PDA

View Full Version : Black Nails

Holly Go-Lightly
13-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Time to bit the bullet and cut Jodies nails. She has been living indoors and not wearing them down so I have to do the deed!

Any advice on finding the quick in black nails?

beck
13-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Hoppy had black nails I had to get the vet to do it as I couldn't cut close enough.

Tamsin
13-09-2004, 07:14 PM
A torch, if you shine the light through you should be able to see :)

Tam

Holly Go-Lightly
13-09-2004, 07:27 PM
A torch, if you shine the light through you should be able to see :)

Tam

Hehe. Me and what army? Jodie is a first class nut case. I don't think I can hold her, a torch and the clippers. BUT good idea for a nice normal black rabbit.

I'll hold the torch for the vet :wink:

anon101
13-09-2004, 07:33 PM
I had this problem with one of my buns.

As I've got poor eyesight I enlisted my OH to cut nails while I held the bun.

The poor man was terrified of cutting to much off. Thankfully the bun remained calm and splodged out on the table while his beauty treatment was being carried out! :)

Louise

Tamsin
13-09-2004, 07:38 PM
If there isn't a helpful assistant then it might be better roping in the vet :) If you do try yourself have some cornflower handy as a pinch of that will stop the bleeding if you nick the quick.

You could try juggling to torch & the bunny to get an idea of where the quick is and then try the clipping.

Tam

Bertie
13-09-2004, 07:46 PM
I can never cut close enough. I'm too much of a coward. My vet does it for free if I ask nicely at the end of an appointment for something else. Otherwise, it's a two person job in my household. I hold the bunny and the torch and close my eyes while my OH does the deed.

I do find my bunnies struggle less if we sort of pin them to the kitchen counter on a tea towel. I sound so cruel. :? But I think the combination of being high up and in an area they're unfamiliar with helps keep them from wriggling so much.