• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Growth update - graphic images!!

ljlstevens

New Kit
So as some of you may be aware, my oldest bunny Blossom is on palliative care for the growth on her face. Due to her age/medical conditions we have opted not to operate until absolutely necessary.

My bunny savy vet has put her on two lots of antibiotics for two weeks, and a high dose of metacam to reduce any excess inflammation and for pain relief (she'll be on Metacam for the rest of her journey).

The fur in that area started to thin which was expected, but only the past 24 hours has it come out enough to see the skin clearly.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any soothing ointment I can put on it that won't irritate the area, and won't cause issues if she tries to clean/ingest the affected area.

She is due to go back to the vets for an update checkup once the antibiotics have finished which is several days away.

Pictures below:

555f6963942b6fcfbb50443a7c9541e0.jpg
696b69c409af8386f05acafa7da56aa8.jpg
c5923fab64ba255edf8f95ee434acb70.jpg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

There are a few things you could try - all the usual such as sudocrem, bepanthen (both in the baby section of supermarkets), savlon healing gel, etc

As she is outside and may be subject to flystrike - I would recommend one of the F10 preparations with insecticide - either the wound spray with insecticide, or the germicidal cream with insecticide. It is one of the few products that can be used on rabbit wounds anywhere on the body and will protect against flystrike. I used the spray on a rabbit with an open surgical wound from a jaw abscess. She was a fly magnet in summer but was very unhappy indoors, so this gave her a quality of life that she wouldn't have otherwise. It is toxic to cats - so make sure there is no possible contact.

http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-treatment-products.html

So as some of you may be aware, my oldest bunny Blossom is on palliative care for the growth on her face. Due to her age/medical conditions we have opted not to operate until absolutely necessary.

My bunny savy vet has put her on two lots of antibiotics for two weeks, and a high dose of metacam to reduce any excess inflammation and for pain relief (she'll be on Metacam for the rest of her journey).

The fur in that area started to thin which was expected, but only the past 24 hours has it come out enough to see the skin clearly.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any soothing ointment I can put on it that won't irritate the area, and won't cause issues if she tries to clean/ingest the affected area.

She is due to go back to the vets for an update checkup once the antibiotics have finished which is several days away.

Pictures below:

Poor little Bunster :cry: Personally I would not put anything onto the skin without first letting the Vet reassess it. Rabbits do tend to have very sensitive skin and sometimes putting creams/lotions on skin that is already inflamed can make matters worse. The systemic anti-inflammatory she is having should help to minimise the inflammation and any discomfort.

As Shimmer mentioned, it is important to be vigilant re Flystrike. Personally I would use Fly Screens over all of the accommodation, I am sure that you already clean the accommodation out daily, A* husbandry is very important to try to minimise the risk of Flystrike.

Is the mass an abscess ?

Pictures below:

Has the vet said what the growth on her face is?

I have used various creams - Flamazine, which is prescription only and others containing soothing ingredients. Vets often recommend Sudocrem.

There are several other good ones - PM me if you get stuck for something suitable.

Vibes for your little girl xx

Yes unfortunately the mass is an abscess. Teeth related issues have been ruled out with x-rays thankfully. They can operate, but she has other medical conditions, a ruptured tear duct which always goes bad during stress, and she'd be left with an open hole in her cheek that would need flushing daily etc so we want to leave it be unless we need to take action.

Yes unfortunately the mass is an abscess. Teeth related issues have been ruled out with x-rays thankfully. They can operate, but she has other medical conditions, a ruptured tear duct which always goes bad during stress, and she'd be left with an open hole in her cheek that would need flushing daily etc so we want to leave it be unless we need to take action.

Poor Bun :cry:

I know, not a nice situation for her. But she's got a good quality of life ahead of her despite the issues and the fees involved!

It did look like an abscess to me :(

Sorry about your lovely bun x

It's really frustrating and upsetting, more so since the fur in that area has come out. But so long as she is happy, healthy and comfortable, I don't have much to complain about. Her welfare is most important :)

It's really frustrating and upsetting, more so since the fur in that area has come out. But so long as she is happy, healthy and comfortable, I don't have much to complain about. Her welfare is most important :)

She is clearly well loved and cared for. She is lucky in that respect.

It's easier for her, as she doesn't know that there is anything terrible about her condition. It's much harder for the care giver.

I hope you can keep positive too.

Is she currently leaving it alone? Putting anything on her face could result in her wanting to wash excessively or scratching.
If you decide to use something you may want to try something that can be removed with water rather than something with an oily or greasy base.

I had 2 rabbits operated on for advanced jaw abscesses. The hole through the cheek was more of an issue for me than the rabbits. It didn't bother them particularly, but it took me a few days to get used to just the thought of it, then being able to clean it out. They also had injectable penicillin daily and metacam orally. Once you get over the squeamish bit, it's quite manageable. Neither of them looked like your photo, though. Have other skin issues been ruled out? It looks very ulcerated.

Well, the abscess burst today so the antibiotics which were due to finish today will continue for another week. Saline fluid and medical grade manuka honey dressings etc are all being sorted today. Poor poor was covered in pus. Had to comb out the worst of it and shower the area to clean most off. Then had to gently massage the contents out and flush it with saline. Vet is pleased it ruptured externally and not internally. So we need to keep it open, clean, and healthy to try let it heal :(

She is clearly well loved and cared for. She is lucky in that respect.

It's easier for her, as she doesn't know that there is anything terrible about her condition. It's much harder for the care giver.

I hope you can keep positive too.
Thank you, that's very sweet... Check out my update as my positivity is being tested today [emoji23]

Aww bless, better out than in. I hope you can clear all the infection & it heals well after that. Vibes for your bun, you (& your nose -they are pretty stinky aren't they)

Aww bless, better out than in. I hope you can clear all the infection & it heals well after that. Vibes for your bun, you (& your nose -they are pretty stinky aren't they)
It was vile smelling [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] It almost sticky in consistency so it kept catching on her fur and not washing away properly, so it got in my nails and everything. After I massaged the worst of it out and flushed it, I put her away and washed the shower down with hot water..... That did NOT help the smell and made me want to vomit [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Last edited:
Is she currently leaving it alone? Putting anything on her face could result in her wanting to wash excessively or scratching.
If you decide to use something you may want to try something that can be removed with water rather than something with an oily or greasy base.
She doesn't seem bothered by it and doesn't get irritated by the abscess from what I've noticed, but, it may explain the fur loss (or maybe a contribution to fur loss) ... And it may be why it ruptured today. Either way care has now changed slightly due to this. The skin is quite loose there now and doesn't look as sore or strained

Thank you, that's very sweet... Check out my update as my positivity is being tested today [emoji23]

Your poor little darling :love:

Pus is better out than in, so it's really good it's burst and you can now clean it out.

I have had great success with injectable penicillin for rabbit abscesses ... given over quite a long period of time.

Back