• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dragging hind-legs, advise please?

Hi All,

Story so far: About 23:00 Saturday evening, I was playing with our 2 mini-lops (Buddy and Blue - both around 9 months old). They stay in their cage/pen over-night, so I had popped them in to take the rubbish out, only to come back in and my girlfriend say, that she had just found Blue on his back, 4 legs up in the air. She had seen him about 1 minute before and he was eating his hay. She had startled him, coming back into the room and he flipped back over. I went over to see him and straight away could tell he wasn't right. Seemed all limp and perhaps in a little bit of shock. We were at the emergency vets within about 30 minutes and he seemed ok. He was moving around on the floor, there was a tiny amount of him dragging his one leg, but barely noticeable. Me and my girlfriend could tell, but the vet questioned whether his movement was different to usual. Initially she thought he might've been having some of a seizure and mentioned e-cunicculi, prescribed him Panacur (and also for Buddy). However, we also questioned whether he could've perhaps tried to jump out of the cage and landed on his back. especially as he was showing small signs of pain (grinding his teeth) and also, the fact that he reacted so quickly to my girlfriend coming in the room. So he had a pain relief injection too.

9am Sunday morning, his back legs were struggling, so we went back to the emergency vets. We put him on the floor and he was in hell of a state. Really struggling to use his legs at all and dragging them behind him. This vet thought it was probably more of a back-injury, so said they could do x-ray's etc. We agreed for them to be done immediately and they kept him in. There was no sign of any damage to his back or legs, the pathway for the spinal cord was without obstruction. Vet mentioned that this was good news and was likely just to be swelling in his back that was putting pressure on certain muscles, which was causing the issue. Prescribed more Metacam to take away with us for the inflammation and instruction to book with out vets on Monday.

Went to our vets on Monday, I could see a tiny bit of an improvement, but both back legs were still being dragged. This vet who was more Rabbit-savvy (we have seen her before), went back to the opinion that it is more likely to be e-cunicculi and we should continue with both the Panacur and the Metacam. She said everything on the x-ray looked perfect. She then said if we wanted further investigation we could take him over to a Referrals clinic in Bristol who could MRI/CT scan him, etc and fully get down to what the issue is. Obviously, I agreed; I presume the insurance would cover it, but financially we're ok and me and girlfriend had already had a conversation about giving him whatever chance he needed no matter the cost. They said the referral company would be in touch.

Yesterday morning, I noticed that there was an improvement and whilst he was struggling in the cage on the slippy surface (he was using his legs but going backwards rather than forward as he couldn't get this grip!!) he was much more at ease on the rug/carpet. Last night, he went hopping off away from me whilst I tried to get him to take his Panacur and was much more active in terms of movement, still struggling a little but using his legs rather than just dragging them behind him. There was further improvement again this morning and he stood on his back legs to climb up me when he wanted some more Metacam (I think it's his favourite treat!!!! :lol:). He's still has a long way to go before he is anywhere near how he was, but he's gone from not using his legs, to using them again; quite quickly! So, we're pleased with his progress.

I've now heard from the referrals clinic in Bristol and have an appointment for Friday afternoon. I really don't know what to do. It's going to be potentially 90 minutes in the car each way, which will probably stress him out, but if there's something they can do to help him then obviously we're willing to give him whatever it is he needs.

Has anyone had any experience of swelling/bruising around the back/spine, or e-cunicculi; which has seen things start improving so quickly.

In terms of his general health, we've not had any problems with him. He's strong, eats well and whilst can have softer droppings on the odd-occasion, that is usually dietary. Since Saturday evening, his appetite has been good. He's eaten slightly less than usual (seems to be eating more hay than usual, but think that's just because it's easier for him), droppings have been a bit smaller than usual but are solid. He's relatively happy and content in himself, happily licks his brother and also lies down flat for him to return the favour. His movement is increasing on a daily basis, Sunday he just sat still in his litter tray and wouldn't move a lot, but as just mentioned is now lying down in the cage and generally trying to move around a lot more.

Does anyone have any observations/comments?!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Personally, I would continue with the treatment for EC (ie 28 days of panacur to reduce the parasitic infection, and metacam to relieve the symptoms caused by the parasite). You have done all the right things. Something seems to be working, so I would hold off with any further scans for now - you can always reconsider later. You have had x-rays to eliminate any obvious skeletal damage. The symptoms are common to EC, but are not exclusive to the condition. Sometimes a vet will also prescribe an antibiotic (eg Baytril) to cover for conditions such as ear infections which can cause balance issues - as a combination, it provides a blanket approach for a range of conditions which can be difficult to specifically pin down in rabbits.

You can get a blood test to check for the levels of EC. Many rabbits have been exposed to the parasite, but you can check the levels over a period of time to determine if there is / was an active infection.

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/blood-testing-for-e-cuniculi-in-rabbits/

EC treatment also requires a full and deep clean of the rabbit's environment on days 21 and 28 of the panacur course. This effectively means bleaching or steam cleaning anything they have had contact with. The parasite is shed in urine, so this is to break the cycle of re-infection at key points in the lifecycle.

There is lots of information online, and quite a bit on here if you use the search facility. For starters:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm
http://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

Hi All,

Story so far: About 23:00 Saturday evening, I was playing with our 2 mini-lops (Buddy and Blue - both around 9 months old). They stay in their cage/pen over-night, so I had popped them in to take the rubbish out, only to come back in and my girlfriend say, that she had just found Blue on his back, 4 legs up in the air. She had seen him about 1 minute before and he was eating his hay. She had startled him, coming back into the room and he flipped back over. I went over to see him and straight away could tell he wasn't right. Seemed all limp and perhaps in a little bit of shock. We were at the emergency vets within about 30 minutes and he seemed ok. He was moving around on the floor, there was a tiny amount of him dragging his one leg, but barely noticeable. Me and my girlfriend could tell, but the vet questioned whether his movement was different to usual. Initially she thought he might've been having some of a seizure and mentioned e-cunicculi, prescribed him Panacur (and also for Buddy). However, we also questioned whether he could've perhaps tried to jump out of the cage and landed on his back. especially as he was showing small signs of pain (grinding his teeth) and also, the fact that he reacted so quickly to my girlfriend coming in the room. So he had a pain relief injection too.

9am Sunday morning, his back legs were struggling, so we went back to the emergency vets. We put him on the floor and he was in hell of a state. Really struggling to use his legs at all and dragging them behind him. This vet thought it was probably more of a back-injury, so said they could do x-ray's etc. We agreed for them to be done immediately and they kept him in. There was no sign of any damage to his back or legs, the pathway for the spinal cord was without obstruction. Vet mentioned that this was good news and was likely just to be swelling in his back that was putting pressure on certain muscles, which was causing the issue. Prescribed more Metacam to take away with us for the inflammation and instruction to book with out vets on Monday.

Went to our vets on Monday, I could see a tiny bit of an improvement, but both back legs were still being dragged. This vet who was more Rabbit-savvy (we have seen her before), went back to the opinion that it is more likely to be e-cunicculi and we should continue with both the Panacur and the Metacam. She said everything on the x-ray looked perfect. She then said if we wanted further investigation we could take him over to a Referrals clinic in Bristol who could MRI/CT scan him, etc and fully get down to what the issue is. Obviously, I agreed; I presume the insurance would cover it, but financially we're ok and me and girlfriend had already had a conversation about giving him whatever chance he needed no matter the cost. They said the referral company would be in touch.

Yesterday morning, I noticed that there was an improvement and whilst he was struggling in the cage on the slippy surface (he was using his legs but going backwards rather than forward as he couldn't get this grip!!) he was much more at ease on the rug/carpet. Last night, he went hopping off away from me whilst I tried to get him to take his Panacur and was much more active in terms of movement, still struggling a little but using his legs rather than just dragging them behind him. There was further improvement again this morning and he stood on his back legs to climb up me when he wanted some more Metacam (I think it's his favourite treat!!!! :lol:). He's still has a long way to go before he is anywhere near how he was, but he's gone from not using his legs, to using them again; quite quickly! So, we're pleased with his progress.

I've now heard from the referrals clinic in Bristol and have an appointment for Friday afternoon. I really don't know what to do. It's going to be potentially 90 minutes in the car each way, which will probably stress him out, but if there's something they can do to help him then obviously we're willing to give him whatever it is he needs.

Has anyone had any experience of swelling/bruising around the back/spine, or e-cunicculi; which has seen things start improving so quickly.

In terms of his general health, we've not had any problems with him. He's strong, eats well and whilst can have softer droppings on the odd-occasion, that is usually dietary. Since Saturday evening, his appetite has been good. He's eaten slightly less than usual (seems to be eating more hay than usual, but think that's just because it's easier for him), droppings have been a bit smaller than usual but are solid. He's relatively happy and content in himself, happily licks his brother and also lies down flat for him to return the favour. His movement is increasing on a daily basis, Sunday he just sat still in his litter tray and wouldn't move a lot, but as just mentioned is now lying down in the cage and generally trying to move around a lot more.

Thanks in advance,

In addition to Shimmer's advice regarding the possibility of EC and continuing the Panacur treatment I have know of a Rabbit who suffered a back injury involving soft tissue damage that caused temporary paralysis. It took several months of ongoing treatment (anti-inflammatories, physiotherapy, acupuncture, help with keeping himself clean and with expressing his bladder) but he made a full recovery in the end x

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Hi Daniel and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. It's certainly worrying when this kind of thing happens.

If it was EC (which somehow I don't think it is) then you may see signs of it improving this quickly. It's not the norm, but has happened before in my experience.

If you have Panacur and Metacam, then I would continue using them, and restricting his movement somewhat to make sure any inflammation can get better. I personally would give it a few more days before launching into further diagnostics.

As you can see from the link to the article below, there can be many causes of a rabbit dragging their back legs:

http://rabbit.org/hind-limb-weakness-in-the-rabbit/

And this one here:

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_rb_vertebral_fracture_luxation

Good luck xx

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

We came home from work to find him fast-asleep, legs kicked out. Got up without much of a fuss and his movement has again improved since this morning. He's now moving around even on the cage floor with relative ease. We also had a 20 minute fight with him over taking his Panacur, before he gave up and just opened his mouth and let us put it in!!

We're trying to keep him restrained to the cage at the moment, but yeah really pleased how things have going.

I'll report back again, over next few days.

Thanks again

Hi,

We came home from work to find him fast-asleep, legs kicked out. Got up without much of a fuss and his movement has again improved since this morning. He's now moving around even on the cage floor with relative ease. We also had a 20 minute fight with him over taking his Panacur, before he gave up and just opened his mouth and let us put it in!!

We're trying to keep him restrained to the cage at the moment, but yeah really pleased how things have going.

Thanks again

Awww thanks for posting!

I'm so glad he's doing even better than this morning.

Vibes for him and for you, and look forward to the update in a few days time :D

Hi,

Thanks again

I hope the significant improvement continues for him and that he'll soon be hopping about as normal xx

Hi All,

Quick update. He's pretty much back to full-fitness! His movement is pretty much 100%, using both legs and standing upwards on them also. Droppings have gone back to usual too.

We'll keep an eye on him still and go with the full course of Panacur for him and Buddy. Will also continue with the Metacam, for another view days. Should we let him take the whole bottle, or just stop when he seems comfortable?

To see the state he was in on Sunday morning and then comparing him now, is quite remarkable!!!

Cheers,

Dan

Hi All,

Quick update. He's pretty much back to full-fitness! His movement is pretty much 100%, using both legs and standing upwards on them also. Droppings have gone back to usual too.

We'll keep an eye on him still and go with the full course of Panacur for him and Buddy. Will also continue with the Metacam, for another view days. Should we let him take the whole bottle, or just stop when he seems comfortable?

To see the state he was in on Sunday morning and then comparing him now, is quite remarkable!!!

Cheers,

Dan

This is a fantastic update :D I would give the Vet a call to ask about how long you should continue to administer the Metacam. Metacam is a prescription only medication and none of us on here are qualified to advise you about it's use for Blue.:)

Lets hope that Blue does not get himself into any more trouble any time soon !

Hi All,

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Daniel

Thank you for updating. Yes the full 28 days course of Panacur for both, and if you can, steam clean (or bleach) the litter trays and living area on days 21 and 28 of treatment to ensure you break the life cycle of the parasite.

Regarding the Metacam - give your vet a call (you don't need to go in). They will advise you when it's good to stop it

Good luck! :)

Thanks both - I'm sure he will give us something else to worry about at some point. He's quite stubborn, boisterous and isn't really bothered by very much; which probably helped him as he just kept carrying on as usual with food etc. Buddy is much more shy and timid, so not sure he would recover just as quick!

I'll be sure to speak to the vets to ask about the Metacam.

More convinced than ever that he did this to himself by falling and causing some sort of soft tissue damage - Whenever they're in the cage, the lid now remains shut as precaution!!!

Thanks both - I'm sure he will give us something else to worry about at some point. He's quite stubborn, boisterous and isn't really bothered by very much; which probably helped him as he just kept carrying on as usual with food etc. Buddy is much more shy and timid, so not sure he would recover just as quick!

More convinced than ever that he did this to himself by falling and causing some sort of soft tissue damage - Whenever they're in the cage, the lid now remains shut as precaution!!!

Probably a good idea, even if the Rabbits do give you 'the look' for being so mean :lol:

You're welcome :)

It did sound a bit like an injury. Best vibes for recovery!

Back