• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Op Advice Please

Sandi-C

Young Bun
Hello and sorry to interrupt Easter!

My little girl Scampy had her spay on Tuesday and came home on Wednesday. She has come home with Metacam, Cisapride and Marbocyl. She has been a bit subdued which of course is to be expected. I have been giving all her meds on time and she is nibbling here and there on food but not drinking much. I am worried because she has had GI Stasis three times in the past few months, and now her poops look tiny. However, she should be covered for this with all the above meds?
My query is that tonight should I syringe her some water or actually syringe her some Critical Care feed?
The fact she is eating is making me hold back on the CC but I am worried about her dehydrating.
Is giving her the water enough?

I am putting extra water on her veg and I think that's helping but not enough maybe?

Plus she's not moving around much but I guess that's to be expected also. Her male companion is doing his best at looking after her too :love:

The wound site remains clean.

Thanks for any tips!

Hello and sorry to interrupt Easter!

My little girl Scampy had her spay on Tuesday and came home on Wednesday. She has come home with Metacam, Cisapride and Marbocyl. She has been a bit subdued which of course is to be expected. I have been giving all her meds on time and she is nibbling here and there on food but not drinking much. I am worried because she has had GI Stasis three times in the past few months, and now her poops look tiny. However, she should be covered for this with all the above meds?
My query is that tonight should I syringe her some water or actually syringe her some Critical Care feed?
The fact she is eating is making me hold back on the CC but I am worried about her dehydrating.
Is giving her the water enough?

I am putting extra water on her veg and I think that's helping but not enough maybe?

Plus she's not moving around much but I guess that's to be expected also. Her male companion is doing his best at looking after her too :love:

The wound site remains clean.

Thanks for any tips!

The Cisapride is a gut motility stimulant which should help to keep her GI tract ticking over. Did the Vet say why antibiotics were prescribed ? Antibiotics are not usually routinely given after neutering.

Re the water, does Scampy drink from a bottle or a bowl ? Rabbits tend to prefer a bowl when they are not feeling 100% due to having had a GA. Personally I would not syringe feed her if she is eating for herself. It may stress her out and thus be counterproductive.

What is her wee output like ?

thank you so much for getting back to me Jack' Jane.

The AB's were prescribed because the vet said her breathing sounded a bit muffled post op, possibly due to the tube? This morning about an hour before her meds were due she was making little grunting/snoring type sounds which I assume were pain noises, her breathing seems fine.

She has a bowl out and has always used just the bowl. It's hard to determine her urine output because she shares the litter tray with Finn, but it seems a regular amount for both of them at present.

I'm due to do her meds in half an hour, should I syringe 1ml of additional water anyway? And hold off on the CC feed like you said (I wasn't looking forward to having to do that especially if she doesn't need it).

thank you so much for getting back to me Jack' Jane.

The AB's were prescribed because the vet said her breathing sounded a bit muffled post op, possibly due to the tube? This morning about an hour before her meds were due she was making little grunting/snoring type sounds which I assume were pain noises, her breathing seems fine.

She has a bowl out and has always used just the bowl. It's hard to determine her urine output because she shares the litter tray with Finn, but it seems a regular amount for both of them at present.

I'm due to do her meds in half an hour, should I syringe 1ml of additional water anyway? And hold off on the CC feed like you said (I wasn't looking forward to having to do that especially if she doesn't need it).

1ml of oral fluid wont really make much difference, she'd need about 5ml-10ml/kg. If she is eating wet Veg that will be providing some fluids. You could try putting a splash fruit juice into their drinking water. Or giving tepid water, strangely some Rabbits will drink tepid water when they have not seemed interested in cold water.

Oh my goodness that much?? I don't even think she drinks that in a whole day from her bowl usually! :shock:
I will continue with the wet kale etc and see how she goes.
Thanks again!

Hi JJ, she's great today, thank you for asking!

She is eating well and I saw her drink from the bowl. She seems much more comfortable and I'm a lot more relaxed now. She has her post op check coming up on Tuesday.

Wishing you and your furry family a lovely Easter break :wave:

Hi JJ, she's great today, thank you for asking!

She is eating well and I saw her drink from the bowl. She seems much more comfortable and I'm a lot more relaxed now. She has her post op check coming up on Tuesday.

Wishing you and your furry family a lovely Easter break :wave:

That's great news !! A happy Scampy Bunny again :love: Hope that you all have a lovely Easter too :D

Back