• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in small cages on Come Dine with Me :(

Just watching cdwm on channel 4 and the young couple have 2 rabbits kept separately in 2 small cages.

Makes me so sad and angry [emoji35]

And she said one day she wants to take them for a walk! [emoji20] [emoji20] [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Things are gradually changing though. Although rabbits are the most misunderstood pet, I am noticing that there are less small hutches being sold in large pet shops, and the small ones are labelled for guinea pigs. The growth of the dog walking offers shows that people are realising more that you can't just buy a dog and stick it in the kitchen while you are out. It will happen too with rabbits, more people are keeping them in larger set ups. Of course there are still thousands in rescues and in danger, but I do believe that more people care now. All we need is an advertising campaign to educate people about rabbits. As well as the great work going on by the RWAF such as larger stores agreeing not to sell rabbits over the Easter weekend, and the checks they do on Gumtree for 'hobby breeders' etc.
Its a tough one, I have a friend who keeps her single rabbit in such a small hutch. He's very well cared for, goes out in a run most days etc. I've tactfully tried to show her second hand larger hutches etc, but we've almost fallen out. She thinks I'm militant (and I'm such a diplomat, she's never seen me anywhere near militant). So what to do? Concentrate on the things you can change. I did offer to adopt her rabbit but she says the children love him. So, nothing to be done.
There's another rabbit I've heard about who has matted fur and is only fed once every 2 days. so when I get back (im on holiday at the mo), I'm going to see about getting that one off her owner, (ill offer to buy her) and then finding a better home. One rabbit at a time. !

It is so hard seeing these sort of things - but as CometLucy195 says - things are slowly improving. I just wish people would do more up to date reading on rabbits and not just do as they did many years ago - that frustrates me. There is so much information out there now - ignorance is no excuse anymore.

My brother and SIL have 2 rabbits and they do look after them quite well - both spayed/neutered and get good food etc - but at night they are locked up in a tiny hutch. I have tried to explain that rabbits are quite active at night and it's a bit cruel to keep them locked up in something so small - but they make a noise at night apparently if they are not locked up:roll:. During the day they do have a very large pen to run around in and they only get locked up from about 11pm to 6am so it's not too bad - and they are inside so safe from predators. I keep trying to convince them to get a bigger hutch at least - one day perhaps.

while yes, bunnies in small cages is a bad thing, I think it also needs to be kept in mind do be not so quick to judge... i'm not saying that's happening here, and i do not agree with rabbits in small cages.

i've seen it a lot on instagram and facebook. one person was shredded so to speak as she posted a picture after her bunny had had a small wash. everybody jumped to her being a horrible owner and how it was disgusting to bathe them and how she was a terrible human/owner. but then nobody cared to read the rest about the owner rescuing the bunny and it having diarrhea, and it was a vets advice to wipe/bathe the back end while they treated it. if she left the bunny covered in poop she'd likely be just as attacked.

and then another thing i see is people taking pictures of something they disagree with, and posting it to their page saying how disgusting it is. basically taking somebodies own image and ripping the person down as they disagree.. can you imagine how people must feel? some are trying to do their best, had bunnies shoved onto them, had a change of plan, illness, but people do not care for that, they just care about what they see and not the story behind it.

i feel terrible, mine are in small cages. but currently i do not have another option. they did have a 180cm space to live in but fights broke out and all I can offer is a 100cm cage with playtime during the day. i know its not okay, and i do feel terrible about it. i often end up crying. but then its either that or i possibly ended up with a dead bunny, or serious injuries. so until I have more money, can rebond, or find another place to house them, this is my only option.

i just find it sad or upsetting when i see so many others attacking as they disagree with somebody using a particular harness, or what they did. sometimes people don't know any better as sometimes there isnt even clear information online.

tl;dr: its horrible to see bunnies in small cages and often angering, but sometimes there are reasons or explanations for it. no it doesn't make it okay, but some people like me are trying our best lol. and in the end it should be educate, not belittle (which i see so often :? )

Back