• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injection scab?

Limit

Warren Scout
So Monte has had quite a large scab from when the rspca gave him his microchip - I've had him for a month or so now and it is still there, not flaking, not going down.

He's completely fine with me touching it, pulling gently at it (wanted to see if it was attached or just floating there) and it doesn't bother him but it does bother me!

Any advice, is this normal for some bunnies to react and have a scab like this, I think I'm more concerned that it's not leaving. Should it be something I bring up to the vet? He has an appointment in 4 weeks time to see how the 6 week course of metacam has helped his leg (it's actually been about 10 weeks that he's had metacam with a two week break between the 4 and 6 week courses!). Honestly this boy has been in the wars, already a possibly fractured leg, snuffles and a great big scab from a micro chip!

So Monte has had quite a large scab from when the rspca gave him his microchip - I've had him for a month or so now and it is still there, not flaking, not going down.

He's completely fine with me touching it, pulling gently at it (wanted to see if it was attached or just floating there) and it doesn't bother him but it does bother me!

Any advice, is this normal for some bunnies to react and have a scab like this, I think I'm more concerned that it's not leaving. Should it be something I bring up to the vet? He has an appointment in 4 weeks time to see how the 6 week course of metacam has helped his leg (it's actually been about 10 weeks that he's had metacam with a two week break between the 4 and 6 week courses!). Honestly this boy has been in the wars, already a possibly fractured leg, snuffles and a great big scab from a micro chip!

I have never had any of my Rabbits microchipped so I do not know. But I had my Puppy chipped and there was no swelling at all. I would definitely mention it to your Vet :)

I have never had any of my Rabbits microchipped so I do not know. But I had my Puppy chipped and there was no swelling at all. I would definitely mention it to your Vet :)

Will do and I've got both mine micro chipped, not done or paid by me though, Binky never had any swelling or scabbing. None of my previous bunnies have had them though, almost doesn't seem right to have them chipped! :) I'll mention it, see what she says, will most likely be the case of monitoring it though. Thank you! x

It's not usual, but it can happen. I would ring your vet, let them know what's happened, and discuss what happens next.

I've had this type of thing before, and in the end I had to resort to 'alternative medication' to get rid of it!

Will do and I've got both mine micro chipped, not done or paid by me though, Binky never had any swelling or scabbing. None of my previous bunnies have had them though, almost doesn't seem right to have them chipped! :) I'll mention it, see what she says, will most likely be the case of monitoring it though. Thank you! x

S' OK :)

Yes, I opted not to have my Rabbits chipped and I only had my Puppy done because it is now illegal not to do so. I really do not like the idea of it at all, but that is probably just my general neurosis !

Some rescues do it as a matter of course :D

Back