• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any recommendations for large pet carriers?

echolouise

Young Bun
We currently use one of those fold up canvas carriers to transport our giant to the vets. We have a plastic catit cabrio carrier for when he's not coming with us and I really like it, unfortunately he doesn't fit inside.
Last week at the vets we were in a waiting room for over an hour with 9 dogs and I could hear him inside trying to rip the thing to shreds to escape.
Our vets has no onsite parking and I am usually alone for vets visits. Usually I have to park at least 3 streets away and carry him across a main road, the current box is 100cm long and when he's in it weighs a ton.
I don't mind the size so much as it gives us the option to transport multiple rabbits together and means his ears aren't squashed and he can move around inside if we have a long wait.

Was in p@h to check out their dog carriers but was shocked at how flimsy the carrying handles are on the rather over priced ones they stock.
Does anyone know of a hard sided large or extra large carrier with a sturdy construction (preferably with wheels)?
Failing that can anyone recommend a trolley platform with a handle that I could strap a carrier onto that doesn't look like a baby's Pram?

I have a ferplast atlas mini, that is very sturdy, I bought it some years ago when I had a quad of bunnies, all 1.5 - 2kg. No wheels on it but handles on each end mean it's easy to carry :thumb:

I have a ferplast atlas mini, that is very sturdy, I bought it some years ago when I had a quad of bunnies, all 1.5 - 2kg. No wheels on it but handles on each end mean it's easy to carry :thumb:

Just checked it out online. The built in handles are exactly what we are looking for construction wise. The size and price are perfect.
How do you get on with the sliding doors? Have only ever used carriers with top opening options, is it easy enough to get a stubborn bunny out?
How easy is it to clean?
Thanks, Elouise

Just checked it out online. The built in handles are exactly what we are looking for construction wise. The size and price are perfect.
How do you get on with the sliding doors? Have only ever used carriers with top opening options, is it easy enough to get a stubborn bunny out?
How easy is it to clean?
Thanks, Elouise
I got mine from Zooplus, it was cheaper there at the time but it was several years ago. It is very sturdy. The sliding doors are good, I managed several vet visits with my quad of virtually unhandleable rabbits ok, the doors will go to either side :thumb: it is easy to clean, you can unscrew 4 screws to then unclip top from bottom. There is a removable tray in the bottom with drainage holes, I put some newspaper on top and then a piece of vetbed type stuff on top of that.

Hello. We have the ferplast atlas 40 dog carrier with wheels (brought for a large cat who hated smaller carriers) and find our 3 rabbits have lots of space inside (the combined weight of them means its fairly heavy though)
It's great using the wheels on a completely smooth surface but I do carry it over any uneven ground as even a normal pavement feels too bumpy for them. I think it's meant for taking pets on an aeroplane.
You can unclip and lift the top section off and leave the door in place so the bunnies do all stay put during vet checkups.
It feels like it should have a stronger handle, although it's not been a problem yet and survives 3 bunnies or two cats. Easy to clean too. I put in lots of newspaper and basil spends his waiting room time ripping it all up! :)

Hello. We have the ferplast atlas 40 dog carrier with wheels (brought for a large cat who hated smaller carriers) and find our 3 rabbits have lots of space inside (the combined weight of them means its fairly heavy though)
It's great using the wheels on a completely smooth surface but I do carry it over any uneven ground as even a normal pavement feels too bumpy for them. I think it's meant for taking pets on an aeroplane.
You can unclip and lift the top section off and leave the door in place so the bunnies do all stay put during vet checkups.
It feels like it should have a stronger handle, although it's not been a problem yet and survives 3 bunnies or two cats. Easy to clean too. I put in lots of newspaper and basil spends his waiting room time ripping it all up! :)

Think that might be the a smaller version of the one I looked at in p@h. The smaller size looked good but it had the same top handle on the dog sized ones which concerned me a little.
Earnest is a big boy at 8.5kg and he's not even overweight, effie is 1.8kg and we are hopefully about to introduce a pair of boys to them soon so I was a bit worried about the strain that would be put on the little handle if we had them all in at once. Even if it were just the 2 of them it's still a lot of weight lol.

Aw, they sound great :-D

I think you're right to be concerned. I do feel it should have handles built into the box itself.

I think if I had to take them a long way I'd put the carrier onto an old pram frame and make my own transport, lol. But then I am quite strange and there's probably a better solution ready made. I like the look of festival trolleys :)

Back