• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie hutch questions

RussAb

Young Bun
We get Abbie, our first ever rabbit ( http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=1383 ), in a couple of weeks....we can get just about everything we will need initially from the sanctuary except for the hutch, which I need to find. I've had a decent search through some of the posts here and have ended up with more questions than answers! I thought I'd put them up here in case anyone could help me with them. I'll try and keep them brief..... :D :D

1. As we both work Abbie will be on her own during the day (although we don't work long hours and will spend a lot of time with her during evenings and weekends) I thought it would be more stimulating for her if she got a companion, so I'm planning to get a hutch able to house 2 bunnies.

This seems to mean a 5 footer minimum, which isn't a problem. But many of these that I've seen only have one enclosed area (e.g. http://www.happyhutch.com/product.asp?productID=38 ) - is this ok for two rabbits? Or would something like http://www.happyhutch.com/product.asp?productID=210 be better so they've got their own closed-off spaces.

2. The person at the sanctuary indicated I should look out for what the hutch was made of. Are there some materials I ought to avoid? A lot seem to be made of tongue-and-groove, so is this pretty much the norm for hutches?

3. Is there anything else I ought to look out for when buying a hutch?

An attached run isn't a possibility right now...our garden slopes and I'm worried the contours of the garden might make a run insecure (easy to get under). We will be flattening out the garden soon and I'll probably build a run to attach when it's suitable.

Thanks

Russ

Hello Russ, Happy Hutch are a very good hutch company that builds good quality hutches, Lizzie has one of theirs, or two. Anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned about providing a bonded pair with their own enclosed area, as they will generally sit together.

My only tip to avoid with the hutch is avoid ply, absolutely no weather protection whatsoever. Felt on roof, legs so hutch is raised off the ground, good solid construction, and bolts on the doors.

annie

Both those hutches look good, we learnt the hard way how important it to get a good quality hutch (it was too small and ended up falling apart)

If your rabbits aren't bonded they will need their own space, and it's good to keep a spare afterwards anyway, in case one is ill or something.

Check the bolts on the doors are really tight, the ones on Branwen's hutch got loose and she nearly managed to escape. A padlock might be a good idea too.

how about getting her a childrens play house or shed to live in? she would have a lot more room to run around.two of my buns are getting treated to a 10/6 shed its comming aweek on mon they will have the run of the whole shed very lucky bunnies!

Be wary of hutches made from thin plywood, you'll often find this in petshops as they are cheap.

You don't need a bed area each for two rabbits, they usually curl up together.

www.happyhutch.com
www.pethouse-uk.com
www.rehutches.com

offer a range of hutches, I think all 3 companies will also custom make a larger hutch if you like the style but its not long enough.

Two story hutches are a good way to get extra space without taking up extra garden room.

Legs are important as they prevent the damp getting to the base up the hutch and help keep buns snug. A slight slope on the roof makes sure rain runs off instead of puddling. The catches should be bolts rather than twists of wood (although you can replace these or if you ask the companies will usually fit these for you). Also look at height/depth not just length, 2' high x 2' deep gives the extra space for standing up/stretch out. Again if you ask the companies they will usually custom build the sizes on request.

Hope that helps :)

Tam

Back