• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dandelion for pain relief.

james1982

New Kit
Hi everyone, unfortunately 1 of our rabbits has bowel cancer. He seems happy and comfortable at the moment but i was wondering if dandelions would help with any discomfort he may have. Thanks.

I'm really sorry to hear your news I'm not aware it's a pain reliever. I'm guessing you have pain relief such as metacam

I'm really sorry to hear your news I'm not aware it's a pain reliever. I'm guessing you have pain relief such as metacam
Hi, I read another post saying dandelion has mild pain relieving properties. At the moment he doesn't seem in pain but he has become quite and he tooth purrs quite a bit and I know this can be a symptom of discomfort. The vet has given him fibreplex to help with his diarrhoea but nothing else. I am seeing the vet tomorrow so I will explain to them his new symptoms and see what they suggest in regards to pain medication.

I've heard of mild pain relief from willow. Vibes for your rabbit, i hope the vet can get him more comfortable tomorrow

Are the rabbit savvy. Is he eating normally and toileting normally. Is he hunched up. Do you mean he is grinding his teeth as if he is he needs pain relief as will stop eating. They should definitely give you some to keep him pain free. Never heard of giving fibreplex for diarrhoea. If he has real diarrhoea he needs a lot more than that. Sorry I know you're doing all you can but I think your bunny offer more help. Hopefully they will sort him out tomorrow

I've heard of mild pain relief from willow. Vibes for your rabbit, i hope the vet can get him more comfortable tomorrow
This is right. Willow branches, the older the better. But the amount needed for any pain relief benefits are quite high.

Definitely discuss with your vet, a low dose of metacam should be a good starting point which can be increased as needed.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Hi, I read another post saying dandelion has mild pain relieving properties. At the moment he doesn't seem in pain but he has become quite and he tooth purrs quite a bit and I know this can be a symptom of discomfort. The vet has given him fibreplex to help with his diarrhoea but nothing else. I am seeing the vet tomorrow so I will explain to them his new symptoms and see what they suggest in regards to pain medication.

Hi James

Dandelion has diuretic properties, but if it has any pain relieving qualities they are fairly mild.

I have used alternative pain relief that contains other ingredients which work much better.

I'm glad you're seeing the vet tomorrow, and can discuss pain relief then :)

Back