• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a bit ott?

echolouise

Young Bun
So this might seem like a bit of a no-brainer but bear with me.

Bunnies currently have a 6x8 shed with a walk in run attached to the side. The run is L shaped and comprises a 4x8 rectangle and a 6x4 rectangle and has a 6x4 shed in one corner (currently used for tools but has locked catflaps in case we need to clear it out and use it as a second bunny shed in an emergency.
The front door of the 6x8 bunny shed opens out into an enclosed bunny only garden which is 16x20. We currently have 2 rabbits, earnest (continental giant) and effie (half wildie) - the big guy really needs daily access to the big garden as he doesn't have enough space to run and jump inside the run but little lady is so small she is at risk from cats and Alcatraz style escape attempts, so I'm having to sit in the rabbit garden and supervise rather than watching from the kitchen window.

We have come up with a mad plan to build another walk in run onto the front of the 6x8 shed and measurements are roughly 9ft wide so that it connects to the existing run and 20ft long (taking it to the original rabbit boundary).

My main concerns are they will be losing 140sq feet (if it gets built then I will be reclaiming the rest of the ground back into the human garden).
They will have less human interaction time as they could safely access it unsupervised.
I have only ever seen them binky around in the open garden - will the mesh sides be like an oppressive cage to them and stop them having fun? If it is like a cage then they will quite literally spend their entire lives in it.
Is there any way to do it so that it doesn't look like an eyesore to non rabbit people? We have the corner house and our garden is almost completely visible from the road.

It's not going to be a cheap or easy project so I need to be sure it will be the right choice for them.
Have we gone off the deep end or would you build it?

So this might seem like a bit of a no-brainer but bear with me.

Bunnies currently have a 6x8 shed with a walk in run attached to the side. The run is L shaped and comprises a 4x8 rectangle and a 6x4 rectangle and has a 6x4 shed in one corner (currently used for tools but has locked catflaps in case we need to clear it out and use it as a second bunny shed in an emergency.
The front door of the 6x8 bunny shed opens out into an enclosed bunny only garden which is 16x20. We currently have 2 rabbits, earnest (continental giant) and effie (half wildie) - the big guy really needs daily access to the big garden as he doesn't have enough space to run and jump inside the run but little lady is so small she is at risk from cats and Alcatraz style escape attempts, so I'm having to sit in the rabbit garden and supervise rather than watching from the kitchen window.

We have come up with a mad plan to build another walk in run onto the front of the 6x8 shed and measurements are roughly 9ft wide so that it connects to the existing run and 20ft long (taking it to the original rabbit boundary).

My main concerns are they will be losing 140sq feet (if it gets built then I will be reclaiming the rest of the ground back into the human garden).
They will have less human interaction time as they could safely access it unsupervised.
I have only ever seen them binky around in the open garden - will the mesh sides be like an oppressive cage to them and stop them having fun? If it is like a cage then they will quite literally spend their entire lives in it.
Is there any way to do it so that it doesn't look like an eyesore to non rabbit people? We have the corner house and our garden is almost completely visible from the road.

It's not going to be a cheap or easy project so I need to be sure it will be the right choice for them.
Have we gone off the deep end or would you build it?

I am number dyslexic so it's impossible for me to picture your plans. Hopefully someone with a bit more between their ears will be along soon to comment :)

If you have the space I would. I also have a giant and if I could I'd enclose my whole garden! :lol:

However they do have a great space without it being built and then having garden time whenever possible is probably great for them - like a completely new space each time. Difficult to say really but they'd benefit from having that huge amount of room! (I'd build it, personally.)

Back