• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is there such a thing as "Indoor" and "outdoo

sammy123

Young Bun
Can anyone please help me? I am due to pick up my baby rabbit (Brandy) from Critters Farm in 2 weeks, i have had to wait for her because she is still young, she will be 8 weeks when we get her. Though i have needed the time to get everything ready for her. I have been looking on all sorts of web-sites and reading lots of books, to make sure i have all the right knowledge before we get her. But i have stumbled on something that i could do with some advise on A few people have asked me if i have checked if she IS an indoor rabbit, well i'm non the wiser, at the moment she is living out side with her mom and sister in a hutch with a pen, i didn't know (If) there are different sorts of rabbits for Indoor or Outdoor? When we get Brandy is was intended that she will live inside, and now im worrying about where she should be? We have brought her a lovely hutch and would really like her to live indoors with us, she will have the run of the house when we are with her. It would be such a shame if this is the case, though i must say, i have been on lots of sites and haven't heard anything like this before. Can anyone help Thanks Sam, Anthony and Brandy xxx

hi there i'm new to all this too. in fact i don't have a bunny yet! i'm hoping to get a rescue bun/two.

rabbits are rabbits and can be housetrained.

from my knowledge the best scenario is an older neutered rabbit as babies take a lot of patience to litter train. then you've to get them neutered and go through a few more hurdles during this time.

there's loads of info about how to house train on the web, try these sites for starters...
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/hey.htm
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

oh and houseproofing the house is essential eg using cable protectors etc.

hope this helps and good luck with brandy!

juliex

Hi there

Its fine to have Brandy inside:) Its also ok to have a outside hutch too. I have 2 wonderful house buns which live in our living areas. On warm winters days and on hot summer days, they go outside where its cooler or nice and warm to get the goodness from the sun. So they get the best of both worlds:)

I think its better to get a young bun as a house bun as then they will get used to all the noises of inside and not panic as shy away at any noise :)

You will need to spend some time watching Brandy to see where Brandy goes toilet in the house and place the toilet box there. Someone here has a great idea using a toddlers blow up ring pool and letting them play in till they are big enough to roam the rooms :)

Also hide all cords, remotes and other bits and pieces !!

I`m sure your going to enjoy having your new baby around :)

bronie

Thanks Bronie,

Some great info there, :D i also have got Brancy a paddling pool for her to get used to first, before she's let loose in the house. i think i did pinch the idea of someone else in here. Great idea! do you know how much food i should give her, ive brought her a big pack of Hay ready for her, and some little packet treats, havent brought the pellet food yet though! just not sure how much i should be giving her each day, and if she hasn't finished whats in her dish, can you leave it for the next day???? So much to learn! :oops:
Sam

Breed? well i don't know and i've been asking this question myself.

I've heard that dutch and english make v good house buns... and lops can be at times stroppy.....?? I honestly don't know as i've not got any first hand experience.

i'll post a separate question to the forum and see what more experienced house bunny owners have to say

Juliex

From what I understand any bunny can be a house bunny. We've got 2 french lop house rabbits and they are completely different. Scrumpy is a great house rabbit, he's quiet, chilled out and uses his littertray religiously although he does have the occasional strop. Rosie on the other hand is lively, never sits still and will eat anything in sight - it's cost us a fortune replacing all the cables she's worked her way through - and we thought we'd bunny proofed the room!! :lol: However, Rosie is the friendlier of the two even though she gets up to more mischief than Scrumpy. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it seems to depend on the individual rather than the breed. Although some breeds may be better than others - I'm by no means an expert. :)

I have a french lop, aged 5 months. She was 10 weeks old when we got her and she has always used her litter tray with no probs.

That may change when she reaches " pubity " but so far we've had no teenage tantrums (now I 've said that she will) I will be getting her spayed at 6 months which should sort out any litter/behaviour problems if they happen -or not as all bunnies are different!

Bucks are generally friendlier I have found, but Blue is very friendly, french lops are supposed to be though, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

For any baby bunny you need to bunny proof and supervise -I cant take my eyes of Blue for a second, she can reach/jump somewhere new every day! I have to be there ready to distract her with something when she starts stripping the wallpaper!

Hi,

Any bunny can live indoor or outdoor. The choice is yours. I have two indoor rabbits, one is a dwarf lop. She has lived indoors all her life. My other rabbit is a netherland dwarf that we rescued. She used to be a garden rabbit with hardly any attention given to her, but since living in with us she has blossomed.

I think it's much better to have bunnies living inside, but only if you have the space. The reason I say this, is because rabbits are very social and love being around humans. Also, if you are around your bunny a lot then you'll see so many cute things!

Hope all goes well when you pick up your bunny :)

Back