• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frequency of injections?

Peppermint

New Kit
Hi,

just want to check some conflicting advice given by two different vets.

We have two house bunnies, so isn't too much risk of exposure (we hope). We were originally told Mixi jab was annual and cylap jab was six-monthly.

Today I was told that Cylap was annual and mixi was six-monthly, but could be made annual if there wasn't too much risk.

Can anyone clarify what the real situation is?

Cheers

Hi there - my understanding is that the vaccination for myxi is every six months, and the one for VHD is once a year. That's when Rob get's his anyway. Hopefully someone else can confirm this :)

Myxy can be given either annually or six monthly. If you live in a high risk area then its given sixth monthly to ensure the protection is at full strength all year round.

I've only ever heard of the VHD vacc being given annually but I haven't heard it can't be given more frequently either.

The best people to talk to are the vaccine manufacturuers as they can give you the official answer :D

Tam

Tamsin said:
Myxy can be given either annually or six monthly. If you live in a high risk area then its given sixth monthly to ensure the protection is at full strength all year round.

Tam

Tamsin I have heard that the latest is that bunnies should have Myxomatosis twice yearly.
All bunnies are at risk, because even if you go out walking in the Countryside (or have a dog or cat) and your rabbit is inside all year round, you still risk bringing a flea home that may be carrying the disease.
Secondly Mosquitos carry disease into your home, so House Rabbits are at risk all the time...from several sources.
All our 26 Sanctuary Bunnies are vaccinated every six months against Myxomatosis (one Vet said yearly, another twice yearly, so we have been there and worn the T shirt... :? )...in the end, we decided to play safe when a house rabbit got myxomatosis a few years ago...the only culprit must have been a flea :shock: or mosquito....and Teagan was vaccinated once a year, but still got myxo, badly.....
We know it is safe to vaccinate every six months against Myxomatosis, so prefer to take no chances with our wonderful and totally adored bunnies.
VHD (Cylap) only needs to be done once a year.

Every Vet will probably have a different perspective though, so this is why as Tamsin said, it is best to go DIRECT to the Vaccine Manufacturers if possible, as I have done in the past. :D
My perspective is that I would rather give the bunnies as much protection as possible against these deadly illnesses, House Rabbits or not (and we have both indoor and outdoor bunnies here)...the other problem is say for example this year has been very wet, and the mosquitos have loved the weather conditions...more mosquitos more risks, so it only takes one variable for info. originally given about myxo.vaccination frequency to change , and your bunny may suddenly be at more risk than previously considered.
I suppose you either play really safe, or just go with things and vaccine twice yearly in a more risky area.....but all areas and environments are risky, just of varying degrees.

Yes, I agree house rabbits are as at risk as outdoor bunnies because its carried by mozzies/fleas and they can get inside.

By high/low risk area I meant geographical location. For example inner city london doesn't have the wild rabbit population to harbour myxy so buns are less likely to catch it than those living within a few miles of wild bunnies.

There is no downside to 6 monthly instead of annually though so you might as well, as Adele says, play it safe :D

Tam

Tamsin said:
By high/low risk area I meant geographical location. For example inner city london doesn't have the wild rabbit population to harbour myxy so buns are less likely to catch it than those living within a few miles of wild bunnies.

Tam

Thats a good point Tamsin, so you need to take several factors into consideration before making the right decision for you. :D

Helloooo
It really depends on where you are and what the circumstances with myxi are in your area. Remember bunnies do not have to come in direct contact with another myxi rabbit to catch myxi, so house rabbits can still be at risk, as outdoor rabbits, but this maybe minimilised.

The recommended is every six months as the vaccine become weak at 9months, twice a year is a nice top up. VHD I would vaccinate twice a year just as a matter of course and because it is a air-bourne virus.

But, lets not panic here, if you can't do twice yearly for financial reasons or whatever, other precautions against insects can be taken and a once yearly vaccination does provide protection for the majority of the time.

So, summary, twice yearly best, once yearly will still provide protection.

annie

My vet says twice a year for both, i know i live in a very low risk area but a couple of years back i lost 3 buns to mixi, and im 3 miles from the centre of london. There are other precautions you can take during the warmer months they are: rear guard zentex lavender oil oil of cloves and garlic these all detere incects. val

my rabbit gets his myxi twice a year and the vhd once a year . he never used to but there was an outbreak in our area last year and also with me and my fiance living on a farm " yup , he,s a farmer" then we have to ensure that cheeky is totally covered because of the wild rabbits . He is a house rabbit but goes out in to the garden which is walled for his safety , none the less , we are still in a high risk area . My vet said that he would never recommend the vhd twice a year but every vet appears to have different methods "which can be a bit worrying " .

Just to add that my house rabbit william has myxi at the minute so house rabbits are at risk also ,i dont have wild rabbits near me william must of caught it off a flea from my puppy..all mine will be done twice a year now.

the myxi virus can be transmitted via the common house fly so regardless if they are indoors or out , the risk is still there . I hope William will be ok . I,ll be thinking of you and him . let us know how he gets on . :(

When we took our two to vacinated our vets told us that VHD is fine at yearly intervals, but as I live on the outskirts of a town and the country side just starts less than a 2 minutes walk away we were told we lived in a high risk area and that Myxi vacinations would be required 6 monthly.

So in november they are both having their jabs again.

I wouldn't risk their lives without vacinations.

My two are done once a year for both Mxyi and VHD. I'm going to start running Homeopathic treatment along side this as I can ill afford twice yearly vaccinations with four Rabbit's.

Louise

We're probably in a high risk area (very close to the New Forest) and were told twice a year for the Myxi jab, and once a year for the VHD.

Branwen is going to have her next myxi jab soon, not sure about Casey.

Well, I took them both back for their 6 monthly mixi jab on Sunday. Must say the vet seemed to know what he was doing. Unfortunately, not too mnay of the Pets At Home surgery's vets give me that impression that they're clued up on rabbits.

However, he reckons they're both a little bit overweight, which surprised me. I did weigh them and Benny was 4.9 kgs in his carry case, and Peppermint was 4.2 kgs in hers.

Advised us to cut down on the veg and ween them onto hay more.

Are farm bought bales of hay fine for bunnies, or do we really need to get the bagged stuff at extortionate prices?

Are they eating pellets? You should cut down on those not veggies first.

The farm hay tends to be nicer than the bagged stuff. Look for green, nice smellying, non dusty hay and not sliced into little pieces :D

Tam

Back