• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Millies spay tomorrow

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Hi every bun,

I'm feeling really anxious about millies op I'm the morning. I have never had a girl bunny so I don't really know what to expect xx

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Good luck for Millie tomorrow, I think it's a lot more routine op these days. Make sure your vet gives you some painkiller to use at home. If Millie is an outdoor bun, it might be a good idea to keep her indoors for a few days, to keep an eye her, and make sure she doesn't jump up on anything. A few tasty treats, such as fresh herbs, will tempt her to get her eating and pooping. I'm sure she'll be fine x

Hi every bun,

I'm feeling really anxious about millies op I'm the morning. I have never had a girl bunny so I don't really know what to expect xx

I think we all get anxious when our Bunnies have surgery. Your Vet should make sure that Millie is nibbling food, pooing and weeing before being discharged home. Millie should also be prescribed daily pain relief for up to 7 days post surgery. If she is an outdoor Rabbit she will need to be kept indoors for the first 24 hours after surgery. A place that is not unduly warm, but where you can monitor her and she wont be exposed to the overnight outdoor elements. She will need to be prevented from jumping up onto/down from things for about a week to allow internal healing to take place. The surgical wound will need checking 2-3 times a day. It should look clean and dry with little in the way of inflammation. Most Vets arrange a post op' check for 3-4 days after surgery, but if you were to have any concerns you should contact the Vet before then.

Most Does take about 48-72 hours to get fully back to normal. The most important thing is to look out for signs of GI tract slow down and/or infection in the surgical wound.

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Hi every bun,

Loobers :wave:

Good luck for Millie's spay tomorrow!

Your vet or the nurse will explain everything in detail I am sure, but my vet gives 3 days Metacam pain relief and then has a check up on that day (or sooner if there are concerns) and evaluates the wound and whether more pain relief is necessary. All vets work differently in this respect :)

When one of my does was spayed recently I checked her spay wound once a day, and I gave her a heat pad if she chose to lie on it. I restricted her jumping ability and she was inside the house.

She didn't want to eat for a couple of days, and I syringe fed her (on vet's instructions) a few hours after she came home.

Keep her warm and have some baby food and mashed up pellets, or Critical Care/Recovery on hand and she'll be fine :D

Some good info here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

I particularly like the bit that says 'Don't hover' :lol:

Good luck! xx

Sending loads of vibes for Millie tomorrow. And also sending hugs and thinking of you.

good luck! one thing I didn't see mentioned from a quick scan is, make sure she doesn't have any shavings in her cage. they can get stuck to the wound. pain meds are a must and make sure you have critical care handy in case she won't eat over night. I offered mine anything she wanted, veggies, herbs, if it got her to eat i was happy.

my doe went very very down hill after her spay but I put that down to her being a rescue and not having a great start to life if im honest. i'm sure she'll be fine :)

Good luck for tomorrow. It is a worrying time I know and it is difficult seeing them so sorry for themselves afterwards, but all ours have bounced back in a couple of days or so x

Vibes for tomorrow. My girls were done at 5 months (standard Rexes) and they were absolutely fine. Eating tempting treats by 1 am (they live in my room free range and I was listening out for their munches!) usually had free range but restricted this to aid healing, they were done together.
Vera was a little bumpfer mind and decided to lick her wound, so we had lots of post op checks and antibiotics. Vet advised cleaning twice a day with hibi, but after a week I switched to sterile salt water as the hibi was killing healthy skin cells too and making it a bit red. After a couple days with salt water we were absolutely fine. I made a body suit out of soft tube bandage for her to stop her licking, took a few goes to get the right size but it worked :) and she looked adorable! The whole time they were both happy as normal and scoffing everything in sight.
They were very quiet and sorry for themselves when they came home, and I felt sad for them, but they perked up over night after some peace and quiet.

I hope your spay goes well :)

Thank you everybun for your vibes and replys. At the moment, millie has a room to her self will Toby and I have no cage or pen available to restrict her moving? And also they have three litter trays of Hay that they use for the toilet. Is hay OK or what would you suggest that is cleaner? I have to travel today so am leaving in soon and will clean their room when they get back. I would feel more comfortable if millie had something on to cover it? Xx

When I had to have 2 girls spayed, I used newspaper in the litter tray, and put hay in a rack hung over it. To inspect wounds I held a treat up so they had to stretch up so that I could see it without handling them (they didn't like hands on care before the spay) I didn't cover the wound, some people have done and put on modified baby vests http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-shame-(question-post-13)&highlight=Spay+vest

Or you can buy this http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-fashion-police!-42/page5&highlight=Spay+vest

I wouldn't use a buster collar as they stop bunny eating cecals.

If you haven't got a puppy pen or dog crate to restrict movement as long as she doesn't have to do any stairs or ramps etc hopefully she should be fine, but I'd ask the vet .

Sending lots of vibes

Good luck today xxx

Honestly I wouldn't overly worry about restricting her, I brought honey a cage when she got spayed but she was more stressed out being in there. If they are used to free range, then personally I would leave her but just remove things that she might jump on. Honey just used to cuddle up in her favorite corner. Maybe after 48 hours when they are feeling better just keep an eye on the scar as they tend to move around more then but hopefully it should be starting to heel up by then.

I wouldn't use a collar either, all it did for Harvey was stress him out big time, obviously all bunnies are different so wait and see how she goes. Honey never touched her scar, bella didn't either but would groom her hair underneath where she got shaved. It was just a case of keeping a close eye on them xx

323756d0562638b9a54be587ba0fe7d3.jpg

Thank you everybun, I am going to change the litters now. I told them I was worried about her heart, she breathes much slower and heavier than Toby. She also seems to get out of breath easy. However they checked everything whilst I as there to put me at ease. I get to pick her up tonight if everything OK

Back