• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues refusing pet rabbits

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I have noticed recently that a lot of the rescues that I follow on fb have started to refuse rabbits from pet homes and are focusing more on neglect/cruelty cases.

The idea is that if they make it easy for people to surrender their rabbits then they are adding to the problem. I'm sure that rescues have heard every excuse under the sun for why people want rid of their rabbits and I agree with this plan wholeheartedly. I can't help wondering what happens next to the unwanted rabbits though and it seems like other people are thinking the same. Some people seem to really agree with this and others don't seem to understand it at all and think that by rejecting them that more rabbits will be let loose, end up in the wrong hands etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have noticed recently that a lot of the rescues that I follow on fb have started to refuse rabbits from pet homes and are focusing more on neglect/cruelty cases.
The idea is that if they make it easy for people to surrender their rabbits then they are adding to the problem. I'm sure that rescues have heard every excuse under the sun for why people want rid of their rabbits and I agree with this plan wholeheartedly. I can't help wondering what happens next to the unwanted rabbits though and it seems like other people are thinking the same. Some people seem to really agree with this and others don't seem to understand it at all and think that by rejecting them that more rabbits will be let loose, end up in the wrong hands etc. Thoughts?

The bit in bolded font, sadly :cry:

The idea is that if they make it easy for people to surrender their rabbits then they are adding to the problem. I'm sure that rescues have heard every excuse under the sun for why people want rid of their rabbits and I agree with this plan wholeheartedly. I can't help wondering what happens next to the unwanted rabbits though and it seems like other people are thinking the same. Some people seem to really agree with this and others don't seem to understand it at all and think that by rejecting them that more rabbits will be let loose, end up in the wrong hands etc.

Thoughts?

I had this when on the R.S.P.C.A. committee - we couldn't put all the rabbits that people didn't want into rescue. There were lots of rabbits being given up for reasons of 'got bored', 'can't be bothered anymore', 'no time' etc etc .... Those rabbits at least had a home for the time being. The cruelty cases that I personally took on and fostered in my own home were not able to be left for a single day longer.

I am surprised this hasn't been the case long ago - Rescues are well overstocked with unwanted rabbits :(

on a slight tangent i was shocked to hear of a charity homing a single bunny destined for life outdoors on its own-
i suppose that everywhere is so flooded by animals that they are desperate to find homes but i can't help but feel for the solo outdoor bunnies that might have an entirely different life with company ( and warmth) of their own kind.

Back