• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding problems

I could really use some help.

A coupe of days ago I brought home a friend for my female lop Lilo (who is 4 months old). The new rabbit Grub is 8 weeks. Now they live next to each other in separate pens. She is unaltered (medical reasons), but I'm having him neutered as soon as possible.

What now?? Can I start the bonding process now or should I wait until he is neutered? What should I expect?

Anna

wait until he is neuterd and six weeks or more after that other wise you will end up with babies.

Males can be neutered at 16 weeks (4 months) old and females from 6 months old. One or both need to be neutered before you can start introductions :)

Tam

I would wait till he is neutered for an easier life, for the bunnies and you, less likely for there to be confrontations.

I agree
Casey hasn't been neutred yet (we'll book him in tomorrow) and at the first whif of Branwen promptly sprayed everywhere. :lol: really not good.

And I'd be really careful to make sure you don't end up with more bunnies.

For now read up on bonding and just let them see each other. That's what I'm doing right now.

Hi again,
They are now known as Dru and Spike, don't ask me why :D (see introductions). Used my boyfriends user Blarg by mistake when posting the introduction :?
Spike was neutered a couple of days ago, but he's doing great.

Dru was going to have her spay about a month ago, but the day before she stopped eating. We rushed her to the vets and they said her chances were slim to none (stasis). I called in sick the next day and kept her warm and tried tempting her with fresh herbs and fruit. It took forever but she finally started eating again.

She's doing better now on lots of veggies less dried food (about 1 tablespoon a day).

They haven't met yet, their first date will be sometime in January :D How long should I wait (she’s not spayed yet)? I’ve heard everything from 2-10 weeks.

/Anna

I would personally wait until both are in tip top health, I really don't see the point in rushing it and it is very stressful (for you if not the buns as well). I can't imagine what state I'd be in worrying about statis and bonding at the same time.... jeez. Good luck whatever you decide.

I think I agree with Jill there, bonding can bring on stress. So long as they can see each but can't get at each other, that always helps in the long term.

Thanks for the advice.

I think they are half bonded already. Both their cages and runs are next to each other so they have had a lot of time getting to know one another. They always take their naps side by side (in separate cages of course) and eat at the same time. As soon as one of them jumps in the hay tub, the other does it too. :) Also, Spike grooms her all the time through the bars. That must be a good sign?!

When Spike was away at the vets Dru looked for him and became very worried when she couldn’t find him. You should have seen how happy she was getting him back. She even gave him a few licks. For her that’s a big thing!

But I am going to wait at least 1 month to be sure.

/Anna

Well you never know, but I'm feeling optimistic :D

btw lynda, our next bun will be called (De)monica, love the name!!!

Hope my OH doesn't read this, I promised him no more than two rabbits.. Well first it was "just the one", but.. :lol:

Back