• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oil Based Fence Paint - Cuprinol Cladding & Fence

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Just got home to see hubby has painted the inside of our garden fence with what I think is a toxic oil based paint! Cuprinol cladding and fence paint. Oliver isn't a chewet and has never that I have seen nibbled the fence. How can I make the fence not toxic!! Is this stuff really bad ??

He is a chewer, or isn't?

My fences are painted with toxic stuff because we didn't notice until after put on.
Once dry it isn't too bad provided they don't ingest lots of the fence (as in a couple stomachfulls worth).

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

No not a chewer at all, in fact he only goes outside for about 20 mins and wants back in. How long should I keep him out of the garden for do u think ? If it rains will it not rum onto the grass ?? Maybe I should get some panels or something to go along the base?? I feel sick about this now :(

I'd say just keep him in for 24hrs to 48hrs then it should be fine. It shouldn't run off after 12hrs of applying.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Once it is dry, it will be fine. It just takes a bit longer to properly dry and the fumes to wear off. There shouldn't be any run off if it has been applied properly as it isn't water soluble. The fence will last longer as well.

The other thing to bear in mind is if the wood had been tannalised or had a similar preserving process. The chemicals used in these really are toxic - that's why they work - but rabbits don't normally actually eat the fencing.

Once it is dry, it will be fine. It just takes a bit longer to properly dry and the fumes to wear off. There shouldn't be any run off if it has been applied properly as it isn't water soluble. The fence will last longer as well.

The other thing to bear in mind is if the wood had been tannalised or had a similar preserving process. The chemicals used in these really are toxic - that's why they work - but rabbits don't normally actually eat the fencing.
This :)

Back