• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding - How much

sammy123

Young Bun
Does anyone know how much food i should give my rabbit, she will be 8 weeks when i get her. Ive brought her a big pack of Hay ready, and some little packet treats, havent brought the pellet food yet though! thought i wait until nearer the time, just not sure how much i should be giving her each day, and if she hasn't finished whats in her dish, can you leave it for the next day???? So much to learn! :oops:

If you buy pellet feed it should have guidelines on the side of the packet for how much to give (depending on the weight of your bunny)
We just asked how much our rabbits normally ate and gave them the same amount. I suppose that could apply to any rabbit.

Rabbits are well known for being very picky, they will leave all the grain and pellets (the stuff that's good for them) at the bottom. :roll:
So yes keep it there and don't give them anymore till eat it, which will happen when they get hungry.

Another important tip, keep your new bunny the same food they were eating before. Any diet changes should be phased in gradually or they will get an upset stomach.

Don't worry about asking loads of questions, it's the only way to learn and we are happy to help :)

Young bunnies can have quite delicate tummies. Don't feed too much at once, and keep an eye on her tum. She should have a nice soft tum, and if she starts feeling a bit bloated cut back on her pellets and veggies and leave her with the hay.

Yep, as said you'll need to start them off on the food they are eating already as young buns have delicate stomacks. Depending what food they are on you may want to change it at a later date in which case you need to gradually switch by mixing the two foods together.

If she hasn't finished whats in her bowl by the following day that means you gave her too much :)

Becareful with treats as they can also upset tummies on young/sensitive buns and shouldn't be fed in large quanities.

An average adult bun will only need 50g of pellets and should eat mostly hay and fresh veg. A young bun is still growing so can have pellets ad lib aslong as shes also eating plenty of hay.

Tam

I would give her time to settle in before introducing vegetables if she hasn't had them before. If her poop is ok after a few weeks then you can add very small pieces and gradualy build it up.

Tam

Back