• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age for spaying?

myrabbitbenji

Young Bun
There seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion over this but would like advice on the ideal age to spay a continental giant female rabbit. She is currently 11 weeks old

Thank you for any advice and opinions on this

There seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion over this but would like advice on the ideal age to spay a continental giant female rabbit. She is currently 11 weeks old

Hi there :wave:

'Normal' sized rabbit breeds can usually be spayed around 4 - 6 months

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Giant breeds normally mature a couple of months later

https://www.thespruce.com/rabbit-spayed-or-neutered-age-1237203

I am assuming you've had your rabbit vaccinated? (There are two vaccines to be had nowadays). At that visit did the vet mention when he/she would normally spay a giant rabbit?

Personally I have Giant breeds spayed at the age of 9-10 months of age. Smaller breeds mature more quickly and some Vets will spay them from the age of 4-5 months of age. HOWEVER, my Vet is extremely experienced with Rabbit neutering, working closely with our local Rescue for over 10 years. She now feels that no Doe under the age of about 6 months should be spayed, unless in exceptional circumstances, as it has been found that 'early spays' can lead to behavioural problems (aggression) in the mature Doe.

I would make an appointment with your Vet to discuss their protocol on Rabbit Neutering and also arrange to have your Doe vaccinated, if this has not yet been done. It is now recommended that all Rabbits, including House Rabbits are vaccinated with both the Myxomatosis-RHD vaccine AND the RHD2 vaccine. The two vaccinations need to be given at least 2 weeks apart.

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund provide a vast amount of information on their website

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Many people on RU are members of the RWAF :)

You can spay your rabbit without any doubt when it reaches sexual maturity. The average age to hit sexual maturity for rabbits is around 4-6 months. After that, you can spay them even every 2-3 months and take a new breed.

You can spay your rabbit without any doubt when it reaches sexual maturity. The average age to hit sexual maturity for rabbits is around 4-6 months. After that, you can spay them even every 2-3 months and take a new breed.

This thread is over 4 years old. I’m afraid that I don’t understand what you are saying.

Back