• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny advice.

chillybonkers

Warren Scout
So after losing our old timer bunny just after xmas i now feel ready to take on another furbaby. Not ideal timing with it being Easter i know but i have lots of time off at the moment and we have massive double hutch and a secure free roaming garden to offer to a little one. AnywY have had a quick scout around and stupidly ended up looking at the adoption bunnies in pets at home. All my previous buns have been unwanted rescues so wouldnt even normally think of PAH but....there is a small black male who's been there since Jan whos agressive. Part of me thinks this is prob due to being homed with some horrible people or the fact hes been shut in that cube for 2 months with no room to binky. Question is would u touch him with a barge pole?? Im quite used to handling rabbits but not really really aggressive ones. Dont u think he deserves a chance? Opinions please i feel so bad for him but am worried am opening a jar of worms....

hi i would say adopt him becuase the main reason of him being aggresive is probably dueto how they handle rabbits and care for them also like you said it might be dueto his small cage .so adopt him and hekight be happy as soon as he is in a large space also do you now if hes neauterd because if not you could get him neautred which will hopefully take away the aggresion inside of him.:wave:

Hmmm... we all know that black bunnies aren't popular, and coupled with his behaviour issues, this poor lad may find it hard to get a new home.

If you have the time and space, you can always find bunny a wifeybun in a rescue?

I got my Dave from PAT rescue bit, felt so sorry for him in that small cage and he'd been there 7 weeks. The staff were lovely actually, they were all really fond of him, and you get a free neutering and vacs voucher. I've had him vaccinated and neutered now. Its always a risk taking on a new bunny, but I'd say go for it. Poor little thing. My previous bridge bunny Comet was black and had been in a rescue for a year as no one wanted a black bunny.

By the way, my bridge bunny Comet used to go for anyone who put their hand in his space, he'd lunge and growl, everyone was scared of him (teehee), except me, I loved him and once you picked him up he was the most snuggly bunny ever. He died last November and I still miss him.

hi ,
well i have a black bunny who used to be aggresive and horrible but since i have being spending a lot of time with him he has became more freindly to be around

Hi chilly. It's lovely that you are considering this bun as lot of potential adopters could be put off.

I think as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open and are prepared for the possibility that he may always have issues, then I don't see any reason why not. As others have said it may just be due to the life he has had so far and he might come round. If not, you could still give him a lovely life, he just won't be one of those cuddly buns.

We took in a doe from gumtree, who lived in a tiny hutch with hardly any interaction. She is different to all our others buns, she's fiesty and will try to nip my legs / ankles when I go in the room (indoors) and makes a honking noise if you try to pick her up. But we love her and laugh about it. She has calmed down a lot since we got her friend, but I think she will always have that side to her x

And actually, grumpy bunnies can live awesome lives if they have someone who understands them.

X

Well, 'Bobby' will have to wait. Been back to the store today 24 miles at that and they refused to sell him to me as they dont home bunnies over Easter. To say im a tad p'd off is an understatement - not because of the rule -i suppose thats quite right given the numpties in there looking for an Easter bunny but the lack of this advice at 17.00 last night when i spoke to the same store assistant who btw is going to ensure this poor bunny never finds a home by making him out to be hannibal lecter in bunny form. Not allowed to reserve him either as i cant then get to the store again until weds morning due to work - although she doesn't think he will be going anywhere anyway 'because of his attitude' so u fortunately another 4 days of kids banging on the glass at him 🙁

Finally we have him�� hes not as agressive as i thought (at the moment anyway) and apears desperate for a bit of free reigning. Have to settle for a while first though. Having seen him 3 different times in the store in the same position each time with souless eyes and a thoroughy miserable expression he is now bright and alive and ful of beans. Sooo glad i went back for him. Just to worknon the sicial side now but hey ho he will be what he will be and will be loved either way gnasher ir not!!

Back