• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny but I'm sad.

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Cody passed away in August, he had lots of problems and we were very close. I miss him terribly. Almost straight away I was distracted (I still grieved and cried alot of times for him)from my grief at how lonely Olicer was . The past 5 months have been spent trying to decide if we should get a companion for Oliver and finding the perfect bunny. So she arrives on Wednesday. Now that's it's happening my grief for Cody has returned . I feel so sad that when I should have been missing him more I was looking for aother bunny. I just want Cody back fixed and able to enjoy the garden he so loved. Cody my wee son my heart is breaking again.

Last edited:
Getting a new bunny isn't taking anything away from Cody. You are trying to make Oliver happier so he's not lonely. You're giving another little bunny a lovely home. Please don't be hard on yourself, you're doing what you think is right for Oliver. I'm sure you do want Cody back as he was very much loved but you gave him a lovely life and did all you can for him. Now you're helping Oliver and another little bunny who hasn't got a home so you should be proud of yourself.

Thanks Cpayne, it's the mix of sadness for Cody and wanting him back and then truely looking forward to getting this wee girl for Oliver. She is soo lovely and she is perfect for us if Oliver likes her. I don't want Cody to think we have moved on without thinking of him :(

You shouldn't feel guilty for potentially loving another bunny. I'm sure most bunnies if they could talk would want us to rescue another bunny and help them. Loving another one doesn't mean you loved him less. You'll love her for different things, hopefully not her naughtiness!! No one will replace him in your heart and you're doing what's right for Oliver too.

Looking forward to seeing the photos :)

Cody passed away in August, he had lots of problems and we were very close. I miss him terribly. Almost straight away I was distracted (I still grieved and cried alot of times for him)from my grief at how lonely Olicer was . The past 5 months have been spent trying to decide if we should get a companion for Oliver and finding the perfect bunny. So she arrives on Wednesday. Now that's it's happening my grief for Cody has returned . I feel so sad that when I should have been missing him more I was looking for aother bunny. I just want Cody back fixed and able to enjoy the garden he so loved. Cody my wee son my heart is breaking again.

I'm going through exactly the same thing. We lost our Billy Monkey in November and a 2 weeks ago we adopted Henry to live alongside our girl, Bea. We really didn't want another bunny but with some gentle persuasion from the rescue we decided to go ahead for Bea's sake.
We're not finding it easy either. Seeing Henry with Bea upsets me, seeing Henry lying in certain places and doing certain things upsets me and makes me think that Billy should still be here.
I am taking a lot of comfort in the fact that we have given Henry a home though and Bea is the happiest that I have seen her in months. To be honest I have fallen in love with Henry already and I'm so glad that we went ahead with adopting him. I think that you will feel the same when they are finally bonded and you see how much better of Oliver is having a friend. It's healing.
What you are feeling is totally normal, I'm sure that most people in this situation feel exactly the same. Don't beat yourself up and accept that it's going to be a time of mixed emotions.
Cody was obviously so loved by you and Oliver and I'm sure that he would want you both to share that love with another bunny in need.
Xxxxx

Don't feel bad. Cody will be in your heart forever but remember, you will be sharing the love with another bunny who desperately needs it. A bunny who has been rejected and comes to you with hope that there is a little bit of love on offer.

Don't feel bad. Cody will be in your heart forever but remember, you will be sharing the love with another bunny who desperately needs it. A bunny who has been rejected and comes to you with hope that there is a little bit of love on offer.

I agree, you have not moved on without thinking of Cody. You will always think of him. But you are thinking of Oliver too and wanting him to have Bunny company again xx

You've put that so well. Makes me want to go out and rescue lots of bunnies though!

Thanks guys, was feeling sad earlier and feel a bit better now. I have to just add this bunny is actually coming from a good home with a lovely caring owner, and her owner has been so kind to let me adopt her so she can have company the same as Oliver as she is on her own too. She is 5. I know that Oliver will be happier with a companion, I really do. And I know seeing him happy again will make me happy too. Roxy, your post has been very timely and made better that these feelings r normal. Yes it will be hard seeing a new bun in places Cody would have been. I am glad u have fallen in love with Henry. And sorry for ur loss of Billy. I have seen lots of pics of our new girl and am very fond of her already , she is such a beauty and me and my husband r very excited she is allowed to come live with us. Cody was a very special boy , as we're all my bridge buns, i will never forget any of them. Thanks Jane for ur kind words, they mean alot. Xx

Last edited:
I'm glad you are feeling better now. I felt similar when Boots died, I didn't even feel able to have another rabbit at first. But then i realised that I wasn't following any of my own advice to others, and also I read a lot of lovely comments on here, this post on this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?463291-A-friend-for-Bianca-photos!/ in particular really helped me
Henry is a gorgeous bun :love: Fingers crossed for a successful date with Bianca xx

I experienced the same feelings you're going through at the moment when Snoopy and I lost Peanut Butter last year. I knew in my heart I had to get Snoopy a new friend quickly (he doesn't mind humans but his favourite thing in the world - after food!-is cuddling up to another bunny) even though it was far too soon for me personally. I was worried about how I would feel towards her. Whether I would resent her for replacing Peanut Butter? In actual fact, when we went to the rescue I just saw a little bun who desperately needed a home and who would give Snoopy the companionship he needed. I'm sure it will be the same for you when you go to meet Henry.

I always think that when it comes to pets our hearts are like a balloon. The love we feel for new pets will never displace the love we have for the ones we lost. Our hearts just grow a little bit bigger.

I was very nervous of getting another bunny, but I am so incredibly glad that we got Frosty, and I already love him dearly. He hasn't replaced Boots, and I will never forget him, but I am so relieved to have let another rabbit into our life :love: xx

Thanks Zoobec, that bit about our hearts being like a balloon is a lovely thought, thanks for sharing that. Glad u r loving Frosty and like u say he wont replace Boots, the same way our new bun won't replace Cody, we r just making room in our hearts for another bun to love.

Thanks guys, was feeling sad earlier and feel a bit better now. I have to just add this bunny is actually coming from a good home with a lovely caring owner, and her owner has been so kind to let me adopt her so she can have company the same as Oliver as she is on her own too. She is 5. I know that Oliver will be happier with a companion, I really do. And I know seeing him happy again will make me happy too. Roxy, your post has been very timely and made better that these feelings r normal. Yes it will be hard seeing a new bun in places Cody would have been. I am glad u have fallen in love with Henry. And sorry for ur loss of Billy. I have seen lots of pics of our new girl and am very fond of her already , she is such a beauty and me and my husband r very excited she is allowed to come live with us. Cody was a very special boy , as we're all my bridge buns, i will never forget any of them. Thanks Jane for ur kind words, they mean alot. Xx

Oh Nicky, I'm sorry you feel like this, but it's so normal .. What you are doing is a lovely and splendid thing. A beautiful thing for another rabbit, and a loving home that is beyond price.

Things are different and it's really hard. I'm coming to terms with things being different. It's not easy one little bit. We long for the comfort of the old days and when they were still near to us. I think Cody will always be near you, and he quite probably brought the lady bun to your house :)

Lots of love and hugs to you xx

Thank u Max for ur kind words. I am sorry u r going through change also ((hugs)) I hope Cody stays close by and will always be enjoying the garden every time we look out. He loved the garden so much it was a torture bringing him inside! I miss his gentleness, his resilience, his calmness . I miss that he did love our cuddles. . I hope he approves of our new bun. She is a beautiful girl !

Last edited:
Thank u Max for ur kind words. I am sorry u r going through change also ((hugs)) I hope Cody stays close by and will always be enjoying the garden every time we look out. He loved the garden so much it was a torture bringing him inside! I miss his gentleness, his resilience, his calmness . I miss that he did love our cuddles. . I hope he approves of our new bun. She is a beautiful girl !

When is she coming to live with you Nicky? x

Today Max today !!! Arriving around 5pm , she can have a run around the garden first as she will have had a 2 hr journey (her ower is bringing her to make sure she is settled) then in the neutral garage her and Oliver go !! I hope they like each other, the efort we have went to is unreal !

Today Max today !!! Arriving around 5pm , she can have a run around the garden first as she will have had a 2 hr journey (her ower is bringing her to make sure she is settled) then in the neutral garage her and Oliver go !! I hope they like each other, the efort we have went to is unreal !

Ah sounds like you're a little bit excited!! Looking forward to lots of photos. Fingers crossed it's love at first sight

Yes we r excited and hope it love at first sight too. I am sooooo nervous. I have bonded bunnies in about 8 years ! We have everything ready. Aw I wish I knew how to put pics up. I never could work photobucket. I wonder is there an easier way?? I hope my bridge buns will send their love and vibes to this new pairing.

Yes we r excited and hope it love at first sight too. I am sooooo nervous. I have bonded bunnies in about 8 years ! We have everything ready. Aw I wish I knew how to put pics up. I never could work photobucket. I wonder is there an easier way?? I hope my bridge buns will send their love and vibes to this new pairing.
I only know photo bucket so can't help!

I'm sure they have all their paws crossed for you and lovely Ollie, especially Cody :)

send a few to my email & I'll upload if you like. I hope it all goes well. I'm glad you found room in your heart for another bunny

Back