonded 2 weeks ago and I can't help thinking they may have contracted the virus there.:cry:

This is in the Herne Bay area of Kent.

I'm so **** angry with her vet. First for not knowing about the virus hence not stocking the vaccine but their attitude towards the PM is really not good enough either ... it would be so useful to confirm that it was VHD2.

She must feel horrendous for the circumstances, it just looks so likely they picked it up when being bonded :cry:

I just feel so upset. I've read a really sad thread on a Facebook group where someone has lost 2 rabbits since Friday to RVHD2. The first one passed away at home and the second was taken to the vets today but sadly passed away a little while ago.

The vet has now ordered the vaccine as they have seen a lot of deaths in the past couple of weeks.

The saddest thing was the owner had them as 2 single buns but sent them away to be bonded 2 weeks ago and I can't help thinking they may have contracted the virus there.:cry:

This is in the Herne Bay area of Kent.

Were these two cases confirmed as RHD2 by PM, Den?

I'm so **** angry with her vet. First for not knowing about the virus hence not stocking the vaccine but their attitude towards the PM is really not good enough either ... it would be so useful to confirm that it was VHD2.

She must feel horrendous for the circumstances, it just looks so likely they picked it up when being bonded :cry:

Yes, my sentiments exactly. Can't say that to her obviously, but if that's really how it all came about I think her vet's attitude sucks!!

Were these two cases confirmed as RHD2 by PM, Den?

No. The vet apparently said it wasn't worth doing a PM as she had no other rabbits :evil:But the vet also said it was definitely RVHD2 as 'they've had over 10 rabbits die in the last week '.

I'm just so thankful for this forum and Santa's Facebook group which gave me enough information so that I knew what I was talking about when I was asking my own vets about Filavac this time last year.

No. The vet apparently said it wasn't worth doing a PM as she had no other rabbits :evil:But the vet also said it was definitely RVHD2 as 'they've had over 10 rabbits die in the last week '.

I'm just so thankful for this forum and Santa's Facebook group which gave me enough information so that I knew what I was talking about when I was asking my own vets about Filavac this time last year.

Sorry Den, but without a PM a vet cannot say that 'it was definitely RHD2'

It could've been anything :(

I agree that the vet could be better educated in certain areas, but that's a different subject to suggesting these two rabbits really did die from RHD2

Sorry Den, but without a PM a vet cannot say that 'it was definitely RHD2'

It could've been anything :(

I agree that the vet could be better educated in certain areas, but that's a different subject to suggesting these two rabbits really did die from RHD2
Yes I realise that. I was just quoting what the vets told the owner. What she have been told is that it could have been RVHD2.

The main purpose of the thread was to highlight how badly informed some vets still appear to be.:cry:

Yes I realise that. I was just quoting what the vets told the owner. What she have been told is that it could have been RVHD2.

The main purpose of the thread was to highlight how badly informed some vets still appear to be.:cry:

Thank you for highlighting the issue, I am sure that the majority of people assume that their Vet would be aware of such a widely publicised serious health threat. Your thread will hopefully ensure that no-one just assumes that a Vet they may consult will be up-to-date on the latest situation re RHD2.

Yes I understand that. Just like with human health, it's always best to be aware and take as much responsibility as you feel able for what treatment is or isn't given. We pay for a service, but no-one is infallible.

Just to find out if they are actually invested in rabbits these days, I rang a local veterinary hospital to ask if they had Filavac. The receptionist paused for a long time then had to ask the dispensary (that will be a no then!). She came back with "we don't actually stock this one here, if that's the one you wanted?" Yes, I said, I wanted to protect 'her' from RHD2 as there has been an outbreak in the area. There was a long pause, followed by 'sorry'. Wow. Really. Wow. Glad I moved my rabbits elsewhere!

Thanks to this site I was well aware of the seriousness of VHD2 well before mine and many other vet practices.
Even when I insisted that my two would be treated with Filivac my vet said it was unnecessary at that time but later ate his words when he really saw how serious it was and said that if he still had his rabbits he would definitely vaccinate as it's the right thing to do.

Out of interest I jusy rang my vets, who didn't have the vaccine last year. They still don't have it! Makes me so angry! Looks like I'll be taking Bungee elsewhere again.

Out of interest I jusy rang my vets, who didn't have the vaccine last year. They still don't have it! Makes me so angry! Looks like I'll be taking Bungee elsewhere again.

No harm in going elsewhere :D

I didn't go to my 'normal' vet because of the high prices ....

Back