• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Using Stonghold (Revolution) on older rabbits?

jerseygirl

Warren Scout
Does anyone know of any precaution in using Selamectin (aka Stronghold/Revolution) on elderly rabbits?

I was going to use it on all my rabbits as an added preventative when the new calici virus was released here in Australia. But my 10yr old lop didn't do so well after his RHDV vaccination (Cylap :cry:) a few weeks ago and I'm a bit tentative about using anything else on him now. My other rabbits are all over 5 years of age too.

TIA!

Does anyone know of any precaution in using Selamectin (aka Stronghold/Revolution) on elderly rabbits?

I was going to use it on all my rabbits as an added preventative when the new calici virus was released here in Australia. But my 10yr old lop didn't do so well after his RHDV vaccination (Cylap :cry:) a few weeks ago and I'm a bit tentative about using anything else on him now. My other rabbits are all over 5 years of age too.

TIA!

I have not had any first hand experience of using it, but just because the Cylap caused nasty side-effects I dont think it means that a topical parasiticide and anthelminthic would do too. Cylap used to be used here in the UK and many, many people had Rabbits who reacted badly to it, regardless of the age of the Rabbit. I think in your situation I would feel that the benefits of using Selamectin outweigh any risks. But that is just my personal opinion,

TIA!

I believe it's well tolerated in rabbits. A higher dose is needed to combat fleas, but I guess that wouldn't be needed in your case?

Rabbits over 5 years I don't class as old. A rabbit over 10 years with possible health problems, I personally wouldn't use any treatment like that on. But maybe your rabbits are stinkingly healthy :)

They don't go outdoors anymore so I probably don't need to do Revolution.. But I did have one with fur mite (though his bond mate didn't get it) and they are in same room as my other pair, though separated. The boy who had mites may have picked it up at the vets. Or he had low population all along and it flared up. His immune system is somewhat challenged.

I think the post-vaccination blues for my oldest bun was just an eye opener for me, really. Some of them (him included) have seemed a bit off the next day in the past, but this time around he took longer to recover.

But regarding Revolution, I guess I'd like peace of mind for if I do need to use it in the future.

I' ve been using Stronghold on my bunny once a month for 3 years now, since he was 6 months old. It never caused any problems, but our vet adapted the dose while he was gaining weight. I believe your vet knows best:)

Back