• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbiy V Hares

Niklovesrats

Warren Scout
Went to look at some bunnies and there was a litter of Belgian Hares, the cutest looking things ever!! Both myself and my daughter fell in love!! Mum was ever so friendly and despite us being strangers was more than happy to let us stroke her babies. Anyone here got hares? How do they differ to Rabbits???? Looking for some education!!

Went to look at some bunnies and there was a litter of Belgian Hares, the cutest looking things ever!! Both myself and my daughter fell in love!! Mum was ever so friendly and despite us being strangers was more than happy to let us stroke her babies. Anyone here got hares? How do they differ to Rabbits???? Looking for some education!!

http://petcaretips.net/belgian-hares.html

A Belgian Hare is not actually a hare, but a variety of
domesticated rabbit that originated in Belgium and was
deliberately bred to resemble a hare. After the breed was
taken to England the breed was refined still more in the
1870's by the Lumb brothers, who bred for the "wild hare"
appearance of the Belgian Hares of today. England also
developed the first show standard for the breed.

Belgian Hares are technically another rabbit breed, but they do have specific needs over and above rabbits:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/breeds/rabbits/belgian-hares/

Interesting stuff! Where did you see the buns Nik?

A story about a Belgium Hare. I went to P@H recently and fell in love with a 5 month old rabbit, Dave, in their rescue/adopt bit. I adopted him and took him home. I put him in an enclosure without a roof ( cordoned off part of my aviary style run) while I was sorting out his accommodation. He jumped clean over it, in with the other rabbits. Gah! Quickly put him into his accommodation, not quite ready as I hadn't attached a run. He spent 24 hours running up and down, up and down. I totally panicked and took him back to P@H.!
Next day, my friend sent a link to Belgium Hares and I realised he was certainly mainly Belgium Hare. I read it and realised I'd not given him the right accommodation. Really regretted taking him back.so, I rung P@H and persuaded them to let me adopt him again (I know, I'm a total idiot). They did agree once I'd explained his breed (they didn't know) and I showed them the new improved accommodation. So, I've now got him back, he's gorgeous! Clever, funny, friendly and beautiful! I've had a 6 x 8 super strong run made which is attached to his hutch at the back. I'm going to bond him with my lop once he's ready.
My point, after a long story, is, read up on Belgium Hares! Dave runs around ALL THE TIME! Yesterday I put a new runaround tunnel (thanks esupi!) that I've just bought on the front of his hutch and he ran up and down it for 6 hours, non stop. He makes my other rabbits look so lazy. I adore him, so glad I went back for him. They are truly a lovely breed.

I had two belgian hares. They are beautiful by man do they move and poo! They are gorgeous, inquisitive and intelligent.

I saw them when I went to view a continental giant, the lady had a litter of conti's and a litter of hares, like I said though despite the fact we were total strangers with smells of other rabbits mum was very happy to let us play with her babies, they left me enchanted!

Back