• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing my bunnies to my dog...

kazza378

New Kit
It's still early days yet, I've only had my bunnies a week, but eventually, I want my two to be house bunnies. They are Tilly and Dilly - 2 dwarf lops. :love:

I'm still making friends with them at the moment, but I'd also like to introduce Roxy to them. She goes right up to their cage and they always come to say hello, but obviously the cage is between them...

I know it's going to take time and I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes, but I'd really appreciate some advise on the best way to approach this

Who's done this, and how???!!!!

Karen xxx

I haven't done it but remember reading that the first step is to teach your dog the leave/no command. After that I'd suggest having the rabbit on your lap and someone else holding the dog on a lead so they can sniff with you in control.

Tam

doggies

my doggies is fantasic with my bunnies.....he did work out though how to open hutches, which we swiftly changed....but everymorning he sticks his nose in and gives all bunnies a 'good morning lick' lol

my dog is great with cheeky . Cheeky has always been a houserabbit and my dog Toby is so gentle and good natured that I knew there would be no problems . Just trust your instincts and always exercise caution because you just never know .

Gina .

I dont have any dogs just cats/rabbits (who get on brill together).

But I've got a friend who has four dogs, Rotties and Boxers. She has five buns and as far as I am aware they all get along fine.

Louise

Karen, it really depends on your dog! I would let mine in the shed and he was fine with all the rabbits whilst I was there but when I let him onto the garden whilst the buns were being "walked" by my children he just went wild and I really had to struggle to control him. I would never let him near them when they are not protected by a run now which really does not bother him?

I know that this is not the case every time - just exercise caution as his reaction really shocked me and if I had not been there it would have been a very sad day indeed.

Bob's right, it depends on the dog. I have two elderly toy Manchester terriers and I don't trust either of them with Tweed. When they get a sniff of him they immediately go into hysterical "rip it up" terrier mode. I don't trust my old cat either as he is a hunter who has killed rabbits before and also shows an interest in Tweed, but I'd call it an unhealthy interest, ie stalking position, tail waving etc. But I know for sure that my late pug would have loved a bunny friend and also my mum's smoochy cuddly cat would not hurt a rabbit. So yes, depends on the animal, its age and type. Be very very careful. Sometimes it's enough to get acceptance/tolerance between pets, they don't necessarily have to be friends.

I have two dogs and one dog I trust and the other I definately do not trust with bunnies. The one dog sniffs them and then goes to sleep but the other goes into hyper barking exitement mode. I think it's important to act disinterested in the bunny the way you want the dog to behave, dont make a fuss of the bun in front of the dog but show him the rabbit is nothing important to go mad about. My dogs are staffordshire bull terriers.

My beloved Jack Russel Toby was the sweetest friend you could have! He totally changed when he was out and got the whiff of a rabbit (hunting doggie) He was uncontrollable and one day he he was so desperate to get at a rabbit he ripped his "man parts" on a barbed wire fence. We noticed the blood when we took him in and were horrified to see the damage he had done...ripped almost off!! He did recover but oooooyahh :(

Aaah Marlene, so sorry to hear about Toby injuring himself in that way, and it just illustrates how strong the natural instincts can be in animals.

I think it is always sensible to supervise rabbit/dog interactions as it can only take one thing to upset the apple cart and the bunny would in most cases (!) come off much worse than the dog.
All animals can be taught behavioural responses to varying degrees, but the natural instincts still remain somewhere, so it is about understanding this, not taking chances (ie leaving a dog and bunny unsupervised so you can intervene if necessary) nor becoming complacent.

Tamsins suggestion of a method for testing a dogs and rabbits reaction to one another is a very sensible one, and means you can take full control of the situation if necessary.

I also believe that all relationships have to be gradually built upon, so you cannot rush these things, just do a little bit of dog/ rabbit bonding at a time, and stage it carefully so both animals feel secure in one anothers company.

4146efec01b91.jpg

A pic to prove how good my beautiful boy was with my snuggly buggs...
(Now both at the Rainbow Bridge..... don't half miss um :cry: )

Buggs was the one who used to hassle Zak :lol:

They were so good together :D

I can see Bugs eying up Zac as if to say "what will I do while he's not looking" Lovely photo and I am sure you have lots of happy memories :p

Back